+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Compass

MRD

The Golden Compass

I just recently got an email from a friend asking me to boycott this movie because its about atheism. And supposedly snopes dot com has a bit about this all being true.

Just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about it?

I can say for one that I've been wanting to see it and someone telling me NOT to go see for those reasons probably means all the more reason that I'll go.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: The Golden Compass

mrd.... I've read the first of the trilogy and it is about a child that is sent in search of destroying a vengeful God-like entity. With the way he has described Lyra's orphanage at the beginning of The Golden Compass... it almost comes off as he's more against the structure of religion rather than against all God-like entities. It's the control aspect... the perceived "mind-washing" of the masses who follow blindly that seem to be the target. But then.. I've only read the first book and it's been a few years.

Philip Pullman is a well known atheist, so I do not doubt that there is a safe foundation for the Christian argument that there are anti-religious overtones in the books and therefore the movie.

Now whether the movie actively promotes atheism is open to interpretation.
    Last edited by Broadway; 10-30-2007 at 09:46 AM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2637936;
    mrd.... I've read the first of the trilogy and it is about a child that is sent in search of destroying a vengeful God-like entity. With the way he has described Lyra's orphanage at the beginning of The Golden Compass... it almost comes off as he's more against the structure of religion rather than against all God-like entities. It's the control aspect... the perceived "mind-washing" of the masses who follow blindly that seem to be the target. But then.. I've only read the first book and it's been a few years.

Philip Pullman is a well known atheist, so I do not doubt that there is a safe foundation for the Christian argument that there are anti-religious overtones in the books and therefore the movie.

Now whether the movie actively promotes atheism is open to interpretation.
    Like Harry Potter promotes witchcraft? Give me a break. It's a movie and there have certainly been other movies with plotlines that weren't "Christian".

The email I got was how Hollywood is trying to corrupt our young people's minds. Well I think that ship has already sailed.
    Oh please is all I want to say to these people. What I think is funny is that the more people hear the message about boycotting the movie, I think the more will go to see what its all about. Seems to me that that argument usually always backfires on the people planning the boycott.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I received TWO emails about this movie. Geesh. I had never even thought to take my kids to it because I didn't think it was a kids movie. From what I've read, the movie is about killing a senile God. Not THE God or OUR God, just a senile God. There have been Gods in other movies that have been both good and bad, lived and died. So I don't think my kids (if they are ever interested) will even blink twice about another movie about mystical creatures and Gods and monsters. Give me a break.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

For heaven's sake. I've read the books this is based on, and they're excellent. I know the author is an athiest, and in the end there IS a death of a god-figure (not in the Golden Compass story, either; two books on), but I took the overall theme of the story to be one of universal harmony and love -- that changing one thing in the universe can affect all things. It makes me wonder if the people who call for these boycotts even read the books or watch the movies.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I've read the books, too, and they are wonderful. I would not hestitate to take a child to see them. The child's age would be a consideration, not because of the god non-issue, but because the books contain a lot of violence that would probably be too scary for a very young child.

On the other hand, I've heard that the studio execs may be "tweaking" some of the story in the name of political correctness and pressure from the religious right. That WOULD be a disappointment.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;2638306;
    On the other hand, I've heard that the studio execs may be "tweaking" some of the story in the name of political correctness and pressure from the religious right. That WOULD be a disappointment.
    I have heard that some of the religious aspects are downplayed. I don't know how much "tweaking" was involved though we will probably hear more closer to the movie's premiere date. Haven't read the books myself but the movie looks good.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2637947;
    Like Harry Potter promotes witchcraft? Give me a break. It's a movie and there have certainly been other movies with plotlines that weren't "Christian".
    Just one small disclaimer... I didn't say that I actually agreed with the complaints because I don't. I'm just trying to support where they might be coming from in their argument. I enjoyed the first of the books that I did read and have just never fit in the other two (even though I bought the books initially because Kate Beckinsale and her husband used a quote from the second book in their wedding ceremony. She said it was just incredibly and deeply romantic. I'll read it someday! lol)

But I completely agree that there are idiots out there that are going to find something to protest in anything. Crud.. most of the Disney cartoons have someone protesting something obscure (or absent) in the content. It's gone way too far.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I received the same email with the link to the article on the snopes website. Frankly, I'd never even heard of these books or the upcoming movie. This genre of books doesn't really interest me but emails of this kind always spark my curiosity so I did some reading up on them. The snopes article said that the author is indeed an atheist and supposedly told a reporter once that his books were about killing God. Whatever. So I asked a librarian friend about them. She hasn't read them but said that other librarians and the kids loved them. I'm a Christian but I can't see that these books of fantasy could be too offensive to my faith. If nothing else, you can use them as a great conversation starter with your kid ...or anyone for that matter.

FORT Fogey

There are some things about the campaign against this movie that I can appreciate, and some things that I think are just silly.

The whole conspiracy theory aspect of the e-mail campaign falls in the silly category. So we're supposed to believe that "Hollywood" (as if there is truly a group called Hollywood that gathers together in a secret chamber with candles lit that you can only enter if you know the secret handshake and password) has deviously planned on showing this movie - a watered down version of the book - in order to trick foolish parents into buying the books for their kids, so that the books can be snuck into American homes as some sort of Trojan Horse, to corrupt the minds of our young innocent children? GASP!!!!! I don't think so. I think that Hollywood has made this film for the exact same reason they make Harry Potter movies, the Chronicles of Narnia, Bridge to Terrebethia, and others. Because well-written fantasy books for children make good movies that make lots and lots of money for movie studios. They don't just make money through ticket sales and DVD sales, but also through toy and fast food marketing.

At the same time, I don't think its foolish for parents who are instilling religious beliefs in their children to think twice about taking their kids to see the movie. Will it have a drastic effect on the kids? Probably not. After all - I cherished every book in the Chronicles of Narnia series, and was fascinated by the movie version of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe that they showed when I was a kid. But I didn't realize until I was in my 20s that CS Lewis was a Christian writer, and it took me until I was in my 30s to finally put it together that the Narnia series was a religious allegory. So I think the atheist message that is in these books will fly over the heads of children. However, if these same parents took their children to see Narnia with hopes that they'd grasp a bit of the religious message, and those parents used the film to point out the connections, then it stands to reason that parents should apply the same thinking (in reverse) to this film.

I don't have a problem with the e-mail campaign, since it appears to have a basis in truth. I support arming parents with the information, and allowing them to make the choices. Now if Bill Donahue and/or others start picketing theaters, and demeaning those who choose to go see it, or slandering those who made it -- that's a different ball game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast