+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Re: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Things are progressing more quickly now! We have a Bilbo!
    Martin Freeman Confirmed As Bilbo!
    I like Martin Freeman a lot and think he'll do a terrific job in the role.
    The dwarves are being cast as well: The Hobbit Gets Its Bilbo—and Many Dwarfs! - E! Online

All this makes me want to go read the book again. For many years, I read it once a year, but I think it's been 4 or 5 years since I last read it. Feels like it's time again.

Now if the problems with the actors union in NZ can get cleared up, filming can start in early 2011!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I agree that Martin Freeman will make an excellent Bilbo. I can't wait for the new movies!

I'm so dorkily excited about this movie! Cate Blanchett is in as Galadriel, which is weird, since she's not in the book. I assume this is more of the expansion to two movies. I'm okay with the addition, since she's been a part of the story already. They've also cast Beorn , Nori and Bifur and a few others.
    'The Hobbit': Cate Blanchett joins the cast as Galadriel | Inside Movies | EW.com

Overall I thought PJ did a good job with the LOTR trilogy, but I hope they are cut a little quicker. The LOTR were too long IMO, but for just too many walking shots, walking through the woods, walking over the mountains, walking through the fields, walking walking walking, if you cut the walking scenes down it would have taken about an hour out of each episode almost which would have been about perfect. I realize there had to be a little of that, but to me it drug them all out unnecessarily long, and didn't let them flow continuously like they could have. And the one complaint I hear from others that didn't get the LOTR was just this, too long, too much walking.

Quote Originally Posted by ActMax;4133410;
    Overall I thought PJ did a good job with the LOTR trilogy, but I hope they are cut a little quicker. The LOTR were too long IMO, but for just too many walking shots, walking through the woods, walking over the mountains, walking through the fields, walking walking walking, if you cut the walking scenes down it would have taken about an hour out of each episode almost which would have been about perfect. I realize there had to be a little of that, but to me it drug them all out unnecessarily long, and didn't let them flow continuously like they could have. And the one complaint I hear from others that didn't get the LOTR was just this, too long, too much walking.
    See, and as a fan of the books, I thought even the extended cuts left too much out! I think there had to be that much walking to convey how long the journey took. Even so, it seemed much faster to me, since it was months and months before they got to where they were going in the books.

Although it's been assumed all along, now it's official: Andy Serkis and Ian Mckellan have officially signed on: Parallel Universe on MSN: Gollum, Gandalf on board for Peter Jackson's 'The Hobbit'

They have also signed Elijah Wood and are working on Christopher Lee and Ian Holm (to play the older Bilbo). I hope they aren't planning on casting EVERYONE from LOTR. I want the focus to be on the characters from The Hobbit. Maybe these other characters will help to fill in the story a bit, although I think there's plenty of material in the book already to make two movies.

Hobbit geeks behold the full press conference with lots of cast members in New Zealand: The Hobbit media conference ? full video - Entertainment - Video - 3 News
    It includes most of the dwarves and Martin Freeman, who will play Bilbo. The camera work isn't great and the sound is off at times, PLUS it clearly wasn't filmed for the internet, but it's still cool. Tiny bunch of press people. No Peter Jackson, since he's still recovering from his ulcer surgery. On a purely shallow note: Aidan Turner....and Richard Armitage

Filming begins next month!
    Last edited by Critical; 02-12-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Okay, is anyone else reading this thread? I'm feeling like a total geek updating this yet again, but Peter Jackson just posted the first video from the set on his FB page: Peter Jackson | Facebook

You can see Bag End, Rivendell, some camera blocking with cast members, a bit of the tunnels of the Misty Mountains and behind the scenes in several different departments. The video is over 10 minutes long. I'm giddy.

That was a sweet video blog thanks Critical.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm watching and reading all things Hobbit, Critical. I reread the books several months ago and just rewatched the Lord of the Rings trilogy this past weekend. Thanks for the video link.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread