+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Compass

Golden Compass: What would your "Daemon" be?

If you could have any animal as your "Daemon", what animal would it be? I think mine would probably be a white tiger.
    To moderators: If you want to put this as a subthread in the Golden Compass Thread, feel free. I just didn't know how to do that.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Re: Golden Compass: What would your "Daemon" be?

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;2715472;
    If you could have any animal as your "Daemon", what animal would it be? I think mine would probably be a white tiger.
    To moderators: If you want to put this as a subthread in the Golden Compass Thread, feel free. I just didn't know how to do that.
    Yow, I would like to have a white tiger also but when I did the quiz over on the Golden Compass site I got a mouse.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

MRD

Re: The Golden Compass

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2715023;
    katydyd... you appear to contradict what you said in your earlier post. I agree with you that but that doesn't match up with your second statement that I have only read the book at this point and it certainly did the former by showing the (near) absence of the latter. It was pretty much to a T what mrd described.

eta: I do like how you've analyzed it in your last post. We've had that discussion with some of my older friends while sitting up late at a stitching retreat. In our large group we have one friend in her 50s that is Jewish and another in her 50s that is Catholic. We'd have some very interesting discussions about their traditions and religious beliefs and both of them, at points, were speechless when asked why they believe what they do. They just did. Complete indoctrination without thought. But it was a pretty powerful experience as it made us all sit and think about why we believed as we did and whether we truly agreed.
    THanks for helping clear this up. While I know what pre-destination is, I apparantly cannot spell it.

I too have had similar conversations with others of different faiths and they too cannot expalin why they believe what they do. I am Presbyterian, was sent to Catholic school and have studied World religions, so my views are a hodge podge of things I happen to like and I've discarded those things I happen not to like. So I guess I pretty much believe in the church of Myrosiedog, even though we attend a Presbyterian Church. I have questioned our church doctrine over the years so I think I can say I've made my own informed choice and while my church believes in Pre-destination, I believe in free will with a sidebar that says that sometimes I think things happen for a reason. I didn't say what I believe makes sense to anyone but me, but its my free thought and free will that have brought me to the point where I am now in terms of faith and belief.

I think I might go see this this week. I'm very anxious to see this movie. And I LOVE Sam Elliot.

But it sounds like a thought provoking movie and besides, since I've been told by at least 10 emails now NOT to see it, I do HAVE to go see it now. (the surest way to get me to do something is to tell me not too. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2713442;
    I saw the movie this weekend with my 14 year old, and we both really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done, the special effects were very good, Nicole Kidman was nicely creepy and the little girl who played Lyra was charming. I will say it helps if you know the basic premise of the movie to start, because I can see how it might be somewhat confusing otherwise. And you have to be prepared to realize this is definately part one of a three part trilogy. However that said, the major story in part one did wrap up, and you were just left realizing there was much more to come. I thought it was a good fantasy/adventure story on its own, and if you want to dig a little deeper, you can certainly do that too. And Bearcata I agree, to me, this seemed much more a condemnation of the abuse of power of the church, and "blind faith", than about God and spirituality. I may be in the minority, but I've never understood why science and religion have to be two separate entities, why is it that God can't have had a hand in science? This movie seemed to condemn free will, free thought, and the search for knowledge. As a former catholic school girl and current church goer, I agree there are many things that have happened in the name of religion that are heinous. But that is a condemnation of man and what he has chosen to do in the name of God, not a condemnation of God.
    Katydyd, that was a beautifully written post.

As far a merging scientific thought and faith in God, I do believe that in Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, the physicist priest who is murdered in the the beginning of the book did a beautiful job of merging his science and his faith and it really spoke to me. I do believe as that priest did that it is possible to have faith and also be a scientist. Science and faith do not have to be polar opposites.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2714464;
    I'm confused, if the author of the books was against organized religion, then why condemn free will and free thought? I would have thought it to be otherwise to promote people to have free thought and free will to decide for themselves whether religion, organized or not is the path they wish to follow.
    The church I was raised in and still belong too beleives in Pre-distination. Something I've had a hard time with since I was old enough to know what pre-distination was.
    So I would think that Free will/free thought vs. Pre-distination would be what was shown in the movie.
    The author is against organized religion. In the world of the book, the Magisterum or Authority has a lot of power much based on their worldview. The studies of the scholars or free thinkers shows that truth and the Magisterium's worldview are not necessarily the same and the Magisterium feels threaten by these new ideas, that may threaten its power base so they are doing evil things to protect their power base. The author is not by any means condemning free thoughts he is just pointing out that he feels an organized religious bureaucracy can and does stiffen thinking outside of what the "church" considers proper/correct and therefore is heresy and needs to be stamped out.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2715524;
    Katydyd, that was a beautifully written post.

As far a merging scientific thought and faith in God, I do believe that in Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, the physicist priest who is murdered in the the beginning of the book did a beautiful job of merging his science and his faith and it really spoke to me. I do believe as that priest did that it is possible to have faith and also be a scientist. Science and faith do not have to be polar opposites.
    That was a SENSATIONAL book and I totally agree Bearcata. In my hodge podge of beliefs, I do belive that science and religion can co-exist.
    Thank you for pointing that out as I had forgotten about that book. Just recently rewatched the DaVinci Code and it sparked another great discussion about divinity in this house. All 3 of us have totally different, but similar beliefs and most of those do merge both science and religion.

As for Broadways statement of why people believe and then not know why they believe it. I have to say that while I have explored at length, various thoughts on religion, science, etc., that I find myself guilty of almost the same thing as those that do it because that's how its always been done.

I attend a Presbyterian Church because that's the church I've always belonged too. I have attended other churches and while I don't agree with everything my church believes, I am the most comfortable there and they tend to allow me to believe what I want without judgement. I've been very lucky in that regard as to the various ministers I've had and the conversations we've had on the subjects. So I guess I'm Presbyterian because that's what I was brought up as and that's where I feel the most comfortable. However, I do feel that I do have a choice and I have chosen to combine a lot of different things into something I am comfortable believing and I am somewhere where I am comfortable attending and worshipping.

OK, must convince the family that tonight is movie night. Going to go see the Golden Compass today if I have to roll pennies for tickets. (just kidding)

I am extremely intrigued now. And I think I'll ask my daughter to get the books with her discount where she works.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2715537;
    The author is against organized religion. In the world of the book, the Magisterum or Authority has a lot of power much based on their worldview. The studies of the scholars or free thinkers shows that truth and the Magisterium's worldview are not necessarily the same and the Magisterium feels threaten by these new ideas, that may threaten its power base so they are doing evil things to protect their power base. The author is not by any means condemning free thoughts he is just pointing out that he feels an organized religious bureaucracy can and does stiffen thinking outside of what the "church" considers proper/correct and therefore is heresy and needs to be stamped out.
    Very interesting. The early Catholic Church operated on similar principles.
    Issac Newton and Galileo were at odds with their discoveries and the Catholic Church. The early Church tended to stamp out anything that did not coincide with their beliefs and docterine. Inquisition anyone?
    So it seems to me that this movie (although I have not seen it), parallels the early Catholic Church doctrine of "our way is the only way and anyone that believes otherwise is a heretic".
    Hmmm, this would actually make a really good and interesting class I think.
    The Golden Compass and the comparisons and contrasts of the Early Catholic Church.
    I'd take that class.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2715409;
    Would it be better to read the book first, before one sees the movie?
    Personally, I perfer to see the movie first and then read the book, else I spend the entire movie comparing the movie to the book and seeing what they cut out.

They did do a plot twist at the end and a character that was killed survived. Now I do wonder if there is a sequel how they will justify that as it may cause major rewriting of part 2.

The interesting thing about this trilogy is in part 2 the author starts the story in another world and it takes a good half or more of the second book before you see how the characters from part 1 and part 2 will meet and react. You really need to read the entire trilogy I think to make sense of it all. The thing is that millions of kids have read the story and just enjoy it as a story instead of the religious debate it is becoming.

Sidebar: I went to diner with a friend of mine who is very devote Southern Baptist who was told by another friend not to go see the movie. I told her to go and take the grandkids as it is fun for them and not Anti Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2713442;
    This movie seemed to condemn free will, free thought, and the search for knowledge. As a former catholic school girl and current church goer, I agree there are many things that have happened in the name of religion that are heinous. But that is a condemnation of man and what he has chosen to do in the name of God, not a condemnation of God.
    Gak !! My apologies! No wonder everyone (including myself after re-rereading my post!!) was confused. I didn't mean the movie was condemning free thought, etc, I meant the Magisterium (and by extension, the "church") was condemning free thought. Oy vey!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2715546;
    Gak !! My apologies! No wonder everyone (including myself after re-rereading my post!!) was confused. I didn't mean the movie was condemning free thought, etc, I meant the Magisterium (and by extension, the "church") was condemning free thought. Oy vey!
    That's ok. I tend to type without my glasses and going back and re-reading my posts, I think everyone must think I am an illiterate that cannot spell. Well I do have a problem with that, but its mostly that I type blind.

But hey, your posts did spark some discussion and I dearly LOVE discussions. So thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast