+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 155 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Just saw "The Next 3 Days" on cable last night starring Russell Crowe and Elizabeth Banks as a married couple. It came out in 2010, apparently the same day one of the Harry Potter movies was released, which perhaps, is why I never heard of it. Banks is accused of murdering her boss and goes to jail and Crowe, a community college professor, is left behind to care for their young son and pick up the pieces. Brian Dennehy has a tiny, tiny role as Crowe's dad (I think he maybe uttered 3 sentences in the entire movie, but always good to see him.) Anyway, I won't give the plot away but at a little over 2 hours long, it kept me alert and very entertained. I highly recommend it.
    AZChristian likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Just saw "The Next 3 Days" on cable last night starring Russell Crowe and Elizabeth Banks as a married couple. It came out in 2010, apparently the same day one of the Harry Potter movies was released, which perhaps, is why I never heard of it. Banks is accused of murdering her boss and goes to jail and Crowe, a community college professor, is left behind to care for their young son and pick up the pieces. Brian Dennehy has a tiny, tiny role as Crowe's dad (I think he maybe uttered 3 sentences in the entire movie, but always good to see him.) Anyway, I won't give the plot away but at a little over 2 hours long, it kept me alert and very entertained. I highly recommend it.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Just added it to my Netflix queue. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post

Yes, this is an excellent movie. I highly recommend it too.
    I only have a kitchen because it came with the house.

I liked The Next 3 Days too! I'm a big Russell Crowe fan so, of course, I loved him in it, but it was great to see Elizabeth Banks in a very different role from the ones she normally does.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched quite a few over the weekend...

Puss in Boots - Took the kiddos to this one. It was pretty good, had some funny moments and the kids enjoyed it. My only complaint is that it was a little long for a kids movie. It started losing my attention near the end when it should have been most interesting. I'm starting to realize that I would much rather watch kids movies at home than in the theater. We went to see it in 3D after reading some reviews recommending this version. 3D movies don't give me a headache or anything, so that wasn't an issue. The 3D animation was pretty cool and the kids liked it so I'm glad we went to see this version.

Crazy Stupid Love - I really enjoyed this one a lot!! Definitely the best movie I saw this weekend. The acting was very good and the story was funny and poignant. On a side note, my son and I just watched "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold" the other weekend, so we both started laughing when Steve Carell's friend walked in with a Macy's bag and said something like "Sorry I'm late, I had to stop at Macy's on the way here." Could they at least TRY to be discreet with their product placements?

X-Men First Class - I'm not a big X-Men fan and I do not know anything other than what I have seen in other movies. That said, I enjoyed this one. The story kept me interested. It was pretty long, but well paced so I wasn't bored by the end. I'm getting burned out on "comic book" based movies, so I was glad this one didn't feel like just one more in a long string of not-so-great ones.

Tabloid - This was an odd documentary about a woman named Joyce McKinney. She was a beauty queen who was accused of kidnapping and raping her Mormon boyfriend. This story starts in the mid 70s, so I was far too young to remember hearing anything about it. This movie is a series of interwoven interview segments with Joyce McKinney and other people involved with her story. You see her telling her "I'm completely innocent" side of the story and other people telling their sides of the story which certainly imply she was not innocent at all. It was interesting and strange at the same time. The story is a he-said-she-said situation and film never tells the viewer "this is what really happened". At one point in a segment with Joyce McKinney she is talking about the boyfriend that she was accused of kidnapping and she says about him something like "Sometimes if you tell yourself a lie long enough, you start to believe it is true". I was left thinking that comment would be better applied to her.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 11-07-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Just got back from seeing "J. Edgar." It's the worst movie I've seen since "Mamma Mia." The first 30 minutes were okay. The last 15 minutes were ridiculous. I'm very disappointed, as I was really looking forward to this one.

I'm fighting a cold so I watched 'Beyond Rangoon' prepping me for my trip to Burma in Feb. It starred Patricia Arquette and she was amazing. Also Spaulding Grey in a cameo. It was about a woman who's sister (Francis McDormand) takes her to Southeast Asia to get her mind off of the murder of her son and husband. Laura, by accident, witnesses the Saffron Revolution.

It was a powerful movie about an event that is little known in a country the size of Texas. Very compelling!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I saw J.Edgar and absolutely loved it...Leonardo was excellent and I really liked the story.....I have a hard time usually sitting through even 2 hours if its not a great movie and I barely noticed the 2 1/2 hours of this one ...
    We live in the land of the free, because of the brave....

Quote Originally Posted by tucrows View Post
    I saw J.Edgar and absolutely loved it...Leonardo was excellent and I really liked the story.....I have a hard time usually sitting through even 2 hours if its not a great movie and I barely noticed the 2 1/2 hours of this one ...
    Um, so . . . how did you like "Mamma Mia"? I thought Leonardo did well until the scenes showed the older Hoover and Tolson - their "aging" makeup and prosthetics were distracting to me. I really was looking forward to seeing J. Edgar . . . no one is more disappointed than I that it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be.

Soul Surfer - I was expecting a heartwarming story of perseverance and that's what I got! It was nicely done and I liked that they had actual video footage at the end of some parts of the movie where her family was filming her. My one warning comes next. The movie is rated PG. I knew there was a shark attack, but I figured with this rating and the "family" angle of the movie it wouldn't be a big deal. I was wrong. The attack was completely out of the blue (even though you know it is coming eventually) and they switched to an under water shot with a LOT of blood. My 7 year old freaked out and had told me every night since that she is afraid she is going to have a nightmare about it (she hasn't, but it is definitely on her mind!)

Horrible Bosses - It was okay. The actors did a very good job. I thought it was raunchier than The Hangover, which is not good for me but my teen sons found it hilarious. I thought it was not great, but it had a few funny moments. My one other comment is that for some reason I am always mixing up Jason Sudeikis and Ed Helms. I'm not sure why because they don't look that much alike. It may just be one of those inexplicable mix-ups I will always be stuck with. I also have always mixed up Dustin Hoffman and Richard Dreyfuss.

+ Reply to Thread