+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And The Winner Will Is!

And The Winner Will be!

thought this was a good article.

And the Winner Will Be...
    We predict the upcoming Oscars... and tell you who should really win

By Kim Morgan, MSN Entertainment

Whether truly great or just heavily hyped, this year's Oscar-nominated films are all movies that may actually endure the test of time (as opposed to, say, Shakespeare in Love). But even with the spate of terrific pictures and fine performances nominated, the Oscars will likely be about "that toddling' town" -- Chicago. Gobbling up the Golden Globes, the BAFTAs, the SAGS, Chicago is positively fat with gratuity. So unless some freak Chariots of Fire-like upset occurs, Chicago's train won't be derailed. Here's our list of Oscar predictions and Oscar wishes for the coveted Golden Boy come March 23.

Best Picture: Chicago, Gangs of New York, The Hours, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Pianist

What will win: Chicago
    The Hours? Too literary. The Lord of the Ring: The Two Towers? Too much fantasy. Gangs? Too messy. The Pianist? Too contentious. No, it is all about Chicago, baby. To quote Fred Durst, everyone is in "agreeance" (it's a word, folks) that Chicago is something special. Compared to other classic musicals, it doesn't deserve its exorbitant praise, but Chicago has re-opened a latent, entertaining genre. A win means more musicals and more actors pleading to sing and dance (OK, maybe that's not such a good thing). It's not the best film, but hey, if it gets more women in garters and fishnets, we're all for it.

What should win: The Pianist
    Roman Polanski, unlike many of his peers of the '60s and '70s, is still working at the top of his game, and The Pianist is not only an epic historical piece but also a subtle and personal work of art. In contrast to other pictures of this ilk, Polanski created an intellectually demanding, unsentimental portrait full of silence and, importantly, music. And Adrien Brody is spectacular. However, Polanski's own skeletons are not hidden in a closet; he can't enter the United States and well, the Academy doesn't like a no-show. Brilliant, but too controversial.

Best Actor: Adrien Brody, The Pianist; Nicolas Cage, Adaptation; Michael Caine, The Quiet American; Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York; Jack Nicholson, About Schmidt

Who should win: Nicolas Cage
    Brody who lived, breathed and starved as the protagonist in The Pianist is a close tie with Cage, but dammit, Cage played two characters. And he was funny. Without a change in appearance, he adeptly swung from the obnoxiously confident to the insecurely cerebral as twin brothers and managed to be both ridiculous and touching. He had to play against himself, without himself who was not himself so ... you know that's even more difficult than it reads and much harder than it looks.

Who will win: Daniel Day-Lewis
    Nicholson is a favorite, but he's won enough times. Day-Lewis' scene-stealing performance as Bill the Butcher in Gangs is remarkable and every actor in Hollywood respects the hell out of him. He's also got real, practiced integrity, taking years off from acting to ... make shoes (the extent of his cobbling, we're not certain). Here, he's nearly a, um, shoo-in for his second Oscar.

Best Actress: Salma Hayek, Frida; Nicole Kidman, The Hours; Diane Lane, Unfaithful; Julianne Moore, Far from Heaven; Renee Zellweger, Chicago

Who should win: Julianne Moore
    In playing the Douglas Sirk-ian, troubled '50s housewife in Todd Haynes' masterful Far From Heaven, Moore took a potentially mannered, campy performance and imbued it with delicate humanity and beautiful poignancy. It's often easy for actors to scream and yell in fits of a nervous breakdown (like, um, Salma Hayek in Frida), but Moore contained herself while ready to implode. That's both tough and impressive.

Who will win: Renee Zellweger
    This category has strong contenders. Diane Lane's second coming is getting so much buzz you'd think the actress just hobbled out of retirement like some creaky 80-year-old (she's pushing 40 which, in actress years, is about the same). And the very deserving Nicole Kidman went ugly, making many an academy member misty for their old noses. But Renee Zellweger is such the "It" girl that it's hard to imagine her not grabbing the Golden Boy. We're so used to her winning every award invented recently that it's pretty clear she's endeared herself to not only the Academy, but to all mankind. Is the Nobel next?

Best Supporting Actor: Chris Cooper, Adaptation; Ed Harris, The Hours; Paul Newman, Road to Perdition; John C. Reilly, Chicago; Christopher Walken, Catch Me If You Can

Who should win: Chris Cooper
    Watching Chris Cooper evolve from a white trash stereotype complete with missing teeth, a filthy van and an obsession with his mother to an eccentric, sympathetic, smart and yes, sexy man in Adaptation was absolute genius. Cooper, who's been a character-actor staple for years, was effortless -- the key to great acting. His was the finest performance this year and a popular choice, but ...

Who will win: Christopher Walken
    Reilly was terrific, but he was nominated for the wrong performance (the Academy obviously didn't see The Good Girl). Harris should have been nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross over 10 years ago but he didn't have AIDS in that movie (it helped Tom Hanks in Philadelphia). Caine and Newman have already won. Walken is our dark-horse prediction (he did win the SAG), and what a fun one! Walken was outstanding as Leonardo DiCaprio's father in Catch Me If You Can and his longstanding achievement as everyone's favorite whacked-out character actor places him in the this-guy-needs-some-recognition category (he gained more fans in the 20 years since he won his first Oscar in The Deer Hunter). If Cooper doesn't win, then Walken's an excellent replacement. And maybe he'll dance upon accepting his honor.

Best Supporting Actress: Kathy Bates, About Schmidt; Julianne Moore, The Hours; Queen Latifah, Chicago; Meryl Streep, Adaptation; Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chicago

Who should win: Meryl Streep
    Yes, Meryl Streep has been nominated so many times, it's almost sickening. Yes, she's often been highly overrated in her career. And yes, she might even win the thing. But this time, she deserves it. Streep relaxed and let herself go with a more naturalistic, funny (how often does she get to do that?) approach than usual for her. Understanding a character who can't find meaning unless through another person must have hit home.

Who will win: Catherine Zeta-Jones
    Streep, Bates and Moore are about equal, but Zeta-Jones is riding the waves of Chicago fever. Though the Academy just loves its Meryl, and who knows what other females think of Mrs. Michael Douglas, men (who do vote) can't get enough of Zeta-Jones in all her wonderfully old-school Hollywood glamour. And come on, she was the best thing about Chicago.

Best Director: Rob Marshall, Chicago; Martin Scorsese, Gangs of New York; Stephen Daldry, The Hours; Roman Polanski, The Pianist; Pedro Almodovar, Talk to Her

Who should win: Roman Polanski
    For all the reasons listed above, Polanski deserves this. He's a true auteur, understanding the vision of his craft from cinematography, editing, scripting and acting. Besides The Pianist, his masterpieces include Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown. Meanwhile, Chicago's Rob Marshall, though an apparently gifted stage director, made the TV movie Annie. It's time Polanski nabbed one of these things. Sadly, he's up against another un-Oscared genius, so...

Who will win: Martin Scorsese
    He never won for Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or Goodfellas, so, because of Academy guilt, Scorsese will finally receive his amount past due. Though the unstoppable Chicago might make Marshall a possible upset, it just seems everyone wants Scorsese to win, even if the convoluted Gangs is far from his best picture. It's a shame, however, that one of our finest living American filmmakers is getting something akin to break-up sex: "Here's your award, now don't say we never appreciated all you've done for us through the years!"
    So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Moved this because we're gonna keep the Oscar talk in Movies.

I did it again John. Sorry!! I'll try and pay more attention. I rush too much!!
    ~ Christina Aguilera

No problem. Sometimes a subject could go in multiple places, I just try to keep 'em where I think they'll get the most attention.

Here are my predictions:

Best Picture: Chicago
    My preference: Chicago

Best Actor: Jack Nicholson
    My preference: Nicholson, although I haven't seen The Pianist

Best Actress: Nicole Kidman
    My preference: Anyone but Rene Zelweger. I think Diane Lane actually deserves it the most for this performance, but they were all fabulous.

Best Supporting Actor: Chris Cooper
    My preference: Hmmm, Ed Harris I think.

Best Supporting Actress: Meryl Streep
    My preference: Any of them deserve it, but I think I prefer Juliane Moore.

Best Director: Martin Scorcese
    My preference: Probably Rob Marshall, but I haven't seen several of these pics so I don't have a good opinion.

FORT Fogey
    I'll be rooting for Pedro Almodovar to win Best Director. The man is Yoda when it comes to making movies.

FORT Fogey

Not My Kind of Town - Chicago

I don't know what it is, or what I am basing my feelings on, but I don't want Chicago to win. I'll really be upset if it's one of those 'sweeps' for which the Awards are notorious.

If Jack Nicholson wins again I'll puke!

Pedro must win! I am also a huge Almodovar fan. His films are full of humanity and humor. They are so well crafted and oh, the colors. That man's films are a veritable kaleidoscope. What an artist!

Every year I have looked forward to this event, but something is just not there this year, and I think we all feel it. Nevertheless, I am glad the Academy Awards are on, I just hope the event doesn't turn into a political arena.

Well, Jack didn't win so you'll be alright, Caligirl.
    The actor for The Pianist won. Can't recall his name.

I had a feeling Chicago would win because all the buzz and hype surrounding that movie. It did win in the end. I haven't seen it so I really didn't care whether it won or not. I'm not into musicals, but I might rent it when it comes to Blockbuster.

Also, Nicole Kidman won for Best Actress. I really like her, but again, I have seen that movie "The Hours". It just looks so boring to me.

Don't you hate when

You trust someone to tape something YOU really want to see although they think it's stupid?
    I MISSED THE OSCARS YOU GUYS!!!!

argh. My boyfriend said he'd tape them. Me and my kids and Mom were going to get together tonight and watch them. He taped the wrong freaking channel!!!!!!!!!!

Called me late to tell me ooopssss sorry -- did not seem to think it was a big deal. I said how would you feel if I screwed up taping the superbowl........grrrrrrr

Does anyone here do a re-cap (please say yeah)
    ???

I know it's not that important. Just something I really had planned to see tonight with my family and was pretty pissed off.

I must say though I heard Nicole Kidman won and I was thrilled.
    She was way overdue.

So, what were the highlights of the show?? Was it good? Boring (think Grammy boring) a friend told me Steve Martin sucked - inside jokes -
    what did you all think??
    !!!

how was Nicole's speach?? I'm very surprised Catherine Zeta Jones won. I like her but, didn't think she was that great in Chicago. Then again I didn't see the other movies (just Gangs)

fill
    me
    in
    please!!!!!
    Thanks
    ~ Christina Aguilera

Just wanted to add and ask
    who is this guy that won over Ed Harris!!!!

I HATED hearing he lost yet again.......grrrr

maybe it's not so bad that I missed the show.

The only thing I was really happy hearing about was Nicole Kidman winning (that I can think of right now)

So glad she won!
    ~ Christina Aguilera