+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 154 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117 ... LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Something Borrowed is also ready to ship, though first I have to get through the remaining Anne of Green Gables sagas. Believe it or not, this is my first viewing and kleenex came in handy.
    I hope you come back with your thoughts on Something Borrowed. I'm curious to hear another opinion on that one.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Something Borrowed - One of the main actors was Colin Egglesfield. I am not familiar with him, but he looks strikingly like a young Tom Cruise. It was a little distracting! This movie started out with potential, but I ended up not liking it much. Most of the characters were not very likable by the end, and most of them were also left with no resolution to their story lines. At one point I thought the movie might take and interesting twist, but then it didn't so I was even more frustrated. I will put my specific issues in spoilers because it will definitely give away the ending:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    • Kate Hudson's character was a pain with no redeeming qualities.
    • When Gennifer Goodwin's character FINALLY got enough backbone to tell Colin Egglesfield that she loved him, the loser turned her down in favor of living the sham of a life that his father wanted him to pursue. It was never that clear to me WHY his parents liked Kate Hudson's character so much in the first place? Was she from a wealthy family? Did his dad just not want him to change his mind at the last minute? It felt like there was information missing here. The bottom line was that this guy clearly has no spine and she was better off without him.
    • So then John Krasinski's character admits his love for Gennifer Goodwin's character. This gets COMPLETELY left unresolved. Do they remain friends? Does he eventually find someone?
    • At the end when Gennifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson run into each other where does this go? Kate Hudson is almost too insistent that she is happy. Is she really? Is she still with that weirdo cousin who is the father of her baby? How much time has even passed, because she didn't seem very far into her pregnancy?
    • After the run-in with Kate Hudson I'm thinking that *maybe* they will surprise us and we will find out that Gennifer Goodwin actually ditched the loser and chose all-around-nice-guy-and-best-friend John Krasinski, but low-and-behold she went with spineless Colin Egglesfield. Booooo Hissss.

Thor - Enjoyable with good special effects. My only real complaint was the ending, which was a setup for a sequel. I nearly always dislike endings that are setups for the next film - just let the movie stand on its own!
    I agree with the spoiler information. It definitely was NOT the romantic screwball comedy I was hoping for...dulled down like most of Jennifer Aniston's movies of late; dare I say mopey? Thumb down on resolution; sideways on potential.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I agree with the spoiler information. It definitely was NOT the romantic screwball comedy I was hoping for...dulled down like most of Jennifer Aniston's movies of late; dare I say mopey? Thumb down on resolution; sideways on potential.
    Well I'm glad that it wasn't just me!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    [snip]

Thor - Enjoyable with good special effects. My only real complaint was the ending, which was a setup for a sequel. I nearly always dislike endings that are setups for the next film - just let the movie stand on its own!
    I loved THOR, but I can see where they are setting up for a sequel; a loose end that begs to be tied. I wanted to see more, so I guess they got their wish.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

CCL

What's Your Number with Anna Farriss and Chris Evans. It was good but I was expecting it to be laugh-out-loud funny and it really wasn't.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

50/50 - love it. This is cliche I know, but I laughed, I cried. In fact, I started weeping about halfway through and didn't stop until the end, even while I was laughing. And I know that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is going to win at least one Oscar before he eventually retires.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Everything Must Go - Dramedy with Will Ferrell as an alcoholic who is dealing with bad heaped on top of worse. He ends up living on his front lawn. It had potential, but I ended up bored.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    What's Your Number with Anna Farriss and Chris Evans. It was good but I was expecting it to be laugh-out-loud funny and it really wasn't.
    I'm a little bummed to hear this, the commercials looked really funny. Maybe I'll just wait for DVD...
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 10-03-2011 at 01:34 PM.

I loved THOR, but I can see where they are setting up for a sequel; a loose end that begs to be tied. I wanted to see more, so I guess they got their wish.
    I agree with you that it was obvious, but it was also public before Thor came out. They have been setting up The Avengers all along. Thor was introduced in Iron Man and Captain America was introduced in Thor. I believe the last of The Avengers is the Incredible Hulk (I would have to ask hubby for sure). So while I agree that the set up for the sequel was obvious - it was also well known that they are doing all of these films to lead up to The Avengers movie (which is currently being filmed).

Circo - A documentary about a small-time family run circus in Mexico. It was slow moving and rather depressing; I found myself bored and falling asleep. I was also left with a ton of questions. I expect open questions about things that happen after the film was completed, but there was a lot of stuff left hanging that I thought could have been dealt with during the span of the movie.

Leap Year -- cute, predictable, dragged out somewhat. I knew my husband would never want to watch this one with me, so when I found myself alone with a few hours to kill on Saturday, I watched it. I laughed out loud in a few places so it was worth it.
    Don't let the small things sweat

+ Reply to Thread