+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: National Treasure 2

Re: National Treasure 2

I have been watching the behind the scenes clips for some background on the plot for NT2. This video looks into the history behind the "missing 18 pages from the President's book" which the plot seems to be based around: VIDEO: National Treasure: Book of Secrets - Missing 18 Pages

I really like that idea that the plot may be based on actual conspiracies withing the government...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Just a note for anyone who might want a refresher viewing of the original National Treasure movie. It's being aired on tv tonight, on the Sci-Fi channel. My cable feed is airing it at 6pm PST/9pm Eastern, but you might want to double check your own local listings for the times.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Newbie

I can't wait till this movie comes out, Nicolas is my favorite actor.. And NT 1 was a really good movie.

Speaking of Nicolas Cage: I just read this article Cage Wants 'Global' Feel for NATIONAL TREASURE 3 on him discussing a 3rd National Treasure and how he would like it to be even more international than the second... I think that would be a great idea because there is soooo much world history they could touch on and it would be pretty fascinating!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2653224;
    Ed Harris is one of the most underrated actors of the past 20 years, in my opinion. Loved him in The Rock, especially. But he really brings it to the part in whatever movie he's in. Not classically attractive, but he really grows on a person, and add that to his likeability factor, I think he's attractive in a unique way. He's got a wonderful smile.
    I absolutely love Ed Harris! So glad I just saw this - havent' seen the trailer yet. This is starting to sound like the Ed Harris thread but I've loved everything he's done. He was so romantic in Stepmom. Loved him in The Abyss, in Absolute Power, as well as the other mainstream movies he's made. Love, love, love him!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Toby;2697690;
    I have been watching the behind the scenes clips for some background on the plot for NT2. This video looks into the history behind the "missing 18 pages from the President's book" which the plot seems to be based around: VIDEO: National Treasure: Book of Secrets - Missing 18 Pages

I really like that idea that the plot may be based on actual conspiracies withing the government...
    I just rewatched the first one and I can't wait for the 2nd one. Having said that, just know that anything they do is very loosely based on any actual facts. While I typically love historical movies because they inspire me to learn more about the actual history, these movies contain very little actual fact based history, so take what you see with a grain of salt.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2706251;
    I just rewatched the first one and I can't wait for the 2nd one. Having said that, just know that anything they do is very loosely based on any actual facts. While I typically love historical movies because they inspire me to learn more about the actual history, these movies contain very little actual fact based history, so take what you see with a grain of salt.
    Oh, definately, mrd I minored in History at the university, so watching so-called 'historical dramas' had a tendency to be very distracting for me when I was younger, as I was more interested in counting out all the inaccuracies in the movie than actually enjoying the movie itself, lol. But after a few years of that, and few friends telling me to shut up when watching those kinds of movies with me, I finally learned to just relax and enjoy the movie (or hate it if it were a bad one) and just be amused at inaccuracies unless they were supposedly a docudrama.

One of the things I do like about good movies that are loosely based on historical events and/or facts, is that even though they're full of inaccuracies, if it's a good movie it tends to get viewers interested in history -- even if it's only for a short time. Viewers often come home after the movie (or after watching it on tv at home) and do internet research on the subject, or buy books on the subject, etc. to learn more about it. And I love it when anything gets people more interested in history.

Now.... if only I could figure out how to get more people as into the History Channel as I am, so we could have threads about it's shows here....
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I am SOOOOOOO ready for this movie to start...I can't wait to see it...I can watch National Treasure over and over and its just one of those movies I never get tired of watching
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2706271;
    Oh, definately, mrd I minored in History at the university, so watching so-called 'historical dramas' had a tendency to be very distracting for me when I was younger, as I was more interested in counting out all the inaccuracies in the movie than actually enjoying the movie itself, lol. But after a few years of that, and few friends telling me to shut up when watching those kinds of movies with me, I finally learned to just relax and enjoy the movie (or hate it if it were a bad one) and just be amused at inaccuracies unless they were supposedly a docudrama.

One of the things I do like about good movies that are loosely based on historical events and/or facts, is that even though they're full of inaccuracies, if it's a good movie it tends to get viewers interested in history -- even if it's only for a short time. Viewers often come home after the movie (or after watching it on tv at home) and do internet research on the subject, or buy books on the subject, etc. to learn more about it. And I love it when anything gets people more interested in history.

Now.... if only I could figure out how to get more people as into the History Channel as I am, so we could have threads about it's shows here....

I just had this discussion with the museum historian. She HATES historical fiction. But I think that while it may not be totally accurate, if it inspires people to find out more, then I am all for it. Because that is what I do. I will see something or read something and go find books or other info on it to read and learn more.

However, the National Treasure movie had very little historical fact. There has never been a hidden treasure and the Dec. of Indep. has no map on it.
    And the new one seems to be in the same vein. The problem with conspiracies is that once a few people find out about them, they tend to no longer be kept secret and are no longer conspiracies. Not to say that all conspiracies are untrue, but the majority of them probably are. It's hard to keep secrets, even within the government. Maybe especially within the government.

But the first one was very entertaining. And some movies are more accurate than others. And I can't wait to see the 2nd one. But I will go to see it knowing that its a work of fiction.

I am a history channel fanatic, I do wish we could discuss some of the shows.

I am majoring in history and volunteering in a history museum (I taught 6 classes of 5th graders today WWI history) and so we watch a lot of History Channel and Military Channel.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2706802;
    I am a history channel fanatic, I do wish we could discuss some of the shows.

I am majoring in history and volunteering in a history museum (I taught 6 classes of 5th graders today WWI history) and so we watch a lot of History Channel and Military Channel.
    That's great, mrd! I stand up and applaud anyone who goes into the field, and a double standing-O to anyone who helps children become interested in history. I've always said that no story is more interesting, intriguing, and fascinating than true stories from history. There's no fiction writer around that can create the drama that you can find in any history book of any time and place. And whatever it takes to increase interest in history, I'm all for it. So, good for you! I wish you many many years of satisfaction and happiness in your career in a historical field, and am happy to see that not everyone believes history is boring.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast