+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Re: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

I have stuff from The Hobbit, Peter Jackson, LOTR and Ian McKellan on my FB feed, so I see it all the time now! Peter posted the video to his FB last night and then Ian posted it this morning. I can't wait to see more footage of everyone in costume, although I still maintain that it's a crime to cover up the beauty that is Aidan Turner!

I read The Hobbit about once a year, although this year's "read" was on audio while driving to LA and back for the holidays. I was about an hour from home when I finished, so I put in the first book of the LOTR. I'm about halfway through book 3 now. It's a nice switch from music while sitting in traffic.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It's been confirmed today that Ian Holm has signed on to play an older Bilbo.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Peter Jackson confirmed on his FB page that they have cast Lee Pace () as Elven King Thranduil (aka Legolas's father) and that Dean O'Gorman has been cast as Fili after the exit of Rob Kazinsky, who left the production for personal reasons/family emergency.

Also, he posted pics to his FB with Hugo Weaving, who visited the set. Could the official announcement that he will be reprising Elrond be far behind?

Peter commented not long ago, in reference to tape of Martin Freeman at a table read, that it sounded SO much like Ian Holm that he wasn't sure which one it was at first either!

Some idiot commented on PJ's FB asking when the trailer was going to be released. They started filming just over a month ago!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I just read that Orlando Bloom has signed on to play Legolas. I'm delighted. I think it was his best work that I've seen and I also think he was at his most handsome with the blond hair and sans moustache.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Holy Moly ... I'm in heaven. I love Legolas!
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I like Orlando Bloom fine, but I'm more excited about Lee Pace playing Legolas's father, Thranduil! He's delicious! As far as Orlando goes, I don't think any actor has ever become that popular from so few lines of dialogue. He spent most of all three movies gazing off into the distance and looking concerned. I always think of Joey Tribiani's "Smell the Fart" acting.

Peter Jackson has signed many actors from the trilogy whose characters are either very minor or nonexistent in The Hobbit. I only hope the plot isn't altered to include them too much. I LOVE this story, even more than LOTR. It's the first "grown-up" book my mother ever read to me (I was 7) and it's still one of my favorites. I trust PJ, but I hope he doesn't take too many liberties and includes those actors in the part of the story that is supplemented from other Tolkien writings.

Press release from the official FB page for The Hobbit :
    "THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY" AND "THE HOBBIT: THERE AND BACK AGAIN" ARE ANNOUNCED AS TITLES OF PETER JACKSON'S EPIC TWO-FILM ADAPTATION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN'S TIMELESS CLASSIC THE HOBBIT

First film slated to open on December 14, 2012 and second film to be released on December 13, 2013

New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures and MGM have announced the titles and release dates for filmmaker Peter Jackson’s two-film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s enduringly popular masterpiece The Hobbit. The first film, titled “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” will be released on December 14, 2012. The second film, titled “The Hobbit: There and Back Again,” is slated for release the following year, on December 13, 2013.

Both films are set in Middle-earth 60 years before Tolkien’s “The Lord of the Rings,” which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar®-winning “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.” The adventure of “The Hobbit” follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug.

Under Jackson’s direction, both movies are being shot consecutively in digital 3D using the latest camera and stereo technology. Filming is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.

Ian McKellen returns as Gandalf the Grey, the character he played in “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, and Martin Freeman, who just won a BAFTA TV Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the BBC series “Sherlock,” takes on the central role of Bilbo Baggins. Also reprising their roles from “The Lord of the Rings” movies are: Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Orlando Bloom as Legolas; Ian Holm as the elder Bilbo; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum. The ensemble cast also includes (in alphabetical order) Richard Armitage, Jed Brophy, Adam Brown, John Callen, Stephen Fry, Ryan Gage, Mark Hadlow, Peter Hambleton, Stephen Hunter, William Kircher, Sylvester McCoy, Bret McKenzie, Graham McTavish, Mike Mizrahi, James Nesbitt, Dean O’Gorman, Lee Pace, Mikael Persbrandt, Conan Stevens, Ken Stott, Jeffrey Thomas, and Aidan Turner.

The screenplays for “The Hobbit” films are by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson. Jackson is also producing the films, together with Fran Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham. The executive producers are Ken Kamins and Zane Weiner, with Philippa Boyens serving as co-producer.

“The Hobbit” films are productions of New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing being handled by MGM.
    I looked for another site that had this posted so I could link, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere but FB yet. Even theonering doesn't even have it.

Pictures from the set (including Martin Freeman as Bilbo and some dwarves in the background!): Martin Freeman | 'Hobbit' First Look: 3 Pics! | Photo 1 of 3 | EW.com

We now have pics of 10 dwarves! http://movies.ign.com/articles/118/1181874p1.html
    The still managed to make Aidan Turner look hot!

Now we only need to see Dwalin, Balin and Thorin....

Peter Jackson also confirmed in the last month that Benedict Cumberbatch will be the voice of Smaug.

Orlando Bloom reviving his Legolas role!!!!!! I'm not an OB fan, but I am a HUGE fan of his Legolas. I have a life-sized poster of Legolas.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread