+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Re: The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV;2949285;
    So apparently the news broke yesterday that the director of Pans Labrynth Guillermo Del Toro, will be directing The Hobbit, not Peter Jackson.

I'm not sure how I feel about that? But I *am* excited to see these books come to life. I adored TLOTR trilogy, but I don't know if that was sentimental or if I truly needed Peter Jackson's eye on things.
    When they announced that Peter Jackson was back on the project a while back, they did mention he was only going to be the producer, not the director. They just hadn't signed the director yet. Jackson will - to my knowledge - be working on the screenplay with Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

The Hobbit is one of my top five favorite books. I read it about every year and have since I was seven. I'm sure Peter Jackson will do as excellent a job on this one as he did on the trilogy. Even though he isn't directing, I'm sure he'll be in control. Plus, del Toro is hugely talented. They wouldn't have hired him if they didn't have faith in his ability to bring the story to life. I think Jackson knows how beloved this story is.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Peter Jackson was the logical choice but del Toro is also a good choice. Neither director will dissapoint the fans.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I think del Toro will be brilliant, and I'm excited about this announcement. He's an inspired director. I don't remember paying attention too well but I had the impression that Peter Jackson was never signed up to direct it. I think he signed one of the best choices out there. I also read that he's going to devote 4 years to making the movie (or movies, as I've heard it will be split into two). Pan's Labyrinth was a gut-wrenching movie, but it was surreal and magical and amazing. I know it will be worth the wait.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

You're right, hep, Peter Jackson was never on board as director. He's always been on board as producer (and, of course, writer)....at least since he and New Line decided to make nice. I'm not sure what the unofficial agreement was before all the money nastiness happened over the LOTR films. ITA - Pan's Labyrinth was gut-wrenching and fabulous. I have no doubt del Toro will do an amazing job. I'm sure Jackson wouldn't hire someone unless he knew they would honor the material and the millions of fans who love the book. No pressure, right?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

In case anyone is interested, Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro did a chat this weekend about the film. They talk a lot about adapting the book and how GDT is approaching doing the films in the shadow of PJ. Really interesting for the LOTR/Tolkien fan The chat was on WETA's site, but the chat log is at The One Ring.
    Welcome to the ‘Unexpected Party’ chat

Also, here's an article confirming the location and the casting of Ian McKellen as Gandalf (). I didn't think they'd cast someone else, but I was happy to have it confirmed. Andy Serkis is also back as Gollum.
    McKellen, New Zealand location confirmed for Hobbit films

Sun May 25, 2:29 AM ET

WELLINGTON (AFP) - Sir Ian McKellen will return in the role of Gandalf for two big-budget movies based on the JRR Tolkein book "The Hobbit," the films' director Guillermo del Toro confirmed Sunday.

Both movies would be filmed entirely in New Zealand, where the Oscar-winning Tolkien "Lord of the Rings" trilogy was shot.

Mexican film-maker del Toro and the Hobbit films' executive producer Peter Jackson released details of the latest project during an hour-long live Internet chat with fans.

Del Toro said "Lord of The Rings" stars McKellen and Andy Serkis (Gollum) would return for the Hobbit films but actors for new characters were not yet decided.

Jackson said Hobbiton would be rebuilt "bigger and even better than it was" in the "Lord of the Rings."

"It is unlikely we will need any locations outside of New Zealand which has always been the perfect Middle Earth," Jackson said.

"There is nothing yet that Tolkien has described that we haven't managed to find in this amazing little country and I expect 'The Hobbit' to be no different."

Del Toro was confirmed as director last month after the project was given the go-ahead when Jackson and Hollywood studio New Line ended a lengthy quarrel over dividends from the "Lord of the Rings" series.

The trilogy brought in nearly three billion dollars in global box office takings, not counting DVD sales, and the movies between them won 17 Oscars.

In 2004, the final installment "The Return of the King" was awarded the best picture Oscar, the first time ever that a fantasy film won the award.

"The Hobbit" is set in Middle Earth and is a prelude to the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

The book tells the story of how the hobbit Bilbo Baggins sets off on a quest accompanied by 13 dwarves and Gandalf the wizard to confront a dragon.

Pre-production work on the films will begin in 2009 and the films will be shot back-to-back, beginning in 2010. "The Hobbit" is set to be released in December 2011 and the second as yet untitled film in December 2012.
    McKellen, New Zealand location confirmed for Hobbit films - Yahoo! News

I kind of take issue with the bolded statement. They don't go to confront a dragon, they go to steal his gold. The article makes it sound like they all just go to give him a good talking to! Yeah, I'm a Hobbit geek.

A bit of a sidebar here but I read that Peter Jackson optioned the rights to Naomi Novik's first book in the Tremaire series. That would be an awesome movie to see if it gets made. The series is set during the Napolionic Wars and is about a British naval captain who joins the British Air Corp. Huh, you say there weren't any planes in 1812. Well in this universe there are dragons and all the countries involved in the war have an Air Corp that consists of dragons and their crews.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

Can't wait for this, will be great, am glad that Gandalf and gollum will be played by the same people as in lotr

Two parts? I wonder if they will split The Hobbit into two parts or whether they will do The Silmarillon and The Hobbit?

My understading is that much of the action from the book of The Hobbit will be pretty much in one film and the other film will possibly bridge some of the time between the time when Bilbo returns home and where the story picks up in Fellowship. At least that's the feeling I got. There's certainly plenty of other material out there by Tolkein and he's used a bit of info from The Silmarillion before. I don't see why, if he was just using material from The Hobbit that there would be a need to stretch it over two films: that book is shorter than any of the books in the trilogy.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3104100;
    I don't see why, if he was just using material from The Hobbit that there would be a need to stretch it over two films: that book is shorter than any of the books in the trilogy.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
    They'll probably add a bunch of stuff from the Silmarillon, gorgeous vistas of NZ, and put them out as two parts, each three hours long at the theatres and twice as long in the Special Edition DVD set.

+ Reply to Thread