+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Across the Universe

MRD

Re: Across the Universe

This finally opened here and my daughter and I are going to see it this week. She will be glad Lucy in the sky with Diamonds isn't in it. She hates that song. Probably because I played it about 2 million times during her childhood as her name is Lucy.

She loves the Beatles and so do I. I hope its good. I have been wanting to see it since the trailer came out months ago.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;2612251;
    See, that's why it bugged me. That, and I absolutely cannot stand Evan Rachel Wood. I am such a sucker for musicals!! I really thought I could set my dislike for her aside, but I couldn't Across the universe and Lucy I the sky with diamonds were not even used. Hey Jude was in the end credits.
    It could have been such a masterpiece, but I found it to be a little overindulgent and pretentious
    Actually - Hey Jude was sung by Max to Jude when they were both in bars an ocean apart. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was the end credits. And Across the Universe was sung by Jude during the demonstration... I can't really say more without spoilers. I didn't know Evan Rachel Wood before this movie, but she has a sweet voice. I loved it even more the second time. My daughter liked it (but not as much as Hairspray) and my Thai exchange student LOVED it. I'm going to Walmart now to see if they have the soundtrack out.
    Count your blessings!

Ay yai yai! I am going to have to watch it again. This time will less alcohol, and less distractions!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Across the Universe is playing at the local theaters now!!!! I'm going to see it for the 3rd time tonight!!!!
    Count your blessings!

I didn't know Evan Rachel Wood before this movie, but she has a sweet voice.
    Her break out role was in 2003's "Thirteen", where she played... um... a somewhat troubled 13 year old girl who, um... pretty much acted like she was 18. Which was the whole point of the movie. She actually was nominated for the Best Actress Golden Globe for it that year, although she lost to Charlize Theron (actually she was likely to lose no matter what, since Cate Blanchett, Uma Thurman, Scarlett Johansson, and Nicole Kidman were the other nominees, per IMDB).

Actually, she was also apparently in 52 episodes of "Once and Again". A show I barely recall, but apparently it actually got three seasons.
    Last edited by Krom; 10-26-2007 at 03:03 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Well, I have to say that seeing it a third time was just as great as the first two times. Now that it's getting wider play, I hope to hear more comments here from people who have seen it.
    Count your blessings!

Nick and Joe buddy ThatAintLove's Avatar

My friend and I went and saw the movie the day after it came out. We were both siked about it and ended up loving it. We wanted to go back in and see it once more. In the theater we were in, only 8 other people were there so their were not any distractions and it completely brought a new experience. If we had went and it would have been packed, I doubt it would have been as magical.
    "Torture him and make him stay."

This is playing On Demand and I watched it tonight. Gutmutter, I totally agree with your synopsis. ClosetNerd, I feel ya on the alcohol part . I was thinking "what the heck kind of movie is this" but then I sobered up () and rewatched it from the beginning and loved every minute of it. I thought everyone who had a singing part had a great voice. I wasn't familiar with Evan Rachel Wood either. I never saw "Thirteen" or the tv series she was on. The actor playing Jude reminded me a lot of Ewan McGregor. This will be one to add to my collection although I'm sure my husband will never watch it. Musicals aren't his cup of tea. Unless maybe if it's a singing cowboy movie .
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 08-28-2008 at 12:33 AM.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I saw it by borrowing it from my library. It was pretty great. I was not sure I would be able to get into a movie that had Beatles songs that starred a bunch of kids who were not even alive when the songs came out. Another generation's interpretation is often just weird. But it was very beautiful and emotional.

I didn't like it at all.

I'm a huge fan of the Beatles, I'm a little too young to know them from the first time around but my parents played them incessantly while I was growing up and I know the songs out of context.
    I loved the loved story between Jude and Lucy but that was about it, the other extraneous stuff was a waste of time and I DESPISE the psychadelic sub-culture. I was disappointed that Lucy in the sky with diamonds was only played over the end credits. My favourite part of the movie was Jude singing Across the Universe.
    Seeing it once was enough for me, I won't be seeing it again.
    fyi I was completely sober and alone watching it on tv with no commericals.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast