+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 155 FirstFirst ... 23636465666768697071727374757677787980818283123 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

John LeCarre is a difficult read, but I thought they might jazz up a movie version of one of his cold war tales. I guess not.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Cowboys and Aliens - I thought it started out promising, but overall it was just not good. I was expecting it to be more of an action-comedy. I mean, it's COWBOYS and ALIENS. The combination alone makes me think humor, but this film took itself WAY too seriously. My son watched some of it with me and commented about how sad the story was. I'm going to put my further explanation in spoilers for people who haven't watched because it deals with plot problems.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    In the beginning of the story when Daniel Craig wakes up with the "bracelet" on his wrist and then starts having flashbacks about the woman, I really was interested in where the story was going to go. I was even surprised when we learned that he saw her die. The problem is that after that mystery was revealed, I didn't care much about what else was going on. Harrison Ford's character seemed like an afterthought. He had some okay development, but it didn't seem like a big enough role for him. But, by far, the biggest hole was around the explanation of the aliens. They were here for our gold!? The movie told us it was rare for them, but what were they using it for? Trade? Fuel? They also said they were stealing humans to figure out their weaknesses, but why was that even necessary? If they had just stayed holed up in their little faux-plateau extracting gold, it is likely no one would have ever known they were there. For a species with the ability to travel in space, they sure didn't seem very smart.

Moneyball - The premise was interesting, trying to figure out a new way to recruit players and build a winning team without a top-tier budget. However, the film was rather boring. And it was long at about 2 hrs 15 mins. At about 1 hr 30 mins I was checking the time to see how much was left. If I cared even a little bit about baseball, I might have liked this movie more.

Bridesmaids, my gf said it was good. I thought it was terrible, potty humor, not funny at all

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Cowboys and Aliens - I thought it started out promising, but overall it was just not good.
    With as hot as Daniel Craig looked in those jeans and chaps, I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the plot. (Oops . . . can't believe I said that!!! LOL.)
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.

FORT Fogey

I saw Descendants last night and it was excellent! Everything you wanted to happen did! That almost never happens. It was very satisfying, great plot, good casting, light hearted, witty and fabulous ending.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - I really disliked the last Planet of the Apes movie and I have never seen the original. I really had no interest in watching this film until I heard a couple of reviews about it. I knew the basic gist of the story, but never actually watched a trailer ahead of time. It was surprisingly good!! All of the acting was well done and the CG on the primates was EXCELLENT. It really felt like you were seeing Caeser develop intellectually and emotionally. It's not the best movie ever, but it is definitely worth watching.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Good Night and Good Luck. I finally watched this one and it was as profound as I knew it would be. One thing it did was send me to itunes to download the version of "How High the Moon."
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I just watched a movie on Netflix that I can honestly say could vie for my All Time Favorite ranking! I watched it on Netflix, I think it's a 2008 Swedish movie (with subtitles). But just like watching a good opera, after a while you don't even notice the subtitles. I'm sooooo over what Hollywood puts out after watching this!

Everlasting Moments - Bing Movies

If you watch it, I'd love to know if you think it's as good as I do, or did I just have a bad burrito for dinner

Seriously, as a student of history....just that aspect alone got me - along with the cinematography, period correctness, acting, storyline, etc. Would love to hear your thoughts on it!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - I really disliked the last Planet of the Apes movie and I have never seen the original. I really had no interest in watching this film until I heard a couple of reviews about it. I knew the basic gist of the story, but never actually watched a trailer ahead of time. It was surprisingly good!! All of the acting was well done and the CG on the primates was EXCELLENT. It really felt like you were seeing Caeser develop intellectually and emotionally. It's not the best movie ever, but it is definitely worth watching.
    We just watched that last night and I enjoyed it. I watched all the old films, but wasn't a super fan of them. WE just watched them because they were on and we didn't have a zillion cable channels! I loved this movie. I loved Caesar, as you say just watching him develop was amazing. I felt so bad for him, his dignity taken away as he is locked up in that sanctuary. It also made me question just how we take away the diginity of animals by treating them like nothing. It also raised questions of trying to take wild animals and turn them into something they shouldn't be, ie human. They are still wild animals. As you said it wasn't the greatest movie, but it was quite a good watch. And I have to admit, at the end, I was cheering on the apes!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    . . . I felt so bad for him, his dignity taken away as he is locked up in that sanctuary. . . .
    When they showed that scene where they took him out of the nice open area (when James Franco was there) and immediately threw him in that cage, I actually cried from the look of abandonment on his face. When we travel, we have someone come and stay at our house with our dog because I believe it would totally make her feel abandoned if we put her in a boarding kennel. She has no idea she's a dog, and it would break her heart to be locked up like that.

+ Reply to Thread