+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 145 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293133 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1443
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

  1. #821
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,707

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I have been on a Pride and Prejudice kick lately. I saw the Keira Knightly version last weekend, then read the book in 24 hours and now am watching the version with Colin Firth as Darcy. I know I am in the minority, but I really loved the Keira Knightly version. I agree that she is not what or how I pictured Elizabeth to be, but I am so much more in love with that movie's Darcy. I will say, I have about an hour to go in the Firth version, so that may change tonight. What I do love about the Firth version is that it is much more true to the book - and the characters in this version are much closer to how they actually acted in the book. For example, in the KK version, it appears that she is drawn to Darcy from very early on and conflicted when he proposes the first time. In the book, this wasn't true and she really hated him at that point. The Firth version portrays this much more accurately - so I am interested to see the rest and see how she changes over the last half of the movie.
    I love everything Jane Austen (English Major) and I absolutely adored the Colin Firth version of P&P. I enjoyed the Keira Knightly film, but having seen the BBC production much earlier, it remains my absolute favourite. Plus, at 6 hours it had much more time to be true to the story without feeling rushed. I loved Elizabeth in the CF version as well, and nothing can touch Firth's portrayal of Mr. Darcy, at least in my eyes. Oh, the scene where he swims across the pond to Pemberly....

    My daughters sat through the CF show with me when they were 10. I had to laugh, because when Darcy proposes so very badly to Elizabeth, one of them turned to me and said "I don't think she's going to accept that"

    I read the book awhile ago, but I just finally saw The Help and I really liked it. The actresses were amazing, particularly the girl who played Hilly. They veered from the book quite a bit in places, but it remained true to the feeling of it I think. I loved the girl who played Miss Celia as well. She was fantastic, as were both the women who played Aibileen and Minny.
    Critical likes this.

  2. #822
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,638

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I love everything Jane Austen (English Major) and I absolutely adored the Colin Firth version of P&P. I enjoyed the Keira Knightly film, but having seen the BBC production much earlier, it remains my absolute favourite. Plus, at 6 hours it had much more time to be true to the story without feeling rushed. I loved Elizabeth in the CF version as well, and nothing can touch Firth's portrayal of Mr. Darcy, at least in my eyes. Oh, the scene where he swims across the pond to Pemberly....

    My daughters sat through the CF show with me when they were 10. I had to laugh, because when Darcy proposes so very badly to Elizabeth, one of them turned to me and said "I don't think she's going to accept that"

    I read the book awhile ago, but I just finally saw The Help and I really liked it. The actresses were amazing, particularly the girl who played Hilly. They veered from the book quite a bit in places, but it remained true to the feeling of it I think. I loved the girl who played Miss Celia as well. She was fantastic, as were both the women who played Aibileen and Minny.
    It's a tie for me as far as which Austen adaptation is the best. It's between the Firth P&P and the version if Persuasion with Ciaran Hinds. Frederick in the naval uniform =

    Since I'm canceling my HBO as soon as Game of Thrones ends - or after I catch up on episodes of The Wire, I've been trying to get my money's worth. I'm fairly certain I've watched Harry Potter 8 about 3 dozen times! I think it's on at least 5 times a day. Yep, I just looked and it's on again!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  3. #823
    Forum Assistant sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,707

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    So last night, at Mr. Sweetpea's choosing, we watched Idiocracy. Then it was my choice so we watched Mama Mia again. He fell asleep.

    Idiocracy was ridiculous. Sure, there were some funny bits but mostly it was just stupid. Mr. S calls it social commentary. Uh huh.

  4. #824
    I love carpet Realitychick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    1,666

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    Snow White and the Huntsman - Kristen Stewart is Snow White, Charlize Theron is the evil step mother... It was good. It was long or maybe got slow in parts because once I get tired butt syndrome, i can't stay focused. Charlize played an awesome bad ass. Kristen Stewart did her usual, portraying only one emotion thru the whole movie. Fight scenes were pretty cool. But overall it was ok.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

  5. #825
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    I am just back from seeing Snow White and the Huntsman. I agree with you, Realitychick. It wasn't really that the 2 hour length was bad, but the pacing was off and there were some slow moments. The fairie forest was cool, and I was surprised at the actors who played the dwarfs.

  6. #826
    I love carpet Realitychick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Charlotte
    Posts
    1,666

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I am just back from seeing Snow White and the Huntsman. I agree with you, Realitychick. It wasn't really that the 2 hour length was bad, but the pacing was off and there were some slow moments. The fairie forest was cool, and I was surprised at the actors who played the dwarfs.
    I was also surprised at some of the actors who played the dwarfs... The forest scenes were beautiful and I did enjoy the music.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

  7. #827
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,910

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Idiocracy was ridiculous. Sure, there were some funny bits but mostly it was just stupid. Mr. S calls it social commentary. Uh huh.
    I agree with both you and with Mr. S. It is social commentary, but it is also ridiculous. It had a really good premise, but extremely poor execution.

    Mr. Rattus and I watched The Other Guys this weekend and surprised ourselves by laughing quite heartily. Plus, some stuff blowed up real good.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  8. #828
    Resident "tyrant" JavaJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bedlam
    Posts
    5,985

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    This Means War was cute. There were some funny parts, although the fight scenes were cheezy as hell. It was fun fluff.

    Gone was decent. I thought it moved at a pretty good pace and the whole time I was wondering if she really was off her rocker or if what she said was the truth. I won't spoil it for you, but I think the ending could have been written better.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

  9. #829
    Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Mr. Rattus and I watched The Other Guys this weekend and surprised ourselves by laughing quite heartily. Plus, some stuff blowed up real good.
    I caught The Other Guys a while back on a dull weekend night. It delivered the laughs more than I expected. It's actually quite funny and, yeah, stuff gets blowed up!

  10. #830
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,638

    Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

    I really liked The Other Guys too! I found myself laughing out loud and that rarely happens when I'm watching someone at home by myself. I thought it struck just the right balance between action and quirkiness, like Michael Keaton's character quoting TLC lyrics and not realizing it. I like Will Ferrell a lot, but think he's not to the level where he can rise above bad material (Bewitched, anyone?), but I thought this was a great match for him and the pairing with Mark Wahlburg was perfect.

    I know someone who only watched it for a few well-known actors who have, um, their final scene pretty early in the movie. She turned it off after that. I told her she missed out, big time!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.