+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: National Treasure 2

MRD

Re: National Treasure 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2707731;
    That's great, mrd! I stand up and applaud anyone who goes into the field, and a double standing-O to anyone who helps children become interested in history. I've always said that no story is more interesting, intriguing, and fascinating than true stories from history. There's no fiction writer around that can create the drama that you can find in any history book of any time and place. And whatever it takes to increase interest in history, I'm all for it. So, good for you! I wish you many many years of satisfaction and happiness in your career in a historical field, and am happy to see that not everyone believes history is boring.
    I wouldn't need a job in any field if I had a dollar for for everytime I heard this (from my own child even).
    We have a great program at the museum and we have had a family donate a trunk that belonged to one of their family members. It has EVERYthing and I do mean EVERYTHING that was issued to a soldier in WWI. Except his gun and boots. We have his pack, cartridge belt, mess kit, gas mask, literaly just EVERYTHING. So having great visual aids helps. Today after 6 classes the program director at the museum asked the kids what was their favorite part and they said "the classroom", she ran up the stairs to tell me. I was thrilled to hear it. I really get the kids involved and we let them actually touch stuff, wear the helmet, put on the trench coat, etc. They are so eager to answer questions and ask others. I do admit I am rather unorthadox. I get in the room with the kids and don't stand at the head, I go to all the tables and so now they call what I do "performance art".
    I just get so excited and I love it so much, that I think the kids catch the fever. Not trying to toot my won horn, but I have observed the intern doing the classroom session and the kids are fidgeting, bored, whispering to each other within 5 mn. of her lesson. I'm loud, boisterous and I don't mind the kids shouting out stuff when I ask it. I just have a great time with them and I hope it inspires them to learn more.

Anyway, thanks for the standing O. I've really loved history all my life and I'm loving being a part of the museum experience and the kids are the best part of it. Besides, where else can I put on a gas mask, helmet and pack and walk around looking like an idiot in front of 11 year olds. I mean, really, no where else will you see THAT!

It just blows me away what the kids already know. I get questions that stun me as most adults don't know some of this stuff.

As for National Treasure (yeah, better mention that), I do think it might spark some interest in history. There are a lot of great true stories, but not many that involve vast amounts of treasure, so in that regard, if people go looking through history because of a treasure hunt, they will be disappointed, but if you look at history as the treasure hunt and the great stories and stuff you find as the treasure, then that is the REAL National Treasure.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thats cool that you are into history.. I'm not really sure how accurate National Treasure 2 will be but I kind of like that... Its interesting that it may have SOME basis so that it makes it an action adventure movie even MORE interesting...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Yeah! This family LOVED National Treasure and we are eagerly awaiting Book of Secrets.

I'm thrilled to read there as so many fans. The first movie got panned horribly by the critics, but I know of more people who really enjoyed it. The first one had it all, mystery, adventure, thriller, cheesy parts.....great stuff.

Bring on Dec. 21st!

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;2719802;
    Yeah! This family LOVED National Treasure and we are eagerly awaiting Book of Secrets.

I'm thrilled to read there as so many fans. The first movie got panned horribly by the critics, but I know of more people who really enjoyed it. The first one had it all, mystery, adventure, thriller, cheesy parts.....great stuff.

Bring on Dec. 21st!
    I'd forgotten about the horrible scathing critics had given it, talldede, but you're right, they did! Just reinforces my opinion that movie critics should never be listened to.

Really looking forward to this movie coming out.

(OT: love your new avatar, talldede!)
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2719812;
    I'd forgotten about the horrible scathing critics had given it, talldede, but you're right, they did! Just reinforces my opinion that movie critics should never be listened to.

My husband and I have a system for movies. If the critics hate it, we go see it and love it. If the critics love it, we pass it up.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2719812;

Hi Nemeses - Thank you. My alma mater is the cougars and I'm a cat lover as well. Looks like we may have that in common too.

Yeah, critics.....phooey. They are a weird bunch, aren't they? This family really enjoyed Evan Almighty and they panned that one as well. We may have to adopt your system myrosiedog, good one.

GMA inteviewed Nicholas Cage this morning, and he said the sequel is better than the original...I know...but still. I love National Treasure (the original) and did watch the repeat on SciFi. That was one movie I felt safe enough to try the itune movie download. Of course, I burned a disc but it won't play on my DVD player, only on the computer.

After the first movie, NBC put together the reality show, Treasure Hunters, and I know many of us had fun with that. The new movie seems to follow in the TV show's footsteps in that it will go overseas and to some of the national monuments with a concentration on Civil War era history. The clip they showed this morning featured Jefferson's home and a secret tunnel and the President...looked really intriguing...I can't wait.

Oh, have any of you seen The Librarian and its sequels. Even more fantasy (a whole lot more) but once again in the Indiana Jones type of stories.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Arielflies, I have seen and enjoyed the Librarian series. I thought the first was a little better than the second, especially with the Bob Newhart fight scene, but found both to be entertaining. The second had Gabrielle Anwar, whom I hadn't seen before, but now enjoy on Burn Notice.

I saw a clip from National Treasure 2 today on Regis and Kelly and am now even more eager to see it.

I rarely listen to critics. If they knew as much as they claim to know, their opinions wouldn't vary as much as they do.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I agree with all of you on the critics. Somehow, many of their "two star" movies end up being some of my favorites!! I can't wait for National Treasure 2
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

MRD

I think the critics think every film should be "art" or some grand sweeping movie that only comes along once every few years with great acting, writing, directing, etc. that sweeps all the awards.

I don't think they realize that movies are sometimes just movies and that all most of us want is to be entertained for 2 hours. I don't always need a high brow movie to stimulate my mind or a grand saga worthy of a million oscars.
    Sometimes I just want a really good story to take my mind off all my little problems for 2 hours.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast