+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 160 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Ugh. I hate it when I want to edit beyond my allowed time!

I forgot to mention a couple of things about Soul Surfer. First, it was beautifully filmed. It was not a big-budget type movie, but the scenes around Hawaii and in the water were gorgeous! Second, they cast Carrie Underwood as the leader of the church youth group. She seems sweet enough, but she is NOT an actress. Her acting was the low point in this film.

I am behind with my movie watching. I watchedBlack Swan. It was really good.
    You can do it!

Worst movie ever from the Blockbuster Kiosk last night - Henry's Crime with Keanu Reeves. Ugh! Fast forwarded through much of it.

Breast Cancer Awareness! Passepartout's Avatar

Recently watched "Puss In Boots", twentieth movie in the movie theatre I have seen. Pretty cute film!
    Breast Cancer Awareness!

I hate being sick over the holiday But on the bright side, it's a great excuse to stay on the couch and catch up on movies! I just watched "The Secret in their Eyes" an excellent Argentinian mystery/drama. It won an Oscar in 2010 for best foreign film. Completely deserved and I highly recommend this one! I will warn there is a pretty brutal rape scene, but it's very brief.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Never Let Me Go - this is a gut wrenching English film about what could have happened (except for moral outrage) in medical advances to prolong life. I still cry when I think about it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm watching Stephen Fry In America on Netflix right now and am loving it. In six one-hour episodes, he travels through America in a London taxi, learning about all the things that make America, well, America. So far, I've watched New England and the Deep South. I've always been a big fan and now I'm finding that we have a lot of the same opinions. This show was produced for BBC, so he's less censored than he probably would have been if it was for American television.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Catching up on what I watched over the break...

West Side Story -The standard 1961 version. After I watched the Glee episode where they did West Side Story I realized that I have never seen this entire film, and I was lucky enough to find it coming up on a commercial-free cable channel! It was LONG. Definitely typical of it's time period - which was before I was born, so my ability to relate is limited. I thought Anita was the highlight of the film! Overall it was good and I'm glad I watched it, but it isn't one I am likely to watch again.

Monte Carlo - I rented this one because my young daughter wanted to see it. It was a very mediocre tween-targeted movie with Selena Gomez. I was like The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, but not good.

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - I enjoyed it (and after the first movie I always worry about whether I will)! My full review is in the thread for this movie.

Downton Abby - I know this is a television series, but I watched it on Netflix in "marathon mode" so it felt more like a long movie! I really enjoyed the first season, but I was a little sad that there were only 7 episodes. I looks like the second season just aired Sept-Nov 2011. I want to know when it will be available on Netflix, because I really want to find out what happens next in this story!!

The second season of Downton Abbey doesn't air here until January - those dates are for the UK - so you didn't miss it I think the season premiere is January 12th.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The second season of Downton Abbey doesn't air here until January - those dates are for the UK - so you didn't miss it I think the season premiere is January 12th.
    I didn't realize it actually aired in the US at all. What network does it air on?

Super 8 - Pretty good movie about a group of middle school age kids who witness a train crash that is caught up in a military mystery. It is in the 80s style of The Goonies or Gremlins. It was good, and definitely worth watching, but I didn't think it quite lived up to these movies. It also was more of a "horror" genre movie than I expected.

Bad Teacher - Cameron Diaz as a terrible middle school teacher. I expected this to be really bad and it was only slightly less bad than I anticipated. I actually laughed in a couple of places, but it wasn't really enough to make the movie worth watching.

+ Reply to Thread