+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Compass

Re: Golden Compass: What would your "Daemon" be?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2715518;
    Yow, I would like to have a white tiger also but when I did the quiz over on the Golden Compass site I got a mouse.
    Hey, I got a mouse, too. Elleron. Hah.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Re: The Golden Compass

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2715546;
    Gak !! My apologies! No wonder everyone (including myself after re-rereading my post!!) was confused. I didn't mean the movie was condemning free thought, etc, I meant the Magisterium (and by extension, the "church") was condemning free thought. Oy vey!
    Yes, what mrd said... we have all been guilty of that. You had defended and described your thought so well that I assumed that that was what you were intending to write. I just didn't want a casual reader to misinterpret it and think that the critics were correct. You did good!

Quote Originally Posted by mrd
    I have to say that while I have explored at length, various thoughts on religion, science, etc., that I find myself guilty of almost the same thing as those that do it because that's how its always been done.

I attend a Presbyterian Church because that's the church I've always belonged too. I have attended other churches and while I don't agree with everything my church believes, I am the most comfortable there and they tend to allow me to believe what I want without judgement. I've been very lucky in that regard as to the various ministers I've had and the conversations we've had on the subjects. So I guess I'm Presbyterian because that's what I was brought up as and that's where I feel the most comfortable. However, I do feel that I do have a choice and I have chosen to combine a lot of different things into something I am comfortable believing and I am somewhere where I am comfortable attending and worshipping.
    Now see... I don't think the above example makes you guilty of the same thing at all. You may go to a Presbyterian church building because you have always gone to a Presbyterian church.... but you don't accept their doctrine without question. You pick and choose which parts of their doctrine fit your life and beliefs and you leave the others on the pew.

You haven't sacrificed your free will by choosing to walk into a certain type of building based upon history and experience. I'm willing to bet if the current Pastor didn't meet your needs you'd be walking right out the door. You've chosen to stay.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2715952;
    Yes, what mrd said... we have all been guilty of that. You had defended and described your thought so well that I assumed that that was what you were intending to write. I just didn't want a casual reader to misinterpret it and think that the critics were correct. You did good!

Now see... I don't think the above example makes you guilty of the same thing at all. You may go to a Presbyterian church building because you have always gone to a Presbyterian church.... but you don't accept their doctrine without question. You pick and choose which parts of their doctrine fit your life and beliefs and you leave the others on the pew.

You haven't sacrificed your free will by choosing to walk into a certain type of building based upon history and experience. I'm willing to bet if the current Pastor didn't meet your needs you'd be walking right out the door. You've chosen to stay.

Thank you, you put things so much more eloquently than I can. I just had this discussion with my husband and he said the same thing. We've been fortunate to have ministers that were very open minded and didn't judge. My husband has WAY more problems with religion than I do and yet it didn't faze our minister one bit which made my husband WAY more receptive to the idea of going to church. (one smart minister if you ask me). But yes, you are right, I would find someplace more accommadating if that church did not meet my needs. And I don't automatically believe everything either. One of the problems my parents always had with me was that I questioned EVERYTHING. And that is my husband's philosophy: Question EVERYTHING, take NOTHING at face value. I should get him a t-shirt. (although I have seen the ones that say Question Authority and I like those too)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The "jesus freaks" around here were trying to get people to boycott the move too. That made me want to see it even more. I saw it this past weekend and other than the "daemon's", I didn't see anything that would cause people to think it was about atheism. And by the way, I am an atheist.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife;2716196;
    The "jesus freaks" around here were trying to get people to boycott the move too. That made me want to see it even more. I saw it this past weekend and other than the "daemon's", I didn't see anything that would cause people to think it was about atheism. And by the way, I am an atheist.
    We live about 3 miles from Bob Jones University. If you've never heard of it, google it-this school is probably one of the most fundamental of fundamentalist religious schools. Female students cannot wear pants or makeup. They have been handing out leaflets about the movie downtown besides their normal street corner preaching. I didn't get one, but my neighbor did and she asked me about the movie. I told her I was going to see it and it didn't matter who handed out what or emailed me what, that I had my own mind and could make my own decisions about it.

You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

MRD

I'm a raccoon daemon.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife;2716196;
    The thing is that the "daemons" are supposed to be a person's physical manifestation of their soul. After that explanation you just know the author called them "daemons" just to cause confusion.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just took the quiz again and I am a snow leopard. yeah!!!!
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Thanks for posting the link Hepcat! But darn my computer at work...I can't install Flash here, so I guss I'll have to wait to get home to find out what kind of daemon I am

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast