+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: He Said What? Memorable Quotes From the 2003 Academy Awards

What I don't understand is who exactly Moore thinks he's influencing by delivering his message this way?? I agree with some of what he had to say, but by delivering it in such an abrasive and inappropriate way he just hurts the cause.

I think the people who gave brief, more dignified "messages" had much more effect - Susan Sarandon's peace sign, Nicole Kidman's remarks about art being important in times of strife, and Adrien Brody's beautiful remarks were much more meaningful to me.

Regardless of their views, I don't think they should have used the awards show as a forum for controversy (even though I acknowledge that it's their right to do so).

Moore's style has always been that "bull in a china shop" approach. It works for some people, I guess.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Steve Martin was great last time after Bjork sang wearing that swan.

He does that, says something funny after something really bizzare happens.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more than five people booed that guy.

No kidding.

FORT Fogey

Moore is Less

What I don't understand is who exactly Moore thinks he's influencing by delivering his message this way?? I agree with some of what he had to say, but by delivering it in such an abrasive and inappropriate way he just hurts the cause.
    The 'in your face' style of Michael Moore is so obnoxious. I don't even think his goal is to win people over to his viewpoint, he just wants to bludgeon them with his opinion.

First of all, the election is long since over, and even though I didn't vote for Bush or Gore, I accept that Geo. W. Bush is President of the United States. So Moore's lame beginning was like beating a dead horse. It only served to further dissipate his views. He wasn't just Anti-War he was on a personal vendetta.

There was a lot of booing going on, and Moore's diatribe served to turn liberal Hollywood into an incredulous bunch of people.

The man is like a bull in a china shop.

FORT Fogey
    Michael Moore is a selfish idiot. Not only did he make a bigger ass out of himself than usual, but he ruined everyone else's message.

The personal story of Adrien Brody (Rudolph Valentino), the understated plea by Gael Garcia Bernal (that outrageously cute Mexican) and the melodic words of Pedro Almodovar --all eclipsed by that odious fauxdocumentarian.

And god, could you imagine how uncomfortable his fellow nominees were, up on stage, being spoken for and entrapped in Moore's fictional "solidarity?" PUH LEEZE.

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    I thought MM's speech was tastless.

I vividly remember Marlon Brando's 'political' way of accepting (or rather not accepting) an oscar, in 1972. That did not offend me at all, but MM did. I think it was with the brazen sense of self-righteousness that he threw into our faces whether we liked it or not. but I loved Steve Martins comeback too

I did a quick search and found this little blurb about these other outbursts..

Along with women’s rights in the Academy, other political issues have been subject to question. Even since the first Awards ceremony in 1929, celebrities have unofficially had the opportunity to use the night for whatever they may choose to make of it. Due to the program being aired live, many unexpected and unpredictable things have happened.
    In 1972 Marlin Brando did not even make it to the Awards ceremony and sent an Indian Princess to "accept" his Oscar for him. When the princess stepped onto the stage she would not accept the Oscar, however, and told the audience that Brando could not accept such a honorary award as long as filmmakers continued to treat Native Americans as they did.
    Then, in 1977 Vanessa Redgrave, an actress from England, made quite the uproar when, in her acceptance speech, she spoke out against Fascism and anti-Semitism ("Oscar's Greatest").
    In 1996 Jessie Jackson asked people to boycott the Academy Awards because there was a lack of minority nominations. That year, out of the 166 nominees, only one person was not Caucasian ("Jesse" 57).
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

I caught a bit of Moore's speech. How very blantant and obnoxious he is. It didn't bring his POV across. I thought it was hilarious how the music start coming up and drowning out his voice.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

I agree that Moore did a disservice to his fellow nominees as well as to those who oppose the war. He should've taken a more subtle approach to state his point.

Now Adrian Brody is a class act. He moved me with his heart-felt speech. Definitely the most memorable moment for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast