+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Halloween 2007

Re: Halloween 2007

Quote Originally Posted by JR.;2538019;
    Sort of, I think. I heard him interviewed and he said it will deal a little more with his childhood.
    That's exactly what I thought JR. and I'm really glad to hear that! It's good to know that the new movie will try to explain the reason Michael Myers went nuts on Halloween. I've always wanted to know what triggered the murders, because that was never told in any of the other movies. Hopefully that mystery will finally be solved.

I'm a big, big fan of Rob Zombie - and Sheri Moon, for that matter - and I can't wait until this comes out. I'm positive he'll do a great job, even though a remake of a classic is pretty hard to pull off.

You can see a trailer on this website, if anyone's interested. If you've seen Zombie's House of a 1000 Corpses, you'll see his influence in the look of the "new" Michael Myers.

HalloweenMovies.com - The Official Website of Michael Myers
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2539844;
    I'm a big, big fan of Rob Zombie - and Sheri Moon, for that matter - and I can't wait until this comes out. I'm positive he'll do a great job, even though a remake of a classic is pretty hard to pull off.

You can see a trailer on this website, if anyone's interested. If you've seen Zombie's House of a 1000 Corpses, you'll see his influence in the look of the "new" Michael Myers.

HalloweenMovies.com - The Official Website of Michael Myers
    Thanks for the info AJane! I'm with ya on the "I Can't Wait!"
    The original Halloween was awesome and when I saw the budget on how (very little) it cost to make that movie, I was shocked!
    I'm expecting BIG things from the new version, especially after your post!
    We'll check it out & post our reviews!

Yeah from the commercials, this looks great, I really am looking forward to watching it.

Rob Zombie's 'Halloween': Reimagining Michael Myers - washingtonpost.com

Rob Zombie's 'Halloween': Reimagining Michael Myers

By Richard Harrington
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, August 31, 2007; Page WE27

The "Halloween" that came out almost 30 years ago may be one of the most influential horror films ever made, and it served up one of the most iconic slasher-movie characters of all time in Michael Myers, the mask-wearing, butcher-knife-wielding boogeyman who escapes Smith's Grove Sanitarium on All Hallow's Eve to return to Haddonfield, Ill., the scene of his horrendous family slaughter 15 years earlier. More trouble awaits.

John Carpenter's 1978 classic spawned numerous sequels and countless imitators (Michael's "blood bros " include Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, Leatherface and Pinhead), but there's hardly any graphic violence or gore in the entire thing. Today, the film would be rated PG-13 at worst.

"Probably," says musician-director Rob Zombie, whose reimagined "Halloween" opens Friday (see synopsis on Page 28) with an R rating that won't surprise anyone who has seen Zombie's "House of 1000 Corpses" or his surprisingly good "The Devil's Rejects." ("If you love that, you'll definitely love this," he says.) But don't expect an even bloodier "director's cut" -- maybe that should be "director's slash" -- when "Halloween" comes out on DVD.

"There will probably be a director's cut but not necessarily based upon violence," Zombie said recently. He says "Halloween" is "very violent, but it's a different type of violence. Things have gotten pretty extreme in movies, and this movie doesn't really play upon that. That's what I liked about the story of Michael Myers -- he's not a situation, he's a character, an iconic movie monster, and that's what's scary about it.

According to Zombie, his take is "not overly gory, not overly exploitive -- it's not a big special-effects movie; I never wanted it to be. The effects in this movie are simple and basic. I wanted it to be real. There's no extreme stuff."

We'll see.

Written, co-produced and directed by Zombie, this "Halloween" is not a straight remake but a mix of never-told origin story and familiar denouement in which the tremendously troubled 10-year-old Michael (Daeg Faerch) grows up into big (literally, at 6 feet 10), bad Michael (former pro wrestler Tyler Mane, who played Sabretooth in "X-Men" and Ajax in "Troy"). There's a new sister Laurie (Scout Taylor-Compton in the role that made Jamie Lee Curtis a star) and a new doom-spouting psychiatrist Dr. Loomis (Malcolm McDowell in the role Donald Pleasence essayed in five of the eight previous Halloween films).

When Zombie, out of respect, informed Carpenter of plans to remake "Halloween," Carpenter's blessing came as an encouragement to Zombie to "make it his own," and that's what he has done.

"I always envisioned the film in three acts," Zombie explains, with "Act 1 being young Michael, Act 2 being Smith's Grove Sanitarium and Act 3 being Haddonfield, and only Act 3 would have elements of the original film."

Trying to deal with fan expectations, Zombie says, is "impossible, but I myself, being a fan of the movie and a fan of horror movies, came to deal with my own expectations. Of course Acts 1 and 2 are easier because you have a blank slate so anything goes." The origin story, he admits, "was the funnest part for me. I ran wild on the whole movie, but with the other parts I wanted to keep some established bits, like the way adult Michael Myers looks and [certain] iconic moments, but his young years were totally up for grabs, so that was great.

"Act 3 was picking and choosing which elements I'd retain and how I'd change them some. I never wanted anyone to feel 'I know where this is going.' I wanted it to be a different twist or turn, where you'd see familiar things but it was always different. The whole movie ends with twists and turns totally different from the original."

Zombie was interested in deepening Michael Myers's character, historically as shallow as a grave, demystified by time. "When a villain or a scary character becomes so familiar, so popular, he loses the mystery, so how's he going to be scary?" Zombie asks.

"I always felt Michael Myers was a great character that had lost his impact. But once a great character, always a great character. Like Frankenstein, who couldn't have been parodied to death more once you're watching the Munsters! But a great character is a great character and can always be made scary again."

Still, given the excesses of recent years, Zombie doesn't think his "Halloween" is "particularly gory, not for people that like gory movies. I think it's pretty tasteful. It was more about the characters and the situation, and that's what would make it scary, rather than just blood and guts. For a movie like this, that's not what's going to sell it. I mean, it's very violent and there's a lot of stuff going on, but it's always character-driven first."

Among the twists and familiar turns: For the first time, the boogeyman speaks ("young Michael Myers," Zombie notes) and Carpenter's simple but inescapable musical theme appears in a contemporary makeover, courtesy of Tyler Bates ("300").

None of the 1978 cast members makes a cameo, and the lead roles are (McDowell excepted) played by newcomers. The supporting roles are heavily populated by genre actors. Some will be familiar from Zombie's previous films, including the ubiquitous William Forsythe, Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, Leslie Easterbrook, Danny Trejo and Sheri Moon Zombie (Baby Firefly in Zombie's films, Zombie's wife plays Michael Myers's mother). "The Devil's Rejects" collaborators include Bates, director of photography Phil Parmet, production designer Anthony Tremblay, special-effects makeup artist Wayne Toth and editor Glenn Garland.

But there are also such horror vets as actors Udo Kier, Dee Wallace Stone, Clint Howard, Adrienne Barbeau and Brad Dourif, the voice of killer doll "Chucky" and the Gemini Killer in "Exorcist III." Zombie has been a fan since Dourif earned an Oscar nomination as the tragically confused Billy Bibbit in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Replacing Pleasence (who died in 1995) with McDowell may have been a no-brainer for someone who has often cited Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" as his favorite film.

"The biggest wild card for a director is the actors," Zombie says. "Sometime you get on set and they deliver a thousand times more than you ever expected, and sometimes they don't. My first two films were interconnected, so obviously I used a lot of the same people. But this one, all the leads are different people I've never worked with, and the people I've worked with before play secondary characters. They come in, have basically one scene, but they take the one scene and really run with it."

The same may be said of Zombie, who previously turned down offers of other horror classic remakes and says he is one-and-done.

"With 'Halloween,' some [actors] have said they'd come back for sequels, but I made it pretty clear from the get-go I never signed on for anything more and that I have no intention of doing any more. My first two films were connected, but it's different when it's your own characters that you created. But you're not going to turn down a movie if you want to make movies, and I tried to make 'Halloween' as different as possible in look, feel, style."

Next for Zombie: a live album in October, a tour from October through Christmas, "and after that I'll start figuring out what the next movie is."

I'll wait for the DVD.

Wow, this sounds almost too good to be true! Rob Zombie AND a new Halloween movie? I recently saw The Devil's Rejects and savoured every gory second of it. The soundtrack was amazing, too. I'm positive that Rob Zombie will do a great job.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

When someone in here sees this, will you pm me and tell me if they go into detail about what made young Michael Meyers suddenly snap and kill in the beginning? They didn't explain that in the original and I always thought that something had to have happened to make him that demented. You don't just wake up one morning when you're 8 years old and say "Hmmm....it's a nice day. I'll play this afternoon and then I'll kill tonight." Don't know if there's a book so obviously, I don't know if there would've been more explanation in there.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I really want to see this, I bet it's going to be really scary.

I just got back from seeing Halloween & I absolutely loved it!! Any fan of the original will will not be disappointed in this version. I went alone & that was a hoot! I was all scrunched up in the seat in a little ball.
    The new version really takes the time to go back & explain in great detail as to why Michael went crazy that night. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I love scary movies & this one gets a BIG from me!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast