+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Compass

FORT Fanatic

Re: The Golden Compass

Actually Phillip Pullman did say his goal with the books was to "kill God" he has said he definately wanted to promote Atheism with the books in the same way that C.S. Lewis wanted to promote Christianity with his Narnia Series.
    We won't be seeing them.

I just saw this with my niece, brother and sis-in-law. It was fun, a nice fantasy about a Lyra a young girl that helps kidnapped children be returned to their families. Yes there is a darker plot underneath and a very good set up for a sequel. Now unless you have read the books, and have listened to the Catholic League tell you not to go you would never know that there was something "bad" in the movie. It was a regular fantasy world with the good guys fighting the bad guys. BTW by niece goes to a Catholic school and the kids and the parents were told to boycott this film and they are not supposed to talk about it in school. My niece is 9 yrs old and even she thought is was "dumb" to not see the film.

BTW I finally listened the to the audio books several yrs ago as I had always heard what a great series this was. I personally was not that impressed. I was pretty shocked about the way the church was represented either at the end of the 2nd novel or it may have been in the third. I thought I was pretty liberal but I admit I was shocked. Still I was an adult and got the underlying message. And yes it was a loud kick in the pants against organized religions brainwashing their followers into mindless zombies. I have also read that Pullman is not so much against religion as against the organized beauracracy that is behind it trying to control the way a person thinks.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Throwing in two cents. Or less, because I haven't seen the movie or read the books.

A movie reviewer said that the movie, regardless of the religeous controversy, was bad. Just badly done. It was a jumble of characters and special effects that did not tell a story well, was poorly edited, a major mess and was basically a waste of money.

Maybe not even good enough to be a rental. 1/5 I was surprised as I was expecting it would be the next good trilogy.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2713232;
    Throwing in two cents. Or less, because I haven't seen the movie or read the books.

A movie reviewer said that the movie, regardless of the religeous controversy, was bad. Just badly done. It was a jumble of characters and special effects that did not tell a story well, was poorly edited, a major mess and was basically a waste of money.

Maybe not even good enough to be a rental. 1/5 I was surprised as I was expecting it would be the next good trilogy.
    That reviewer was way too harsh. The reviews I have heard were the movie looked brillant, the effects wonderful but the movie lacked heart. I admit it is not a touchy feely movie. It does show that people can be brutal and unfeeling toward each other because their ambitions are more important then their own children. The underlying theme of free thinking vs controlling a persons thoughts is the dominant theme of the series and it is a dark and heavy theme. But again visually it is a beautifully done movie. There is a story, there is a plot. But it is a trilogy and the Golden Compass does suffer a bit because it is setting up what will happen in part 2 and 3.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I saw the movie this weekend with my 14 year old, and we both really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done, the special effects were very good, Nicole Kidman was nicely creepy and the little girl who played Lyra was charming. I will say it helps if you know the basic premise of the movie to start, because I can see how it might be somewhat confusing otherwise. And you have to be prepared to realize this is definately part one of a three part trilogy. However that said, the major story in part one did wrap up, and you were just left realizing there was much more to come. I thought it was a good fantasy/adventure story on its own, and if you want to dig a little deeper, you can certainly do that too. And Bearcata I agree, to me, this seemed much more a condemnation of the abuse of power of the church, and "blind faith", than about God and spirituality. I may be in the minority, but I've never understood why science and religion have to be two separate entities, why is it that God can't have had a hand in science? This movie seemed to condemn free will, free thought, and the search for knowledge. As a former catholic school girl and current church goer, I agree there are many things that have happened in the name of religion that are heinous. But that is a condemnation of man and what he has chosen to do in the name of God, not a condemnation of God.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2713442;
    I saw the movie this weekend with my 14 year old, and we both really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done, the special effects were very good, Nicole Kidman was nicely creepy and the little girl who played Lyra was charming. I will say it helps if you know the basic premise of the movie to start, because I can see how it might be somewhat confusing otherwise. And you have to be prepared to realize this is definately part one of a three part trilogy. However that said, the major story in part one did wrap up, and you were just left realizing there was much more to come. I thought it was a good fantasy/adventure story on its own, and if you want to dig a little deeper, you can certainly do that too. And Bearcata I agree, to me, this seemed much more a condemnation of the abuse of power of the church, and "blind faith", than about God and spirituality. I may be in the minority, but I've never understood why science and religion have to be two separate entities, why is it that God can't have had a hand in science? This movie seemed to condemn free will, free thought, and the search for knowledge. As a former catholic school girl and current church goer, I agree there are many things that have happened in the name of religion that are heinous. But that is a condemnation of man and what he has chosen to do in the name of God, not a condemnation of God.
    I'm confused, if the author of the books was against organized religion, then why condemn free will and free thought? I would have thought it to be otherwise to promote people to have free thought and free will to decide for themselves whether religion, organized or not is the path they wish to follow.
    The church I was raised in and still belong too beleives in Pre-distination. Something I've had a hard time with since I was old enough to know what pre-distination was.
    So I would think that Free will/free thought vs. Pre-distination would be what was shown in the movie.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2714464;
    I'm confused, if the author of the books was against organized religion, then why condemn free will and free thought? I would have thought it to be otherwise to promote people to have free thought and free will to decide for themselves whether religion, organized or not is the path they wish to follow.
    One with common sense would think that to be the case! But this author is I think trying to say that the magisterium ("the church") is against free will and free thought because they want everyone to believe as they do, follow blindly, obey the rules, and not think about why. Because if you think about it, there is , of course, the possibility that you will choose another path. I'm with you though, if you "believe" only because you are told to, and have not thought about why you believe, that's not true faith, that's just indoctrination.

katydyd... you appear to contradict what you said in your earlier post. I agree with you that
    this seemed much more a condemnation of the abuse of power of the church, and "blind faith", than about God and spirituality
    but that doesn't match up with your second statement that
    movie seemed to condemn free will, free thought, and the search for knowledge.
    I have only read the book at this point and it certainly did the former by showing the (near) absence of the latter. It was pretty much to a T what mrd described.

eta: I do like how you've analyzed it in your last post. We've had that discussion with some of my older friends while sitting up late at a stitching retreat. In our large group we have one friend in her 50s that is Jewish and another in her 50s that is Catholic. We'd have some very interesting discussions about their traditions and religious beliefs and both of them, at points, were speechless when asked why they believe what they do. They just did. Complete indoctrination without thought. But it was a pretty powerful experience as it made us all sit and think about why we believed as we did and whether we truly agreed.
    Last edited by Broadway; 12-11-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I just saw this with my husband and despite my reservations based on what I heard about the books, I LOVED IT! I'm not a huge fan of NK but she was brilliant in this. I love fantasy-style movies in general so this was a lot of fun for me. I suppose I should read the books in order to fully understand the story because I was a tad lost on some of the plot but all in all a very good story. I loved seeing Sam Elliot! I didn't know he was in this. Daniel Craig is a good actor anyway so I was pleased to see him. Iourik (or however they spelled it), the "ice bear" made me want one of my own. Hey, to any moderators, can I start a thread about "What would your "Daemon" be?"? Or should I just put it in here? Let me know.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Would it be better to read the book first, before one sees the movie?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast