+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Compass

MRD

Re: The Golden Compass

I want to be a snow leopard instead of a raccoon. But the things it said about the raccoon did pretty well match with me, but still. The raccoon isn't as sexy as the Snow Leopard.

(besides my experience with raccoons is them mostly getting in my garbage cans, so that has be bothered a bit. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I'll need to wait for the DVD, but I've enjoyed reading your reviews, etc. I took the daemon quiz and mine is a crow. Ouch. Although I like his name - Andreus - in fantasy a crow or raven is usually a manifestation or harbinger of evil in some form; either as a host to spy on the hero or a flock which settles in just before a disaster of huge magnitude occurs. However, it is a bird ( and I've been called a Lyra bird before) and it does fly (and I would like to be free enough in my imagination to fly) so maybe I can adjust to this image as the characteristics were correct for me.

The problem is...now I can't get the that EA Poe line out of my head..."quothe the raven, nevermore!"
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;2718463;
    I'll need to wait for the DVD, but I've enjoyed reading your reviews, etc. I took the daemon quiz and mine is a crow. Ouch. Although I like his name - Andreus - in fantasy a crow or raven is usually a manifestation or harbinger of evil in some form; either as a host to spy on the hero or a flock which settles in just before a disaster of huge magnitude occurs. However, it is a bird ( and I've been called a Lyra bird before) and it does fly (and I would like to be free enough in my imagination to fly) so maybe I can adjust to this image as the characteristics were correct for me.

The problem is...now I can't get the that EA Poe line out of my head..."quothe the raven, nevermore!"
    More than likely, I'm going to wait for the DVD too. I really want to see it, but have other priorities at the moment. We just really do not go to a lot of movies at the theater anymore.

I did like my raccoons name, can't remember it now. But I kind of felt the same way. Raccoons eat garbage. Ewww!

Still it was fun to do the test.

If I had to pick an animal out of the blue, I would gave picked a bear for myself... but after taking the quiz I've been branded a "Themius, the Crow"

"Solitary, soft spoken, proud, assertive"

I'll take it!

*LOL* So I just took it again and changed a few answers that I was indecicive about last time..
    now I am "Nicoleus the Lion"
    Solitary soft spoken, models, shy and proud

Yup yup... and so different than my real name "Nicole"
    Last edited by ClosetNerd; 12-13-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2718470;
    More than likely, I'm going to wait for the DVD too. I really want to see it, but have other priorities at the moment. We just really do not go to a lot of movies at the theater anymore.
    myrosiedog, normally I wouldn't try to change anyone's opinion on whether to wait for the DVD, or see the movie, but my two cents (which is about what it's worth )....If you are interested in this movie, it's definately "big-screen worthy." The special effects are really very good, and it's visually...maybe not stunning, but darn close!....I just think this is one of those movies that wouldn't translate as well to a small screen, and would lose some of the magic.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2718774;
    myrosiedog, normally I wouldn't try to change anyone's opinion on whether to wait for the DVD, or see the movie, but my two cents (which is about what it's worth )....If you are interested in this movie, it's definately "big-screen worthy." The special effects are really very good, and it's visually...maybe not stunning, but darn close!....I just think this is one of those movies that wouldn't translate as well to a small screen, and would lose some of the magic.
    Oh, you don't know how MUCH I want to go see this movie. But some things have changed in our lives recently and I may have to wait to see it now.

If at all possible, I will try to see it in the theater.

Rosie, I hope everything is OK, and I know you'll enjoy it no matter how or when you get the chance
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

MRD

I finally saw this today. The 11 year old visiting us LOVED it. My daughter liked it. I was fidgeting after the first 45 min. and my daughter's bf was laughing under his breath at it.

I was actually disappointed and found it to be kind of boring and I was REALLY disappointed in Sam Elliot. His lines seemed forced and contrived.

Nicole Kidman did really well as did the girl that played Lyra. But I hope the books are better because I don't think I'll see the movie sequels.

I think the fantasy movie genre is getting out of hand. Half the trailers have been fantasy movies and it's getting old. I know they can't all be Harry Potter.

But the Golden Compass just seemed to take itself a lot too seriously and was kind of ridiculous at times. Not the story so much as just the movie itself.

I left wondering if those emails I've been getting to boycott it were contrived to get more publicity for a boring movie by spreading that kind of boycott rumor. It worked on me. I probably wouldn't have gone to see it if it wasn't for those emails.

And I know others of you loved it. But it just didn't click for me for some reason. Honestly, I think I'd have been happy seeing Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2737169;
    I finally saw this today. The 11 year old visiting us LOVED it. My daughter liked it. I was fidgeting after the first 45 min. and my daughter's bf was laughing under his breath at it.

I was actually disappointed and found it to be kind of boring and I was REALLY disappointed in Sam Elliot. His lines seemed forced and contrived.

Nicole Kidman did really well as did the girl that played Lyra. But I hope the books are better because I don't think I'll see the movie sequels.

I think the fantasy movie genre is getting out of hand. Half the trailers have been fantasy movies and it's getting old. I know they can't all be Harry Potter.

But the Golden Compass just seemed to take itself a lot too seriously and was kind of ridiculous at times. Not the story so much as just the movie itself.

I left wondering if those emails I've been getting to boycott it were contrived to get more publicity for a boring movie by spreading that kind of boycott rumor. It worked on me. I probably wouldn't have gone to see it if it wasn't for those emails.

And I know others of you loved it. But it just didn't click for me for some reason. Honestly, I think I'd have been happy seeing Alvin and the Chipmunks.

There are some very good series out there for young adults that would never have been made into movies except for Harry Potter. Harry Potter proved to the publishing world that children will read 400 or 700 page books, that they will read a seven book series. Because of the success of Harry Potter lots of books and series are being published that may not have had a chance; such as the Ranger Apprentice. The Spiderwick Chronicles have been around for a long time and getting a movie done is a great reward for loyal readers of the series. I also think that the interest in the Harry Potter books also created the paranormal trend we now see in adult publishing, especially romance books. I have never seen so many vampire books. I also believe that trend has bled into TV with series such as Moonlight, Blood Ties, JourneyMan and the Charlaine Harris; Sookie Stackhouse series to be done on HBO. I for one applaud the trend and just wished Tolkein had been more prolific writer as the last several Christmas's were a treat because you knew there was a Tolkein movie to go see.

The fantasy trend is also an opportunity for the film industry to explore new techniques in movie making and we end up with wonderful companies like Pixar that have given up some great stories.

I for one would really like to see a movie made from Robert Heilein's (sp?) The Red Planet or any of Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern books.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Bearcata, I'd also like to see a movie made of Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land." But, every time they have made a film of one of his books, they've butchered it just as they did with Asimov's "I, Robot."

I think the technology is now available to do Roger Zelaznys' Amber series. There's enough material there for several movies.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast