+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 152 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384124 ... LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    When they showed that scene where they took him out of the nice open area (when James Franco was there) and immediately threw him in that cage, I actually cried from the look of abandonment on his face. When we travel, we have someone come and stay at our house with our dog because I believe it would totally make her feel abandoned if we put her in a boarding kennel. She has no idea she's a dog, and it would break her heart to be locked up like that.
    That scene got to me too. The whole movie really made me think of how we treat the creatures who share our planet.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I watched Desk Set, a late 1950's comedy starring Tracy and Hepburn, the other morning on cable. Wow, what chemistry those two had! It really was a delightful movie. The writing was quite witty and clever and the credits said that Henry and Phoebe Ephron (mother of Nora) wrote the screenplay. I had no idea Nora Ephron had writers for parents... guess it does run in the genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I watched Desk Set, a late 1950's comedy starring Tracy and Hepburn, the other morning on cable. Wow, what chemistry those two had! It really was a delightful movie. The writing was quite witty and clever and the credits said that Henry and Phoebe Ephron (mother of Nora) wrote the screenplay. I had no idea Nora Ephron had writers for parents... guess it does run in the genes.
    Fabulous film! Tracy and Hepburn were so good in it. If you get the chance watch Adam's Rib or Woman of the Year.... such good films.

I watched "Encounters at the End of the World," Werner Herzog's documentary about the people working in Antarctica. The premise sounds boring, but Herzog is such a great documentarian that you can't stop watching, especially with questions like "Is there insanity among penguins?" Worth recording.

50/50 - Really well done. I don't generally like Seth Rogan, but he was tolerable in this role. It did an excellent job balancing poignant and funny. I think this could be very difficult to watch if you are currently or have recently dealt with cancer.

Sarah's Key - It was about what I expected. Well made, well acted, and very sad. I still felt like I was missing part of Sarah's story at the end, but maybe that was the point.

FORT Fogey

I watched 50/50 over the weekend too, and also enjoyed it. It wasn't quite what I expected - I thought it would be funnier. But I thought it was very honest and well done. I think you're right ClosetRTWatcher. For anyone who is currently or recently dealing with cancer, it could definitely be an "I'm not alone" but is NOT an escape!

What's Your Number? - Anna Farris and Chris Evans. It was cute. Couple laugh out loud parts but pretty predictable. Best thing about movie was Chris Evans multiple semi-nude scenes. Usually I don't care. But yummy is all I can say.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Saw the latest Tom Cruise movie in the theater...Mission Impossible # XXX, the one where he is scaling a huge glass building in Dubai (I think). Lots of action, and some famous buildings get blown up, with a plot that's even more convoluted than usual...the bad guy thinks nuclear war is good for the evolution of our species...e.g., see how well the Japanese did after WWII? ..and plans to set off a nuclear holocaust which only TC can prevent. Yeah, well, anyway, lots of interesting set pieces by him and his team, near death experiences and drama. Not a thoughtful examination of nuclear war, but then who would expect that of this film---so good if you are in the mood for car crashes and chases and booms.
    One scene I found a little unnerving...a huge sand storm is sweepin in on Dubai, and TC is chasing a villian through the streets with the storm closing in behind them, billowing between the buildings and down the streets... it looked a lot like the footage on 9/11 when the first tower fell. I guess not surprising...that was also a huge dust/ash storm, but definitely a deja vu scene.
    I don't think I'm giving anything away above--pretty much what you see in the previews... just more of it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    When they showed that scene where they took him out of the nice open area (when James Franco was there) and immediately threw him in that cage, I actually cried from the look of abandonment on his face. When we travel, we have someone come and stay at our house with our dog because I believe it would totally make her feel abandoned if we put her in a boarding kennel. She has no idea she's a dog, and it would break her heart to be locked up like that.
    Me, too. (Planet of the Apes when Caesar gets locked up) Really heart wrenching. Makes you rethink those studies where they teach apes sign language, and then the money runs out and/or the apes get to old/dangerous to be around humans post adolescence.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Me, too. (Planet of the Apes when Caesar gets locked up) Really heart wrenching. Makes you rethink those studies where they teach apes sign language, and then the money runs out and/or the apes get to old/dangerous to be around humans post adolescence.
    I also was thinking about that case where the woman had that pet chimp who attacked her friend. Animals are animals, treat them with diginity, but don't try to make them human.

+ Reply to Thread