+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Re: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

In my mailbox yesterday!!!

SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE, PRECIOUS!!!!!!
    KAREN

My daughter and I may go today.
    Without looking back through the pages, I can't remember if I've mentioned this, but my dad and I read The Hobbit (and Trilogy) together when I was in college. His hobby was woodworking and he made me a "Hobbit Box" - 2 feet tall with claw feet. Every surface inside and out is carved with scenes from The Hobbit. You have to know which "bricks" to remove on the carved border to open the box. Inside, the floor has wooden "tiles" that slide in a pattern to reveal a gold ring. There are secret panels and a false wall that, when opened, reveals Smaug sitting on a pile of treasure with a removeable 3-D wooden dragon. When you remove the false top (via a belt buckle that looks like Strider), there is a round piece of red glass set into top... the red eye of Sauron. If you shine a flashlight through it, the red eye of Sauron casts a glow on all the interior scenes.
    Count your blessings!

i saw it on friday night, the 3D wasn't all that, but then again, i'm not the biggest fan of 3D, i find it unnecessary in a lot of movies, and i find the 3D glasses uncomfortable

overall, i felt it was good, but way too long, it did not need to be that long, it dragged, they should have stuck with two movies instead of 3

however, the ending was good, and i look forward to the next one, i liked the guy who played Bilbo, and the dwarfs were good but i got sick of the singing real fast

i give it a solid B

See I never understood the fascination to make the Hobbit a (movie) trilogy. It is a small very easy to read book I can understand a 2 parter to include all the details but not 3 movies and 3 years. I totally understand why they made the Lord of the Rings a 3 part movie as it does consist of 3 books. I do think the movie will suffer because of the length and not enough story. Will it still bring in money? Oh, yes, just that it won't be as successful as it could have been because of the length.
    Florimel likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I must confess that I've fallen asleep every time I've tried to watch "Lord of the Rings" (including once in a movie theater!). When I heard that "The Hobbit" was a shorter story and not as "deep," I really was looking forward to seeing it. We saw it today.

I LOVED IT!!! I had a little bit of trouble understanding what Gollum was saying, but I liked the little bits of music and everything else about it. Loved the ending, and can't wait for the next installment.

Shoot - I may even try to watch "Lord of the Rings" again.

:-)

I saw the movie today. Definitely drug in parts. I also think it could have been a 2 part movie. The book was only 300 pages. But I could sit and watch just the scenery and be happy.
    There's no place like home!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I've seen reviews now that recommend seeing the scaled down version if you are prone to motionsickness (which I am), not the 48 frames per second version. Anyone have any comment on that? Thanks!

Even the 2D version had me swaying
    There's no place like home!

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I saw the 2D version and had no problem. I'm going all out to see it in IMAX 3D on Thursday. Will let you know if there are any side effects.

Just saw it this Sunday at the 8 pm showing. Huge theater, stadium seat probably about 45 people. Saw the 2D version and it was fine although it seemed to me to be a bit out of focus especially in the beginning.

Did askthe theatre folks about the 48 frame film issue and the one guy said it really wasn't worth seeing because it looked as if the film was shot on a set and the special effects didn't look that good in that format.

The movie is 166 minutes long plus 15 minutes of trailers for a total of 3 hours. No extra scenes during the credits. Not a bad movie, but my pet peeve is that

Reelviews Movie Reviews
    The Fellowship of the Ring is 400 pages; Jackson adapted it into a three-hour theatrical release. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey covers the first 100 pages of a 270-page book; the movie version runs only 10 minutes shorter than The Fellowship of the Ring. And therein lies this production's Achilles Heel: its long-windedness. An Unexpected Journey does not earn its 168-minute running time.

I can understand making a 2 part Hobbit movie to include all the little details but not a 3 parter with each part almost 3 hours long there is just not enough detail in the book to justify a film of that length.

Movie review: The Hobbit
    In 1937, English writer J.R.R. Tolkien published his first novel The Hobbit. It was a children’s book intended for a young readership. 17 years later, Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings trilogy for people who had grown up reading The Hobbit and were now in their 30s. The Lord of the Rings has a more sophisticated plot, more complex characters and more distinct philosophical themes.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 12-31-2012 at 02:44 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread