+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Across the Universe

MRD

Across the Universe

We are so angry. Across the universe is NOT playing anywhere in the entire state. What is up with that??????
    They ran trailers for it all summer and now none of the theaters are carrying it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Re: Across the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2591120;
    We are so angry. Across the universe is NOT playing anywhere in the entire state. What is up with that??????
    They ran trailers for it all summer and now none of the theaters are carrying it.
    Its playing here in Northern Virginia.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

What on earth is this movie about? I've seen the previews and they make no sense to me.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2602334;
    Its playing here in Northern Virginia.
    Northern VA, is a world away from Conservative South Carolina
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It's rated 14A (adult) in Canada. I don't understand why it wouldn't be playing. It's not even restricted. I guess I'm going to have to go look it up. My 18 year old just called and said she and her boyfriend saw it and thought it was a good movie.

Coming from someone who was really really exited about seeing it: you are not missing much It was a terrible letdown
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2602600;
    What on earth is this movie about? I've seen the previews and they make no sense to me.

From the movie's site. Can't say it really makes a lot of sense to me either.
    At once gritty, whimsical and highly theatrical, Revolution Studios' Across the Universe is an original movie musical springing from the imagination of renowned director Julie Taymor (Frida, Titus, and the Broadway smash hit musical "The Lion King") and writers Dick Clement & Ian La Frenais (The Commitments).

A love story set against the backdrop of the 1960s amid the turbulent years of anti-war protest, mind exploration and rock 'n roll, the film moves from the dockyards of Liverpool to the creative psychedelia of Greenwich Village, from the riot-torn streets of Detroit to the killing fields of Vietnam. The star-crossed lovers, Jude (Jim Sturgess) and Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood), along with a small group of friends and musicians, are swept up into the emerging anti-war and counterculture movements, with "Dr. Robert" (Bono) and "Mr. Kite" (Eddie Izzard) as their guides. Tumultuous forces outside their control ultimately tear the young lovers apart, forcing Jude and Lucy against all odds to find their own way back to each other.

I'm going to see this tonight. I'll give you my review tomorrow.
    Count your blessings!

ClosetNerd - I am going to have to respectfully disagree... I thought it was AWESOME!!! Beatles songs make a musical out of a simple love story set in the 60s. Bono, Izzard, and Crocker are clever cameos, but not part of the storyline... which is misleading in the movie blurb above. What really struck me most was the way the songs were used and phrased to give them more/different meaning than you remember. The funeral scene touched me to the core. The Izzard number reminded me of the Oompa Loompa numbers in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... a little too silly and disconnected from the rest of the story, but if you're doing a show about the 60s you've got to get some psychedelic flavor in there somewhere. The choreographed numbers were just incredible. I hope you'll see it - I'm going to see it again tomorrow with my daughter.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2611823;
    ClosetNerd - I am going to have to respectfully disagree... What really struck me most was the way the songs were used and phrased to give them more/different meaning than you remember..
    See, that's why it bugged me. That, and I absolutely cannot stand Evan Rachel Wood. I am such a sucker for musicals!! I really thought I could set my dislike for her aside, but I couldn't Across the universe and Lucy I the sky with diamonds were not even used. Hey Jude was in the end credits.
    It could have been such a masterpiece, but I found it to be a little overindulgent and pretentious

I think I want to try to watch it again, when I am in a better frame of mind
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast