+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 151 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109149 ... LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

FORT Fogey

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

The New World! What a wonderful treat I had no idea I was missing. I felt like I was in Virginia with all of the amazing scenery and quiet beauty of nature. This was the first time I appreciated Colin Farrell's acting ability. So much of the film is portrayed without dialogue, and done amazingly so.

I rented The Dark Knight Rises for my New Year movie.
    Overall it was excellent! The last one was better, but only because The Joker stole the show. There's a reason Heath Ledger won the Oscar for that performance. Matching it or surpassing it would be extremely difficult.
    Bane's voice was difficult to understand & that took away from Tom Hardy's performance. He was an adequate villian, but nothing more.
    Anne Hathaway's Catwoman was great. She gave class to the character. She was never over the top, which added believability. Her storyline was compelling. I only wish we would have seen some backstory.
    Christian Bale shined in this one. His turmoil/depression/obsession was so tangible. I also liked the fact that they made us realize the toll that his "job" was taking on his body, plus also on his mental frame of mind. This is often glossed over or ignored not only in Batman, but other films of this type.
    Alfred, Fox, Commissioner Gordon, once again were perfect & added so much to the story.
    Joseph Gordon Levitt as Blake was a great addition. I was cheering for him from the start & also for his survival.

All in all, the ending was a perfect wrap up for the trilogy.
    Last edited by Miss Scarlet; 01-01-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The Campaign - a funny look at political campaigns. Not a Will Ferrell fan but liked this movie.
    We just watched this and I loved it. I'm also NOT a Will Ferrell fan but the rest of the cast made up for it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    We just watched this and I loved it. I'm also NOT a Will Ferrell fan but the rest of the cast made up for it.
    I was very surprised and impressed with Zach Galifianakis's performance as Marty Huggins.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Not today, but over the holiday week: We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Hunger Games, Bad Teacher, Orphan, Magic Mike, Young Adult, Jeff Who Lives at Home, and The Butterfly Effect.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

We went to see Django Unchained. I'm not normally a fan of really graphic bloody movies (which this definitely was - Quentin Tarantino wrote and directed it). However, we liked the movie. Jamie Foxx was really good, and I loved the guy who played his dentist sidekick.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

We went to see Zero Dark Thirty today. We thought it was a really well made, well acted movie. Given the nature of the subject matter, I wouldn't say it was easy to watch, especially the earlier torture scenes, but I knew that going in. I was surprised at the number of people who brought their under 10 year old kids to it though. Even if you 8 year old is a new junkie, it seems more appropriate to watch on DVD in case it gets to be too much (which, for some adults, it clearly was because there were a lot of walk outs).

And man, I need to rewatch Pride & Prejudice because this is the second movie (Contagion being the other one) where I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out who the actress is that looks so familiar. Either that, of Jennifer Ehle needs to do more movies.

Gangster Squad - The very first scene is very violent. VERY. I was not prepared so I squealed. Movie was good, not spectacular but I was entertained. I love me some Ryan Gosling but was not feeling the accent. Made him sound like mickey mouse with a cold. Sean Penn is just a beast, not sure if that's a good or bad thing but he plays the jerk, evil pig the best. If you don't mind that 83.8% of the movie is either someone being beat up, shot, stabbed, blown up etc. then it's entertaining.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Having SHOWTIME free all weekend has been great.

DH and I have seen The Iron Lady (Margaret Thatcher) w/Meryl Streep. Very good
    Source Code with Jake Gyllenhaal, good.
    Real Steel with Hugh Jackman, really enjoyed.
    The Help, excellent.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    KAREN

Lawless - That little indie based on a true story about moonshiners in VA during Prohibition. A wonderful cast all around. Shia LeBoeuf - Good. Tom Hardy - Fantastic. Guy Pearce - Creepily Awesome. Jessica Chastain was great too. Shia had much better charisma than usual in this. I could even see some similarities to a young Harrison Ford here. And I just love Tom Hardy. In fact, I think I'm developing quite the crush. He has such presence in his quieter roles. There is something about him that just makes him infinitely watchable. Even if he's doing nothing at all. First Warrior and now this movie. Please check out this movie. You will be glad you did. There is a fair amount of bloody violence however, so be prepared for that. Just don't let it stop you from seeing this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread