+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 153 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192132 ... LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I watched "The Iron Lady" last weekend. Meryl Streep was amazing as Margaret Thatcher, but the story was strangely distant, with no real plot or purpose. I'm curious what others thought of it.
    I haven't seen it yet, but my mom had the same feelings you did about it. She thought Meryl was fabulous, but the movie was strange. I know it was getting comparisons to Leonardo DiCaprio's J. Edgar - great performance in a biopic, but odd movie.

I'll see The Ion Lady eventually, but it's not high on my list. I mainly want to see if because I think it's the only one of the Best Actress nominees I didn't see this year!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I saw it yesterday. I think it seemed strange because it was from a POV from when Margaret Thatcher was at the melancholy end of her life so that even the flashbacks were painted in the same hue. Her dementia has her hearing and seeing her dead husband, Dennis, for the majority of the elderly parts, but for me - it all worked. You got to see her mind ramblings take her back to the beginnings of her ambition and those who played a part along the way. You also could see her turning point when she stopped listening and began demanding only she was right.

I found it a thoughtful movie with some insight into one of the power players of that era.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

What to Expect When you're Expecting - Came out this weekend and saw it yesterday. It was cute. Funny in some parts but probably a more dvd rental or pick it up on cable when it gets released on a cable network. Surprisingly the Jennifer Lopez character was relatable and I thought she did well. I've been trying to get pregnant for a long time and just hasn't happened so there were some sad parts and then some ok maybe I am glad I can't... lol. It was cute though, just a little long.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

The Dictator - Sasha Baron Cohen who has played Borat and Bruno in previous films... He plays a dictator... HORRIBLE MOVIE... I think i might of laughed once and that was because the woman in front of us walked out of the movie. I thought Borat was funny, was grossed out by Bruno but this film was poorly made, jokes are your typical politically incorrect things that you would never say out loud... Cheap and overplayed jokes that he used in the previous films. Only thing I did like was a quick cameo of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Ed Norton, my lord he looked good.

Aliens - I re-watched this movie over the weekend, mostly because I wanted to make one of my teenage sons watch it before we go see Prometheus next month. It is definitely my fav movie of the Alien franchise. I was surprised at how well it holds up over time. So often when I go back and watch a movie that I really liked as a kid, it falls short when I watch it again. Not this one, Ripley was just as fantastic and the character played by Paul Reiser was just as distasteful!

Battleship - Lots of explosions and dialogue that really tried to have funny one-liners but tried too hard and fell flat. Could have done without Rihanna the singer in it, there was no purpose for her in the movie at all. Best part of movie was seeing eric from True Blood. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    Battleship - Lots of explosions and dialogue that really tried to have funny one-liners but tried too hard and fell flat. Could have done without Rihanna the singer in it, there was no purpose for her in the movie at all. Best part of movie was seeing eric from True Blood. Yummy.
    He is probably the only only reason I will watch this movie, but not until it comes out on disc.

I have been on a Pride and Prejudice kick lately. I saw the Keira Knightly version last weekend, then read the book in 24 hours and now am watching the version with Colin Firth as Darcy. I know I am in the minority, but I really loved the Keira Knightly version. I agree that she is not what or how I pictured Elizabeth to be, but I am so much more in love with that movie's Darcy. I will say, I have about an hour to go in the Firth version, so that may change tonight. What I do love about the Firth version is that it is much more true to the book - and the characters in this version are much closer to how they actually acted in the book. For example, in the KK version, it appears that she is drawn to Darcy from very early on and conflicted when he proposes the first time. In the book, this wasn't true and she really hated him at that point. The Firth version portrays this much more accurately - so I am interested to see the rest and see how she changes over the last half of the movie.

Gone Baby Gone: What a fantastic movie. It turns out that Ben Affleck really is an excellent director, and Amy Ryan was just stunning in her role - she's a hell of an actress. And it's not often that a movie gets me literally cursing out a character at the end like I did with Patrick Kenzie.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Men In Black III - It was ok... Maybe because I barely remembered the first two, so it made it harder for me to really enjoy it... A lot of dry humor that I just sat in silence over... I laughed a few times but other then that I was disappointed. Although Josh Brolin does an awesome job as a younger Tommy Lee Jones.

+ Reply to Thread