+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 164 FirstFirst ... 38787980818283848586878889909192939495969798138 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

We went to see Ted yesterday. It’s not something that we would have ordinarily gone to the theatre to see, but is our annual see a movie/pick up dinner at the India Bazaar festival weekend, and the choices at our local theatre were Ted, Magic Mike, Spiderman and some kids movies, so Ted it was. It was a lot funnier than either of us anticipated it being – we were still giggling as we ploughed through our butter chicken, aloo gobi, naans and samosas. And it was slightly less crude than Mr. Rattus expected it to be, though it was exactly as crude as I expected it to be. So word of warning, if you don’t like crude, you won’t like this. I will say that I was surprised by how good a job Mark Wahlberg did acting with a CGI teddy bear.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I bought an incredible black and white photo poster of Mikhail Baryshnikov at a yard sale yesterday and it reminded me of a movie he had done with tap dancer, Gregory Hines called White Nights. It also includes Isabella Rossellini and a very young Helen Mirren. If you like dance and haven't seen this one, it's available on Netflix to stream. If you're too young to know about people defecting from the Soviet Union, you might want to brush up on your history first. It had to have been an emotional movie for him to make!
    Count your blessings!

Ted - Very funny and agree with poster above that movie is very crude.

Amazing Spiderman - Boy did I find Andrew Garfield adorable. Also loved Martin Sheen. Was pretty good.

Magic Mike - everything i hoped it would be. Eye candy to last me weeks in my memory.

My Favorite Year - On right now and love love love Peter O'Toole. Fantastic movie that is still funny even now.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Gutmutter - I agree - White Nights is a fantastic movie.

I saw Magic Mike and yes, it was just like going to a "male dance revue" (I am not ashamed to say I have been to several!) The eye candy was great but the "plot" was a snooze and some of the editing was weird. I didn't like how some scenes just ended. My only other complaint - not enough Joe M. Seriously - he had the best body of all the guys (Channing included) and we just didn't see enough of it.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Saw "To Rome With Love" last night. It's Woody Allen's latest and we enjoyed it a lot. Woody can sometimes be annoying (IMO) but he was really funny in this one. On the whole, I actually enjoyed this one more than "Midnight in Paris." The cast was fabulous...Alec Baldwin, Jessie Eisenberg, Ellen Page, Penelope Cruz, Roberto Begnini, Allison Pill - she's in HBO's The Newsroom.... and lots of beautiful Italian actors as well The scenes of Rome were lovely. I would definitely recommend this one. Be aware though most of the movie is in English, it takes place in Rome and as several of the characters are Italian, some scenes are subtitled.

As for "Magic Mike"...Yum. Just yum Why have I not been a fan of Channing Tatum before?? And I actually liked the movie too. It wasn't great, but it was an enjoyable way to pass the time One thing though. Did no one else find Alex Rodriguez's...um, backside...just weird? It was totally flabby and flying around when he turned around to shake it. Maybe I'll have to go see it again just so I can make sure I wasn't imagining things...
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Fort Member

We saw Spiderman then Ted
    Ted was definately the better of the two
    Crass but funny

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I saw a bit of Melancholia yesterday. I didn't finish so I guess I can't say I "watched" it.

The Rum Diary. Didn't hold out much hope for it, in spite of Johnny Depp, but we loved it. It's amazing the way he manages to look perfect no matter what period in time the movie is set in. Also loved the guy who played his sidekick/roommate.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Went to a matinee showing of Hope Springs starring Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, and Steve Carell as the marriage therapist. It was highly entertaining. I don't think Streep has ever given a bad turn as an actress which reminds me that last night I saw another fine actress Kate Hepburn in the original Little Women on the AMC channel. I had never seen it but had seen the Winona Ryder remake. This was released in 1933. Oh my, Katherine Hepburn was a pip. The character of Jo is supposed to be a tomboy but she was a bit over the top in this role, although I still loved her. She is always a bit strident but whenever she was on screen I needed to lower the volume as she was very loud. Still, I was weepy through half of the movie.

My favorite Katharine Hepburn is one of her earlier ones (although not as early as Little Women) - Stage Door. The cast is like a who's who: Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Lucille Ball, Ann Miller, Eve Arden, Adolphe Menjou...I watch it any time it's on!

I thought Winona Ryder was a bit over-the-top as Jo too. Maybe the role just brings that out!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread