+ Reply to Thread
Page 89 of 145 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899139 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Critical, that's funny that you just mentioned Stage Door... was just texting with my friend about Hepburn movies...she mentioned that one as one of her favorites but I have yet to see it. I will have to look for it.

Oh Stage Door is so good!!!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I didn't mean to watch it... but I watched Robocop 3 today. It was hilariously horrible.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

I didn't watch ANY movies during the Olympics, so this weekend I tried to catch up on my Netflix. Unfortunately, the ones I had weren't great...

Mirror, Mirror - The acting itself wasn't terrible, but the script was. The special effects weren't awful and the costumes were great. However, instead of this feeling like it took place in a vast fairy tale world, they had like five "locations" where all the scenes took place and they looked like made-up movie set locations. It was very odd. My 7-year-old daughter enjoyed it. I fell asleep before it was over and had no desire to go back and see what had happened.

The Sound of Noise - The Netflix synopsis was that renegade musicians were out to fill their Swedish hometown with music and a grouchy cop was out to stop them. I thought it sounded fun and quirky. I still think the idea sounds promising, but I didn't like the way it was executed. It was way more serious than I expected and the musicians were far more negative than I anticipated. I was pretty bored by the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My favorite Katharine Hepburn is one of her earlier ones (although not as early as Little Women) - Stage Door. The cast is like a who's who: Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball, Ann Miller, Eve Arden, Adolphe Menjou...I watch it any time it's on!

I thought Winona Ryder was a bit over-the-top as Jo too. Maybe the role just brings that out!
    I adore Stage Door. I've owned the DVD for a while now. I also liked the original 1933 version of Little Women. Also enjoyed the 1949 version. I did not like the 1994 version at all.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I adore Stage Door. I've owned the DVD for a while now. I also liked the original 1933 version of Little Women. Also enjoyed the 1949 version. I did not like the 1994 version at all.
    Ann Miller had to have been about 15 when she was in it! And Lucille Ball was gorgeous!

I also like the 33/49 Little Women very much. I think I saw the 1949 version a zillion times on tv growing up.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Ann Miller had to have been about 15 when she was in it! And Lucille Ball was gorgeous!

I also like the 33/49 Little Women very much. I think I saw the 1949 version a zillion times on tv growing up.
    Ann Miller was actually only 14 when she did Stage Door! I remember watching it on AMC and they gave all these facts about the movie and cast. I remember being shocked at how young Ann Miller was in the movie. I think they got away with casting her because she was tall - she didn't look like little girl.

ITA about Lucille Ball - stunning! Not that she wasn't beautiful in I Love Lucy, but she was absolutely gorgeous as a young woman.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I did know that about Anne Miller. She was one of my most favorite tap dancers, and I've listed to a lot of her interviews. She was the one who persuaded choreographer Hermes Pan to let Bob Fosse do the choreography for his part in the From Tbis Moment On number with Carol Haney. That was Fosse's first movie choreography.

She also said that Bubsy Berkley worked her unbearably hard in the movies she did for him while she was still a young teenager. Her feel were always heavily bleeding. She was tall and did look older than her age, so she got away with it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Funny that we're talking about Ann Miller. I just happened upon On the Town, one of my favorite musicals, starring Gene Kelly (my absolute favorite), Frank Sinatra, Vera-Ellen and Ann Miller....along with Betty Garrett and Jules Munshin. I'm watching Ann's number in the museum in that fabulous green dress with the black and white trim. God, she was wonderful.

I have stuff to do today, but all I want to do is sit and watch this movie....that I've seen at least 20 times! Little bit of trivia: It was the first movie musical to be shot on location.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

We just went to see The Bourne Legacy. I really like Matt Damon, but the convoluted plots the earlier Bourne movies had me not liking them very much. However, Jeremy Renner was AWESOME in this latest film in the series, and I actually followed the story!!!

As I said to my hubby on the way home, "Rachel Weisz. She gets to spend all day with Jeremy Renner and all night with Daniel Craig. She's a lucky woman! (But not as lucky as I am - I get to spend every day and every night with YOU!)"

+ Reply to Thread