+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I can't wait to get mine for Christmas and re-watch this movie! Def one of my faves this year!
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

I finally remembered one part that was excellent. I loved the part about Slughorn and the goldfish Lilly gave to him. In the movie Prof. Slughorn says that Lilly Evans gave him a goldfish that decended in the bowl and when it came back to the surface of the water, turned into a lilly. After Lord Voldemort killed her the fish disappeared. Slughorn said something to the effect that it "was such beautiful magic". Of course, this totally didn't happen in the book, but I thought 'JK Rowling absolutely could have written that'.

Amazon had it for a great pre-order price, so I already bought my copy! Of course, I'm going to have to summon up some willpower and wrap it up for the kids and wait for Christmas to watch it again!!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I got my DVD today, and IMMEDIATELY viewed the brief clip of the upcoming Deathly Hallows movie (release date: November, 2010). I can't wait.

And even better, there was an 11-minute preview of "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" which I will visit at Universal Orlando in September of 2010. What a day brightener.

Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;3764373;
    I got my DVD today, and IMMEDIATELY viewed the brief clip of the upcoming Deathly Hallows movie (release date: November, 2010). I can't wait.

And even better, there was an 11-minute preview of "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" which I will visit at Universal Orlando in September of 2010. What a day brightener.

I got mine yesterday and did the exact same thing-- The Deathly Hallows looks incredible, doesn't it!! I was afraid that we were going to have to wait a year between the 2 movies but that isn't the case--phew!! I didn't want to be 40 before the series was finally finished.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Weren't they talking about splitting Deathly Hallows into two movies - because of all the content? I hope it is just one movie and the DVD comes out next Christmas. I ordered mine from Amazon and took the super saver so it'll probably be a week before it arrives. Can't wait...but too cheap to spend the money. LOL
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3764401;
    Weren't they talking about splitting Deathly Hallows into two movies - because of all the content? I hope it is just one movie and the DVD comes out next Christmas. I ordered mine from Amazon and took the super saver so it'll probably be a week before it arrives. Can't wait...but too cheap to spend the money. LOL
    Yes, Deathly Hallows is going to be 2 movies-- the first is coming out November 2010 and the second part will be July 2011. [They've got the dates at the end of the preview that just came out with the new DVD.]
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;3764387;
    I got mine yesterday and did the exact same thing-- The Deathly Hallows looks incredible, doesn't it!! I was afraid that we were going to have to wait a year between the 2 movies but that isn't the case--phew!! I didn't want to be 40 before the series was finally finished.
    I wouldn't mind being 40 before the series is finished . . . 'cause I'm gonna be 64 by then!

And I'm so glad they're making 2 movies out of the book. There's SO much that happens in Deathly Hallows. Have any opinion as to where they'll make the break between 1 and 2?
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3764401;
    ... I ordered mine from Amazon and took the super saver so it'll probably be a week before it arrives. Can't wait...but too cheap to spend the money. LOL
    I order mine from Amazon also because I just wouldn't have been able to get a better price. Even when I get my copy I have to wrap it up as a family Christmas present, so I don't get to watch for a couple more weeks!!!

Because ClosetWatcher has not yet seen the movie, I'll place my review in spoilers.

Click to see Spoiler:
    The essence of the book is there, but my two favorite scenes in the whole series aren't. There is no Other Minister and there is no funeral. Most of the dialogue is also new as they had to weave the story in a different way than the book did. I really liked how they developed the sub plot of the teenagers coming to life - first with Harry in the tube diner, then Dumbledore asking him about Hermoine and the possibility there. But, I wonder if they spent too much movie time on that story line and not enough on the main plot. There was no fight against the death eaters inside the castle, and Harry wasn't frozen to inaction other than with his promise to Dumbledore in the observatory. I was surprised that he allowed Snape to motion him to silence before Snape joined the Death Eaters in the tower. Also, Bellatrix's destruction of the dining hall without challenge bothered me....I know they need to show the evil side, but the evil was "felt" more in the book.

I really disliked the lack of the happy moments at Christmas - that fire never happened. How are they going to hold the wedding that happens there and is near the beginning of the next book...and since Fleur didn't make an appearance, it will be interesting writing to see if they have the wedding...another favorite scene. Even with two films they will leave out so much as they have with all the films.

I also found it interesting that after playing up the Aurors in the last film, they had Luna discover and recover an invisible Harry from the train. Another dislike is the changes they made to the costumes. The Quiditch outfits were futuristic and bizarre, and what happened to Professor MacGonagall...they turned her beige...different hairstyle that made her look flat and I hate the winged look they gave to the shoulder pads on her cloak.

As I wrote, the ESSENCE is there, though it felt like an ending rather than a continuation with Harry and Hermoine looking out over the golden lake as the Phoenix flies away. I know evil is out there waiting, but the last scene was soft, with no menace.

Oh, and one more thing. They started this with the last film, but in the books, the only one who could fly without a broom was Voldemort. A big deal was made toward the end when Snape flew out a castle window to join Voldemort. Now, everyone can fly without brooms...Aurors and Death Eaters. Good for special effects but one more deviation that bothers a lover of the story.

For all my complaints, I did like this as a film all on its own.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread