+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Golden Compass

MRD

Re: The Golden Compass

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2639634;
    Just one small disclaimer... I didn't say that I actually agreed with the complaints because I don't. I'm just trying to support where they might be coming from in their argument. I enjoyed the first of the books that I did read and have just never fit in the other two (even though I bought the books initially because Kate Beckinsale and her husband used a quote from the second book in their wedding ceremony. She said it was just incredibly and deeply romantic. I'll read it someday! lol)

But I completely agree that there are idiots out there that are going to find something to protest in anything. Crud.. most of the Disney cartoons have someone protesting something obscure (or absent) in the content. It's gone way too far.
    What I said wasn't aimed at you. It was just a general complaint about the kind of people that read that crap into everything you know. Your post was actually very good and thought provoking. I didn't mean to come off as arguing against your point. Just a general arguing against the idiots that find fault with everything based on a lot of nonsense.
    So sorry, I didn't mean to offend.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ok. Here's the thing. His Dark Materials Trilogy=AWESOME!! It doesn't matter if the author is an atheist. I'm sure he's not promoting atheism. Its a story about Lyra making the world(s) okay again. She has to make a decision, like Eve did in the garden of eden, and it will determine the fate of the world(s). Now, to me, that sounds a lot like the story in the bible. Eve makes a decision, and we are forever able to chose between good or bad. Lyra is, what, 11,12,13 throughout the entire trilogy? She doesn't even know her part of this plan, of this decision she must make, until the last book. So, what? Is Philip Pullman promoting little kids to be evil? To be against 'God?' In the end of the third book, Lyra and Will release 'God.' He'd been captured by the evil angel and was in a cubical cage. Will cut through it, and released him. So, is the author now promoting freedom of religion? Take a stand on one thing, stick with it. Ask the author at hisdarkmatericals.com if you need to.
    Does it really matter what the book's deeper, so deep you cant see it, meaning is? Its a great story and I'd let a child of any age, as long as they could read, read it. Now, I dont mean 5, 6, 7 year olds. But, I know many kids at ages 10, 12, 13, 14 that Have read it, and they really want to see it. I lent my copy to a Christian friend. He wants to see the movie AND read the 2nd and 3rd books.
    Its just stupid people trying to be heard in an idiotic way thats protesting this movie. Why didn't they protest the books? Because they just thought of it one Sunday afternoon after watching a show where someone protested, and they wanted to do something, too. Consider your resources.
    I want to see this movie, and I love the His Dark Materials books. I wish he'd write more. Its all a matter of oppinion.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2640275;
    What I said wasn't aimed at you. It was just a general complaint about the kind of people that read that crap into everything you know. Your post was actually very good and thought provoking. I didn't mean to come off as arguing against your point. Just a general arguing against the idiots that find fault with everything based on a lot of nonsense.
    So sorry, I didn't mean to offend.
    Oh no, you didn't!! I just felt the need to add my own disclaimer for exactly the points that you had raised.

I agree with the points that Veruka and longbottomgirl raised... that any subversive message, both negative or positive, is going to go right over a child's head and they will enjoy the story.

longbottomgirl... I agree that the protestations are silly and frivolous and made by those that have made a PC game lately of protesting Disney movies and anything that they want to read into some obscure detail in order to make a scene. I believe that if this group hadn't been aware that Philip Pullman was an atheist it would have never occurred to them that the message being conveyed was atheistic in nature. I think they'd be very surprised to find that there are a great many private atheists out there writing books, movies, or producing other products in the marketplace.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2645495;
    Oh no, you didn't!! I just felt the need to add my own disclaimer for exactly the points that you had raised.

I agree with the points that Veruka and longbottomgirl raised... that any subversive message, both negative or positive, is going to go right over a child's head and they will enjoy the story.

longbottomgirl... I agree that the protestations are silly and frivolous and made by those that have made a PC game lately of protesting Disney movies and anything that they want to read into some obscure detail in order to make a scene. I believe that if this group hadn't been aware that Philip Pullman was an atheist it would have never occurred to them that the message being conveyed was atheistic in nature. I think they'd be very surprised to find that there are a great many private atheists out there writing books, movies, or producing other products in the marketplace.

Funny that you mention that. Years ago my mother worked for a newspaper printing plant. They also printed other material. Some of which was religious in nature. The man in charge of the other printing (the graphic printing I guess you call it, not the actuall newspaper printing) was an atheist, but yet, he printed a lot of religious material for various groups. Did his views affect his work: No, it was his job and he did it and the groups he did it for probably never knew what his opinion on the subject matter was he was working on. But I remember quite a few discussions about this around the dinner table at my house.

Look at all the controversy surrounding The Passion of the Christ and that WAS a religious movie. People are going to find hidden meaning and agendas everywhere. Some actually exist, some are just figments of an overactive imagination or the mindset of conspiracy theorists.

Personally, I read what I want and I watch what I want and I have my own beliefs and convictions and I usually don't let others (especially big groups) try to tell me what to believe, read, see, eat, etc. I have my own mind and my own free will and the ability to think for myself and that is exactly how I raised my child so I don't see a danger in letting her (if she were younger, the point is moot as she's almost 17) see this movie and discussing it with her afterwards.

I just read an article on this in EW that said that the religious right is up in arms about this movie, that I've never even heard of before. Hee! Now I'm definitely going to take my kid to see it. Perhaps twice, if it's any good, just to make a point.

If there can be movies out there which promote religion, then there should be plenty of room for movies that overtly, or not so overtly, promote atheism. I really hope they do boycott the movie. It'll make so much more money that way.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

MRD

I wanted to see it anyway as it looked interesting, but after hearing all the boycott crap, I am DEFINETLY going to go see it.

I don't understand why these people haven't learned by now that they generate much publicity for the movie instead of the other way around.

And for me, the sure fire way to get me to do anything is to tell me NOT to do it. My husband uses reverse psychology on me all the time now and I still fall for it.

The thing is, from what I've read about the movie (and I'll admit I've never read the books) it doesn't really come down on religion so much, as the organization of religion, the abuse of power of the "church", and the stifling of free thought. Frankly, how can you have true faith without question, without exposure to other thoughts, concepts, ideas? When you are exposed to differing views and choose to believe because of what you feel deep down, not because someone else has told you that is what you must believe, that is faith. The other thing that kills me about all the outcry, is several groups have stated the message is so subversive that many parents will not even realize what is really being said. Well if a parent doesn't get it, what makes anyone think a child will? I get so frustrated when people try to take all the magic out of a child's life. Yes, when I was a little girl I really really wanted magic ponies and was hoping I could find a fairy. I even wished at times I could be a fairy. Then I grew up. I don't want to be a fairy anymore (mostly ). I hardly think seeing a movie or reading a book is going to sprout a new generation of adult wizard wanna-be's or atheists. And you know, if that is what they choose after being armed with knowledge from all sides, then that's OK too.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2653719;
    The thing is, from what I've read about the movie (and I'll admit I've never read the books) it doesn't really come down on religion so much, as the organization of religion, the abuse of power of the "church", and the stifling of free thought. Frankly, how can you have true faith without question, without exposure to other thoughts, concepts, ideas? When you are exposed to differing views and choose to believe because of what you feel deep down, not because someone else has told you that is what you must believe, that is faith. The other thing that kills me about all the outcry, is several groups have stated the message is so subversive that many parents will not even realize what is really being said. Well if a parent doesn't get it, what makes anyone think a child will? I get so frustrated when people try to take all the magic out of a child's life. Yes, when I was a little girl I really really wanted magic ponies and was hoping I could find a fairy. I even wished at times I could be a fairy. Then I grew up. I don't want to be a fairy anymore (mostly ). I hardly think seeing a movie or reading a book is going to sprout a new generation of adult wizard wanna-be's or atheists. And you know, if that is what they choose after being armed with knowledge from all sides, then that's OK too.

I totally agree.

People go so overboard. There is a school in WV that is trying to censor Pat Conroy's books because they deal with alcoholism, dysfunction families, rape and suicide. Conroy stated these people are idiots that kids can read this stuff and worse in the daily newspaper.

Censorship is wrong on so many levels. I can see if you choose not to see this movie, but don't go emailing everyone in your address book about not seeing it either.

How is emailing your friends with concerns about a movie censorship? They still have the choice to see the movie.

I say if people want to boycott, let them. Plenty of movies, on both sides, get boycotted. It's free speech not censorship. If it makes more people see the movie than would have originally then so be it. Remember Showgirls? That is one movie that was picketed here big time and made major bank because of it.

I've read the books, too, and they are wonderful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast