Thread: The Other Boleyn Girl

FORT Fogey

Re: The Other Boleyn Girl

Who's the author of the book?
    Philippa Gregory.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Thanks!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2903400;
    I didn't like the movie either. The whole thing seemed just so poorly done and rushed. But then, I think I got spoiled watching those sumptuous Tudors episodes, which are part fantasy as well, but at least they are much better executed.
    I think this may have been part of the problem for me too. Actually the film makers could have stuck closer to the book had they used Mary as a narrator. Just a thought
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I was really excited to see this movie but its been getting a lot of mixed reviews.
    "For what it's worth you're like the first juicy booty to make it on the runway."

I loved this movie. I suppose it helps that I hadn't read the book or any reviews before seeing it.

I don't really mind that they made everything look like they took place quickly rather than over a couple of years, as in real life. Historical accuracy, time wise, wouldn't improve the movie, IMO. I like the feeling of all the bad things coming at once! No need for "3 Years Later" or "9 Months Later" to continually flash at the bottom of the screen.

Afterwards I looked up the Boleyn family (on Wikipedia). The production really did make Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson look like the real-life sisters! King Henry on the other hand was nowhere as good-looking as he was in the movie. :nono
    2003-2008.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Not even the young Henry?

I didn't see any resemblance between the Henry they showed us (the actor) and the older, real-life Henry portraits... I don't think men can change so drastically over the years, unless they're Michael Jackson.
    2003-2008.

ACtually Tickety Henry as a young man was known to be handsome and lean as he was a very active sportsman. It was only after a fall from his horse injured his leg (and never recovered until his dying day) that kept him from exercise, by his 40's he was quite obese. And filmmakers seem to ignore the fact that Henry was a red-head so I've never seen a historically accurate depiction of Henry's looks.

Hmmm. I suppose "handsome" is subjective, because looking at the portrait of him here, I find him average-looking. I have read that he was handsome in his younger days before the fall, though, I suppose I just can't see it. I haven't seen any film use a redhead for Henry either, I wonder why... they got the clothes and everything else down!

Anyway, nice to meet you! I noticed we joined FORT around the same time.
    2003-2008.

Nice to meet you too! I don't think we've crossed paths before.
    I don't find Henry particuarly attractive myself but Anne Boleyn was supposed to be a great beauty too and I just don't see it, she looks plain to me.(in the portraits I've seen)

Congratulations on your acceptance to Duke.. I wish you minimal homework and lots of good times.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast