+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 167 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I'm so glad to hear you liked it! I saw a preview for BEMH when I saw "The Artist" and have been looking forward to it ever since
    That's when I first saw the preview for it too. Usually, I get invites to movies I'd never want to see, so I was really excited when I got the email about the screening for this one!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched Game Change last night. The movie was well done and definitely worth watching. I thought Woody Harrelson did a really good job (as did Julianne Moore and Ed Harris). A few thoughts:
    • As an Alaskan who grew up going to the Alaska State Fair, the scene where Palin got the first call from McCain annoyed me to no end.
    • This movie reminded me how much I wanted Palin to do well, and how much is really dislike her now. I do not live in Alaska anymore, but I still follow the news and I visited during her campaign for governor in which she ran as a moderate. I respected McCain, but it is unlikely that I would have voted for him no matter who he picked for VP. However, as an Alaskan, and a woman, I wanted to see Palin make a good showing during the race. I was seriously disappointed in her performance and her change to support extreme positions at the national level.
    • This movie also reminded me of how disgusted I was with the response of some of the crowds during that election. At least McCain was clearly uncomfortable with it and tried to set the record straight at times. Palin seemed to revel in it and fan the flames of racism, which I find reprehensible.
    • While I do believe the portrayal of Palin as extremely lacking in knowledge on foreign policy, I find it hard to believe that she was going into "catatonic states" and that they thought she was "mentally unstable". If it was really that bad what the heck did they think would happen when she got into office!?
    • If I never see Palin in the limelight again, I will be totally okay with that.

I'm watching Water For Elephants right now and I'm sobbing like a baby. That poor elephant. This is horrible! I can't take watching the abuse.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I'm watching Water For Elephants right now and I'm sobbing like a baby. That poor elephant. This is horrible! I can't take watching the abuse.
    I just had to remind myself that they didn't actually harm her during filming. Unfortunately, a video came out about a year ago of that elephant, Tai, that shows her being shocked with a stun gun and hit with a bull hook for real :
    Elephant trainers accused of abusing animal star of Water for Elephants | Film | guardian.co.uk
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

That's so horrible. I'm not clicking that link because I can't watch it. The anger I feel when over the abuse of animals scares me. I'm not a violent person but if I ever actually witnessed someone harming an animal (or a child), I would lose it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    That's so horrible. I'm not clicking that link because I can't watch it. The anger I feel when over the abuse of animals scares me. I'm not a violent person but if I ever actually witnessed someone harming an animal (or a child), I would lose it.
    Oh, it's an article, not a video. I mean, I think there's a link to the video in the article, but the Guardian is a newspaper, so you're safe
    JavaJo likes this.

Temple Grandin - This is an HBO movie that has been around for a while, starring Claire Danes in the title role. Someone recommended it to me so I watched in on HBO GO over the weekend. It was FANTASTIC. Claire Danes did an amazing job. This film really should have gotten more recognition. Now I am a little jealous of my oldest son, who got to hear Temple Grandin speak last year as part of his Psychology class!

The Descendants - It was good, but I expected it to be better the way everyone was raving about it. I hate going into a film with expectations that are too high.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

The last movie I watched was Groundhog Day.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Temple Grandin - This is an HBO movie that has been around for a while, starring Claire Danes in the title role. Someone recommended it to me so I watched in on HBO GO over the weekend. It was FANTASTIC. Claire Danes did an amazing job. This film really should have gotten more recognition. Now I am a little jealous of my oldest son, who got to hear Temple Grandin speak last year as part of his Psychology class!
    We caught that on HBO while we were on vacation and just loved that movie. Such an inspirational story.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I'm currently watching The Four Seasons for about the millionth time. I LOOOOVE this movie! I'll watch it any time it's on. I can pretty much recite all of the dialogue. If I ever meet Alan Alda, I'll probably gush like a fangirl about this movie. I have errands to do, but not until after the movie is over. The dialogue is so terrific, and still relevant, even though it was written over 30 years ago.

+ Reply to Thread