+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Re: Peter Jackson to make "The Hobbit"

Loved the first one and just watched the second. One thing that stuck out to me was Legolas' eyes. In the LoTR series, he was brown-eyed but in the Hobbit he is wearing obvious blue contacts. He is my favorite and this is just irritating. I am sure I will get over it but still ...
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Orlando wore blue contacts in the LOTR trilogy as well...lrotktdecision3.jpg
    Here's another image: 725229_1306137728021_full.jpg

I really liked the first movie, but I'm still deciding how I feel about #2. I should say that I've probably read The Hobbit (or listened to it) at least a few dozen times. I know it backwards and forwards. I wasn't happy with how much got added or changed in the movie. I understand that Peter Jackson needed to amp up the action and drama, but I still bristled at the changes. As a movie on its own, I enjoyed it, but as an adaptation of probably my favorite book in the world, I think I kind of hated it.
    Last edited by Critical; 01-01-2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really don't mind the additions that bring back some of my favorite characters. Tolkien wrote so much extra material in his appendices and other books about the series, fiction and non-fiction, that I think many of them come from material he created.
    mesachick likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I totally agree Florimel.

I didn't read all of The Hobbit, but even the bit I did read was decades ago, so I suppose that's part of why it doesn't bother me. I love that Legolas is in the last two Hobbit movies. It also helps tie the franchise of the two movies (The Hobbit and LoTR series)together. I heard an interview with Peter Jackson in where he said that he did pull a lot of material from the appendices and The Silmarillion for all of the Tolkien movies that he's done. It just adds more personality and depth to what was in the main books. A lot of folks also feel that Tolkien was most likely planning to continue to write another book about Middle Earth.

Anyway - I enjoyed the movie greatly. I was lucky and was out of town so I got to see it in IMAX 3-D
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Oh, I don't care about the cast additions from the LOTR movies, aside from thinking that Orlando Bloom is a deadly dull actor. I don't think Legolas really adds anything, but I don't care that he's in the movie.

My issue is with the major changes to the plot, including the addition of Tauriel and the ridiculous flirtation with Kili. They start where they start in the book and end up where they end up, but almost nothing else is the same in tone or actual event. How they encounter Beorn is totally different and much less entertaining than in the book. A few moments from Mirkwood are the same - the spiders and Bilbo climbing the tree, although how they happen is totally different (even the butterflies are a different color). When he climbs the tree in the book, it's a big point that he cannot see the end of the forest because of the topography. How they encounter the elves is different. Pretty much the whole thing in Laketown is different and pretty much ALL of what happens when they arrive at Erebor (aside from a little of Bilbo's encounter with Smaug) is different too. The stuff with the dwarves coming to help Bilbo and the whole chase in the halls and the stuff with the gold didn't happen in the book.

None of the changes I had a problem with came from the appendices (which I, admittedly haven't read in a while - maybe 10 years) or from The Silmarillion. The addition of more scenes with Gandalf away from the group and more with Thranduil was totally fine with me.

Unfortunately, since I've read the book so many times, it's not a case of "Oh, I wish I'd waited to read the book." I know it too well. Back when they announced the movie, I had a feeling I'd feel this way since it's one of my very favorites. I love the LOTR trilogy, but it's different for me. I read that when I was a little older. The Hobbit was the first "grown up" book my mom ever read to me - I was six or seven.

On it's own, it was a good movie, but as a adaptation? Not so much.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I know it's extremely far-fetched but I hope against hope that "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran gets nominated for original movie song. It mesmerized me in the theater and perfectly captured the tone of the movie. And now I can't stop listening to it.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug

Hi! Just got back from watching The Hobbit - ...Smaug. Wow! LOVED it. Amazing 3D and lots of oh-oh moments! The ending left you hanging.....(no spoilers). Who else has seen this movie? Tauriel (Evangeline Lily) was awesome..nice to at least see a woman represented as a skilled fighter!

Can anyone tell me how Ghandolf came back? I thought he was killed off in the last movie with Lord of the Rings? Is he still alive in The Hobbit series? Can't remember what was in the books.

Anyone know? When is the next movie coming out? Need to see what happened!

Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Re: The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    Hi! Just got back from watching The Hobbit - ...Smaug. Wow! LOVED it. Amazing 3D and lots of oh-oh moments! The ending left you hanging.....(no spoilers). Who else has seen this movie? Tauriel (Evangeline Lily) was awesome..nice to at least see a woman represented as a skilled fighter!

Can anyone tell me how Ghandolf came back? I thought he was killed off in the last movie with Lord of the Rings? Is he still alive in The Hobbit series? Can't remember what was in the books.

Anyone know? When is the next movie coming out? Need to see what happened!

The Hobbit came before the trilogy.

+ Reply to Thread