+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 155 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    We watched Moneyball last night and really liked it. I love baseball and felt this was an interesting story. I had no idea it was a true one until near the end, when I had to look something up online.
    Brad Pitt gave a fantastic performance. I think he's underrated as an actor.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Fort Member

We saw Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter last night
    Really liked it my husband had read the book and he liked it as well
    Would definitely recommend it as an interesting alternative version of histoy
    Oh and It does have a couple of scares and a but of gore but not nearly as much as it could have had

I was talking with friends the other night about The Newsroom and that lead into a discussion of the superior Broadcast News and how it tackled the subject of TV news in a less biased (I thought) way. As it turned out, the movie ended up being on HBO later that night, so I watched it for the millionth time and loved it as much as I always have. My mom and I still quote lines from that movie over 20 years later.

Then I went to Netflix to see if I'd rated it and found this little gem of a review. I don't even know what to say:
    Yea i totally loved this movie I kind of didnt know what they were talking about half the time and why Janie and Aaron didnt want William Hurt to be a anchor. I thought it was really cute to see no cell phones no computers, and then Aaron is a total a** to Jane and he ruins everything between Will Hurt and Jane and I dont know why really but it rocked. Holly Hunter is awesome.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I was talking with friends the other night about The Newsroom and that lead into a discussion of the superior Broadcast News and how it tackled the subject of TV news in a less biased (I thought) way. As it turned out, the movie ended up being on HBO later that night, so I watched it for the millionth time and loved it as much as I always have. My mom and I still quote lines from that movie over 20 years later.

Then I went to Netflix to see if I'd rated it and found this little gem of a review. I don't even know what to say:
    Love Broadcast News. The relationship with Aaron and Janie is fantastic. The quirks, dialogue between them. Love it.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    Love Broadcast News. The relationship with Aaron and Janie is fantastic. The quirks, dialogue between them. Love it.
    Me too. I love the line, "I'll meet you at the place by the thing where we went that time" and she knows what he's talking about.

It's odd to me how many people who reviewed the movie on Netflix thought it was dated. Aside from the lack of cell phones and computers, I think it still has resonance. Those debates about human interest stories vs. real news and about style vs. substance are still going on.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Me too. I love the line, "I'll meet you at the place by the thing where we went that time" and she knows what he's talking about.
    This is so funny. I'm reconnecting with an old friend next week and I was about to post that line on her Facebook page. I loved this movie, and it's not at all dated. It covers the same moral issues as "The Newsroom" without being preachy. I liked how it used the two anchors as a metaphor for the news profession itself -- cynical and shallow vs. earnest and meaningful -- and how easy it is to get seduced by a handsome no-nothing.

I have mixed feelings about "The Newsroom." On the one hand, the political messages are brilliant and need to be said (you can't have a healthy democracy if voters are misinformed). But it seems like the show should be set in a journalism school where they'd really have those philosophical discussions. They don't in newsrooms, at least not at newspapers I've worked for. The dialogue is more like, "You need to trim three inches. Is the pizza here yet?" My other peeve about Sorkin is how heavily he relies on telling, rather than showing. He's a talky, talky, script writer. If I were around people who talked that much and that fast I'd want to poke my ears out.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Ballerina - Watched on Netflix instant. Documentary about Russian ballerinas and follows 5 ballerinas at different points in their careers. I don't know anything about ballet, but I love watching dance. It was fascinating!

I love that one! I've watched it a few times. Since it was shot some time ago, I went and did research to see what the various dancers featured are doing now. Kind of interesting to see what's happened since the movie was made.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Last night I watched The Help, which I was ambivalent about seeing in theaters, but on HBO that's paid for, eh, what the hell. I was 100% sold on the cast, but I was a bit put off by the "the white lady saves the black people" disturbing trope that came along with the book/movie. The cast sure did deliver. Viola Davis should have won the Oscar. I wasn't thrilled with the way it ended, but that's a writing thing, not a performing thing.

And then tonight, in an apparent Emma Stone binge (whom I've loved since the early-cancelled Fox series "Drive"), I watched Crazy, Stupid Love. It had it's moments and was pretty solid for what it was, but perhaps I was in too much of a taciturn mood to watch it and learn I should have found my "soul mate" when I was in my early teens or early 20s.

I need to find something fun to watch tomorrow when I do laundry!

ok I just watched Marsha Marcie May Marlene who can explain the ending to me. I'm not usually dense but I just didn't get what happened.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread