+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 166 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100140 ... LastLast
Like Tree273Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Today I watched 'Crusing' from 1980 about the underground gay S&M scene. With Al Pacino! Not the best, but I love seeing NYC movies from the 70's/80's. The movie reminded me how seedy the meat packing district was - I used to scurry past it when the bus didn't show for my 8th grade dances.

It was also cool to see Ed O'Neil and Paul Sorvino in their younger years.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Last three I've seen were White Chicks, The Out-of-Towners, and The Mummy.

I watched 2 movies this weekend, 1 on one of those older movie channels on TV, the other a rental. The only similarity is that both had big name stars.

#1: Frankie & Johnny with Al Pacino & Michelle Pfeiffer. It started out interesting. Looked like it might be a romantic comedy with some seriousness/drama thrown in. WRONG. It went downhill the whole time. A total waste of 2 hours. Boring & depressing.

#2 Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn & Gregory Peck (I had forgotten how absolutely gorgeous he was in his youth) This movie was WONDERFUL! They just don't make them like this anymore. Great characters, great story, great acting. No cheap cop-outs thrown in(violence/sex/special effects). Just good story telling. Three thumbs up.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

CCL

Roman Holiday is one of my favorites.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I went on a campaign to make my 17 year old son watch older movies with me.

The Princess Bride - This movie NEVER gets old. It is FANTASTIC and my son agreed!

Scream - I really enjoyed this movie and it held up well over time. I think I laughed as hard through the final scene as I did the first time. "My parents are gonna be so mad!"

Nightmare on Elm Street - This movie does not hold up so well over time. I knew it was going to be cheesy, but man I forgot just how incredibly cheesy it was (I was really young when I first watched it). It was funny to see Johnny Depp so young! It took my son a while to recognize him.

Oh man, I can't believe I'm even going to admit this, but this weekend we took our kids to the OogieLoves movie. Apparently the WSJ did a story about it having the worst opening weekend ever for a movie (like think $35 a theater)! We went on Sunday and were the only ones in the theater. My kids are 2 and 4 and they absolutely LOVED it. It is very interactive, so my daughter in particular had a blast singing and dancing. My husband and I - well, we both decided that with some good alcohol, it might have been entertaining! Seriously, think Teletubbies, but worse! The things we do for our kids.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Oh man, I can't believe I'm even going to admit this, but this weekend we took our kids to the OogieLoves movie. Apparently the WSJ did a story about it having the worst opening weekend ever for a movie (like think $35 a theater)! We went on Sunday and were the only ones in the theater. My kids are 2 and 4 and they absolutely LOVED it. It is very interactive, so my daughter in particular had a blast singing and dancing. My husband and I - well, we both decided that with some good alcohol, it might have been entertaining! Seriously, think Teletubbies, but worse! The things we do for our kids.
    My cable system has a station called the Baby Channel.... it plays shapes floating around and other odd things.... it might also be okay with some alcohol too!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    My cable system has a station called the Baby Channel.... it plays shapes floating around and other odd things.... it might also be okay with some alcohol too!
    WE HAVE THAT CHANNEL!! My kids loved that too! Luckily now they have grown out of it - but it definitely does the job for little ones. The sad thing was I started liking some of the programming! Oh Lordy, I am lost.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I saw that once when I was on vacation staying in a motel. I turned the TV on one morning very early & somehow ended up on that channel. I must have left in on for about a half an hour wondering what on earth the point of it was. I kept waiting for the "show" to start up. It never did. That was the "show".
    It was strangely mesmorizing.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Turner Classic Movies was airing Cary Grant movies last night. I wish I had known that earlier but happened to chance on a midnight showing of I Was a Male War Bride, circa 1949. It starred Grant as a French Lt. who falls in love with an American Army Lt. played by Ann Sheridan. It was one of those cute, screwball comedies. I especially enjoy TCM b/c I love hearing the back story and tidbits about filming, etc. Interesting story that both stars were very, very ill during filming. Sheridan became ill with pleurisy, which went into pneumonia. Grant became ill filming a scene where his motorcycle crashed into a haystack. Filming shut down for 4 months. Apparently when they shot the end of that scene Grant was noticeably 20 pounds lighter. My late mom was named Ann and Ann Sheridan was her favorite actress. Many people thought she resembled her in her youth. I definitely could see the resemblance in this movie.
    inthegarden likes this.

+ Reply to Thread