+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The Golden Compass

MRD

Re: The Golden Compass

Interestingly enough, I just read the Rolling Stone review of this movie and it almost matched word for word my view on it after seeing it. It was not complimentary.
    I was just disappointed as I did want to see it. I'm going to read the books and see if I like them better. I usually do.

Seems like I've heard something about Stranger in a Strange Land being made into a movie a while ago. Great book by the way.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2743537;
    Interestingly enough, I just read the Rolling Stone review of this movie and it almost matched word for word my view on it after seeing it. It was not complimentary.
    I was just disappointed as I did want to see it. I'm going to read the books and see if I like them better. I usually do.

Seems like I've heard something about Stranger in a Strange Land being made into a movie a while ago. Great book by the way.
    Try the audio books, I got them from the library and it was great because the narrator or reader pronouces the names correctly and I never do when I read a book.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I have some misgivings about what they may have done to "The Golden Compass," but I loved the books so much, I will definitely see it, and if it's any good at all, probably buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2743537;

I think there was some talk several years back with Tom Hanks as Val and Sean Connery as Jubal, but I don't think it got past the talking stage.

And, if "The Golden Compass" has the would-be censors/bookburners up in arms, Heinlein's views would probably give them apoplexy.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2743820;
    Try the audio books, I got them from the library and it was great because the narrator or reader pronouces the names correctly and I never do when I read a book.
    I have never been able to do audio books. My mind wanders no matter how good the book is.

My daughter got all 3 books of this series for Christmas, so I will more than likely read them.

Florimel, that's what I had heard too, but it was ages ago. I guess they did not make it.
    Well there are TONS of movies made that the "moral compass" people don't even notice, so I'm sure that maybe Stranger could sneak past. I honestly believe now that the "moral compass" people were tipped off about Golden Compass to get a buzz going about a boycott so the movie would attract more people to the theaters (like me. ). Because honestly, after seeing the movie, I don't know what the big deal was all about and the 11 year old that went with me to see it had NO clue it was about "atheism". She enjoyed it for the story and special effects and talking bears.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have watched it.That's very great.
    The ice bear looks really cute.=]
    Nicole Kidman acts very well.But is she really Lyra's mother??
    It seems that she is not so good and she is lying to Lyra.
    So I am not sure about that.

Is the book of the film good?
    If yes , I would like to read it although I always read english books at a very slow speed. That's because I am not really good at English.-V-"

I want to see this movie, but Sweeney Todd is the next movie I am going to go see... eventually.

Of course, being an animation student, I get distracted by 3-d special effects now lol. So i'd be something like, "dude... look at that texture on the ferret!"
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Well, I took the daemon test. Mine was Nithreus, a wildcat daemon. Pretty cute actually! I have read the books but I'm not sure if I will see the movie or not. Probably when it leaves the theaters. I did read the books and the first one was definitely my favorite. I could care less about controversies...I'm more worried the the movie won't live up to the book and I'll just be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2744623;
    I have never been able to do audio books. My mind wanders no matter how good the book is.

My daughter got all 3 books of this series for Christmas, so I will more than likely read them.

Florimel, that's what I had heard too, but it was ages ago. I guess they did not make it.
    Well there are TONS of movies made that the "moral compass" people don't even notice, so I'm sure that maybe Stranger could sneak past. I honestly believe now that the "moral compass" people were tipped off about Golden Compass to get a buzz going about a boycott so the movie would attract more people to the theaters (like me. ). Because honestly, after seeing the movie, I don't know what the big deal was all about and the 11 year old that went with me to see it had NO clue it was about "atheism". She enjoyed it for the story and special effects and talking bears.

I was channel surfing yesterday and caught the last 5 minutes of Charlie Rose interviewing Phillip Pullman the author of the Golden Compass. Charlie did ask about how Pullman felt about religion. Pullman replied that he had nothing against religion. He did have a problem with religions that gained political power and used that power to make people think a certain way, behave a certain way, dress a certain way etc... and that was a big theme in the Golden Compass books.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567