+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 166 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788128 ... LastLast
Like Tree273Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I watched "Waiting to Exhale" and "Bye Bye love" today.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We went to see "Safe House." I made it about 25 minutes in before the horrendously jerky hand-held camera work started giving me a headache. I left hubby there (it wasn't bothering him) and went shoe shopping instead. Really disappointing, since I'm a big Denzel Washington fan. Fortunately, the manager of the theater gave me a pass to come back and see another movie because I left this one so early.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Finally - Rise of the Planet of the Apes! Whew - edge of my seat. Questions, though, the apes that didn't receive the latest formula - particularly those from the zoo wouldn't know how to communicate. I guess they will be the soldiers that blindly follow Ceasar but the orangatang and others would be his council of advisers. I cried when the great ape died. One problem for Ceasar is that now the military will be after his settlers...would that there could be a sequel.
    I don't recall the specifics of who got what, and I don't know if there will be a sequel, but they certainly did set things up so there could be one. The two specific events that would indicate a sequel were the graphic showing the man-eliminating disease making its way around the world, and the news item earlier showing the manned space vehicle heading to Mars. You know that the astronaut(s) on that thing are coming back to a world run by apes.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Nothing yet, but I got a Blu-ray copy of Inception for my birthday and am thinking about that for a nice lazy Saturday afternoon movie.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

In Time - Futuristic film where time has replaced money in the economy, but the haves and the have-nots still exist. It had a really interesting premise and set up and had all of the elements I like in a sci-fi movie, but for some reason I was still a bit bored by it. I'm going to put my specific gripes in spoilers because they are pertinent to the plot...
    Click to see Spoiler:

- I know this is nit-picky, but the female lead was from a culture where she NEVER had to run. Then she spends most of the movie running in very high heels. I don't think so.
    - The biggest let down for me was that it felt like by the end it had just turned into a bank heist movie. The "rich" people kept alluding to the fact that something terrible would happen if they stole the time, but they never followed that long enough to prove or disprove it. We were left with the main characters still playing Robin Hood, not knowing if there were ever any repercussions for either the rich or the poor. The ending just left me unsatisfied.

My best friends wedding.

Slow day at work, so I re-watched Munich. There are just moments of sheer brilliance in that film, and the breath-taking beauty--like the shot of Avner and his handler with the New York skyline in the background--are broken up by the scenes of human cruelty, brutality and fecklessness. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think it's one of my top ten favorite films from the last decade.

Today, I'll be re-watching Heat...if only I can find my damn copy.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Game Change on HBO - interesting to watch combined with what I recall from the 2008 campaign...Julianne Moore and Woody Harrelson did a great job. Ed Harris was a very likeable John McCain...

"Game Change" was riveting. I kept having to remind myself that I was watching Julianne Moore and not the actual Sarah Palin. And yes, Woody Harrelson was excellent. The only figure who seemed miscast was Todd Palin, who appears much stronger in real life than the meek portrayal on screen. I also liked the way they cut in real newscasts. In another HBO movie, "Too Big to Fail," they aimed for cinema verite, but included scripted newscasts that were so phony they kind of tainted the authenticity. I hope this fim gets remembered when Emmy season rolls around.

On another subject, the documentary "Exporting Raymond" is a funny chronicle of how an American producer is trying to recreate "Everybody Loves Raymond" in Russia. Really well done.

FORT Fogey

I loved Game Change, but I was really disappointed they only did the Palin part of the book. Most of the book was about the race between Obama and Hillary Clinton and it was fascinating. I was excited to see that part and really let down when they skipped it entirely.

+ Reply to Thread