+ Reply to Thread
Page 71 of 160 FirstFirst ... 21616263646566676869707172737475767778798081121 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I didn't realize it actually aired in the US at all. What network does it air on?

Super 8 - Pretty good movie about a group of middle school age kids who witness a train crash that is caught up in a military mystery. It is in the 80s style of The Goonies or Gremlins. It was good, and definitely worth watching, but I didn't think it quite lived up to these movies. It also was more of a "horror" genre movie than I expected.

Bad Teacher - Cameron Diaz as a terrible middle school teacher. I expected this to be really bad and it was only slightly less bad than I anticipated. I actually laughed in a couple of places, but it wasn't really enough to make the movie worth watching.
    It's on PBS - Masterpiece Classic, Sunday nights

I have Super 8 from Netflix right now. I was curious to see if it would live up to all the hype.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It's on PBS - Masterpiece Classic, Sunday nights

I have Super 8 from Netflix right now. I was curious to see if it would live up to all the hype.
    Well I'm having a "duh" moment right now. Since every episode started with a "Masterpiece Classics" intro, I should have realized it would air on PBS!

I'll be interested to see what you think of Super 8. So at this point are you glad you went back to Netflix?
    Coco46 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Well I'm having a "duh" moment right now. Since every episode started with a "Masterpiece Classics" intro, I should have realized it would air on PBS!

I'll be interested to see what you think of Super 8. So at this point are you glad you went back to Netflix?
    So far, yes. I'm not overjoyed with them - it's really more a case of my liking Blockbuster a lot less. I think Netflix has a better selection, for sure. There were several titles that were in my queue at Blockbuster and had long wait times and, when I went to add them to my queue on Netflix, I found that they were available streaming. That's a huge bonus.

For me, the only big positive for Blockbuster is that I could get new releases sooner. Really though, if I want to see something sooner, I can get it from Redbox or somewhere else
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched "The Fourth Kind" this weekend on one of the movie channels. Very disturbing. Apparently its supposedly based on true stories out of Nome, Alaska. A psychiatrist/therapist is the "main" character and filmed quite a bit during her sessions. The movie mixes the fiction story and shows the real life footage that was caught (UFO over her house, etc.). I watched it late at night and was spooked when I had to go onto my porch. I DVR'ed it so I can rewatch it (missed a bunch of parts). I believe its reshowing on the same channel (Cinemax? not sure) all month.

I finally saw The Social Network last night - about the guys who founded facebook. Now I understand all the buzz it got while it was out. I missed the first 15 minutes, but I have to say, I was completely hooked within 5 minutes of watching it. Really good acting all around.

Water for Elephants - I loved this book! I can't say the movie was better, but I did really enjoy it. It definitely followed the book, but I think I'm going to go back and re-read it because I do think it changed some things. This movie was really beautifully filmed. My only complaint with the look is that there were some special effects at the end that I thought could have been much better. Most of the acting was good. Reese Witherspoon was fine and Christoph Waltz was outstanding! I don't think they could have picked a better actor for August!! The weak link was Robert Pattinson. He was quite mediocre. I just don't think he is capable of showing the passion that this character deserved. Overall this movie was well done and worth watching.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We just finished watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy (the extended version, which is the only way to watch it, I think) and I forgot how much I love these movies. The book is better but Peter Jackson did it justice, I think.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - This film is set in China and tells the story of two pairs of best friends, one in the present and one in the past and the challenges they face as they move through life. It was okay. It got me a little misty in a couple of places, but I have seen better movies about both China and friendship.

The Sound of Music - One of my all time favorites that I felt like revisiting. I also got my 7 year old and 11 year old children to watch - YAY! This movie is just so wonderful that it never gets old!!

Friends with Benefits - It was better than No Strings Attached, but still a completely predictable rom-com. It mostly beat out the other similar movie released this year because I thought Mila and Justin had more chemistry than Natalie and Ashton. It was okay.

We just watched Crazy Stupid Love. I loved it. It was funny, sweet, and sad all rolled up into one little package.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I'm one of those people that love old old movies...so I usually check out the monthly schedule on Turner Classic Movie channel and pick what I want to record.
    Today I watched "It Happened on 5th Avenue" 1947. I love seeing old fashioned manners, use of words and seeing actors when they were young. This one had Alan Hale Jr (Skipper on Gilligan's Island) as a young man and Gale Storm (what a Hollywood name!) who had her own show in late '50's.
    I have more movies recorded, just waiting for me (and my crocheting) to enjoy, like Auntie Mame, Gypsy, The Man who came to Dinner. Watched Hitchcock's Stranger on the Train w/DH a couple days ago, with Hitchcock's fingerprints all over it....what a master he was with movies.
    also finished Cary Grant's Penny Serenade. That man was always beautiful and the movie was very dramatic, with heartbreak and joy throughout.
    I know I'm probably in the minority as an old movie fan but I sure do love them.

+ Reply to Thread