+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Am Legend

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I Am Legend

Link Here

Robert Neville is a brilliant scientist, but even he could not contain the terrible virus that was unstoppable, incurable, and man-made. Somehow immune, Neville is now the last human survivor in what is left of New York City and maybe the world. For three years, Neville has faithfully sent out daily radio messages, desperate to find any other survivors who might be out there. But he is not alone. Mutant victims of the plague -- The Infected -- lurk in the shadows... watching Neville's every move... waiting for him to make a fatal mistake. Perhaps mankind's last, best hope, Neville is driven by only one remaining mission: to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus using his own immune blood. But he knows he is outnumbered... and quickly running out of time.
    Official Website

Anyone seen this movie yet?

My son and I are huge fans of Will Smith so we always try to go see his movies and this was one of the movies that we wanted to go see on opening night.

The 7:00 showing that we went to was sold out, as was several other showings on Friday night.

Its a PG-13 movie but while there were none (that I can remember) cuss words...the "Dark Seekers" (mutant victims) are quite graphic and scary.

We loved this movie. IMO, Will Smith is great in this one...he's funny, he sings a little plus you get to see his muscled torso while he does bar pull-ups

The graphics in this movie were awesome....tough seeing NYC completely wiped out, the Brooklyn Bridge torn into, Times Square desolate and grown up with weeds.

This is definitely one we will purchase for our video library when it comes out.

As a sidenote: anyone who is a fan of "Lost"...they showed a preview of the upcoming season! Will Smith AND a preview of the new season of Lost... Yeah, we were happy campers Friday night!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Re: I Am Legend

I want to see this. I just heard that it's like the 4th remake of this movie and that it was a book also.

Must go look that up myself and see if it's true.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I loved the novel, but I have to say I feel a wee bit sceptical about Will Smith as Neville. He's a funny guy, but I am Legend is not supposed to be funny. The novel is a truly frightening, darkly dystopian tale, and I just don't see Will Smith pulling it off. Ah well, I'm usually disappointed with how movie adaptations of novels I've read and loved turn out, so nothing new there. I'll probably rent it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

He is funny but in this movie its usually humor with a irony at his situation...being just him and his dog he injects humor at their situation. Imagine being in NYC and its just you and your dog and the day to day life that you knew and loved is completely gone...that's where the humor comes in at...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2723604;
    He is funny but in this movie its usually humor with a irony at his situation...being just him and his dog he injects humor at their situation. Imagine being in NYC and its just you and your dog and the day to day life that you knew and loved is completely gone...that's where the humor comes in at...
    I think he'd probably be good. But I've never read the book.

I've found that I'm better off seeing the movie first and then reading the book afterwards. I'm usually disappointed if I read the book first and then saw the movie. But the other way around, then I seem to be ok with both.

Link Here

'I Am Legend': Will Power
    By Nicole Sperling

Will Smith flexes his box office muscle -- sci-fi pic's $76.5 mil opening weekend is best ever in December. Meanwhile, Christmas comes early for ''Alvin and the Chipmunks''; its surprisingly strong $45 mil start will buy a lot of hula hoops

I will never underestimate the box office power of Will Smith again. The indefatigable actor proved once more that he is the No. 1 movie star in the world, with an incredible $76.5 million opening for the sci-fi flick I Am Legend. Smith not only beat his own personal-best box office opening-day numbers ($52.2 million for 2004's I, Robot), but Legend eclipsed Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King to become the highest-grossing December opener ever.
    Good to see that there were others joining me and my son at the theaters this weekend!

I haven't seen this movie yet, but what I've heard is that its a tear jerker but its also very good. I can't wait to go see it.

FORT Fanatic

While we haven't yet seen the movie, it has brought about a lot of discussion between myself and my kids as to what we'd do if in Neville's situation. Looking forward to seeing it

MRD

Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank is a great book about survivors in Florida following a nuclear war. It's an older book, but it's great. I read it in high school and I remember my family having similar discussions to yours above about what we'd do if that happened.

My mom said she'd buy as much whiskey and cigerettes as she could because money would be useless and those 2 items would be better than gold for trading.

I realize this is the movie, not the book thread, but since its "kinda, sorta" similar to I am Legend, thought it might be a good read for those of you that liked this book and movie.

OK, this will will sound crazy, but I know how the book ends. Could someone please spoiler me
    Click to see Spoiler:
    if the Will Smith character dies in the end
    ? I don't need details, but it will make a differnce if I see this in the theater, or wait for the DVD. Thanks!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast