+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 160 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116 ... LastLast
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Went to see Our Idiot Brother and absolutely loved it. It was charming and funny and Paul Rudd was, as always, completely delightful.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Limitless - I enjoyed this film. It was fun, and nicely paced although there were some rather predictable plot twists. Bradley Cooper did a good job in the main role - I usually find him fun to watch. I also liked the ending, which is always a plus for me!

Prom - Disney movie that my young daughter wanted to see. It was completely predictable, which was pretty much expected. I didn't like it. Maybe I'm just cynical, but the whole "prom is a time when people come together and cross the cliquey boundaries of high school" was too nicey-nice and unrealistic. The only redeeming background story was the girl who dumped her boyfriend right before prom and went to the dance by herself - she struck me as a tough cookie! However, it was so far in the background that it could have been easily overlooked. And the guy she dumped (who was more in the forefront of the film) looked like he was a senior in college. He was WAY too old for the role and it came off as creepy.
    JavaJo likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I saw Contagion today. It is a multi-storyline plot, much like Soderbergh's Traffic, but there was one particular thread (the one involving Marion Cotillard's character) that seemed awkwardly placed and paced. Matt Damon is wonderful in it and I was kicking myself for not recognizing Jennifer Ehle, given how many times I've seen the Ehle/Firth Pride and Prejudice.

Pearl Harbor was on tv today. I started watching it and realized they were cutting a lot of scenes, so I dug out my DVD and watched that. That movie breaks my heart every time I watch it. So, after that and the 9/11 tributes I watched today...my face is a puffy, red mess.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Your Highness - My teenage sons both thought it was really funny. I thought it was stupid, stupid, and yet more stupid. I fell asleep about halfway through. One of my boys is encouraging me to finish it because he says it "got better" right after I stopped watching. I am skeptical, and have not yet decided if I will risk wasting another 45 minutes of my time on it.

Well I went back and finished watching Your Highness. As I expected, the second half was just as bad as the first half. This was definitely humor aimed at older teen and young adult males. IMO, low brow humor doesn't become funny simply because you stick it in the middle ages.

Season of the Witch - This one was not as bad as I expected it to be. The premise is that a knight in The Crusades becomes disillusioned with the cause and leaves the service of the church. However, he is pulled back in for a mission to deliver an accused witch to a higher order of monks for trial. The story was interesting, and the majority of the special effects were quite good. However, overall it fell flat for me. My two biggest complaints: (1) I don't always mind when current language is applied to movies in old settings, but the thing that annoyed me about this movie was that they couldn't decide if they wanted to use current language or period language so it ended up a weird hodge-podge. (2) When they wanted the viewer to get a point, there were places where they lingered on it for too long. For example, at the beginning they showed a series of battles that were labeled as covering a long period of time. They clearly wanted us to get the point that these knights had been serving in The Crusades for a long time and were very dedicated. However, making this point felt like it was taking forevvvver in the film. I was just thinking "Yes I get it, let's move on now!"

Attack the Block

Think about all the alien invasion movies lately. Transformers 3, Battle Los Angeles, Skyline, Cowboys & Aliens, the upcoming Battleship movie, also an upcoming one titled The Darkest Hour. Unlike all those movies, Attack the Block is quite low-budget, and instead of being a huge invasion, it's actually quite small scale, being just one neighborhood. And this movie is easily the best out of all those alien invasion flicks. It's gotten rave reviews everywhere, and well deserved.

The movie takes place in South London, focusing on a gang of teenage hoodlums in their neighborhood (the "block" being their apartment building) who have to survive a sudden invasion from the coolest and most original aliens I have seen in ages. The aliens don't have ships and are not technologically advanced, they are just animals going on instinct. There is an assortment of characters, all very well acted, especially since most of these actors are first timers (Simon Pegg's buddy Nick Frost does makes a cameo), and the movie is quite short but moves fast and is never boring.

I got lucky in obtaining an original copy of the film, because it has been released in very, very few theaters in the U.S. I do believe it will be available on DVD, though, so once it is, I fully recommend it to you. It's easily my favorite movie in ages, definitely my favorite of the year.

Something Borrowed - One of the main actors was Colin Egglesfield. I am not familiar with him, but he looks strikingly like a young Tom Cruise. It was a little distracting! This movie started out with potential, but I ended up not liking it much. Most of the characters were not very likable by the end, and most of them were also left with no resolution to their story lines. At one point I thought the movie might take and interesting twist, but then it didn't so I was even more frustrated. I will put my specific issues in spoilers because it will definitely give away the ending:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    • Kate Hudson's character was a pain with no redeeming qualities.
    • When Gennifer Goodwin's character FINALLY got enough backbone to tell Colin Egglesfield that she loved him, the loser turned her down in favor of living the sham of a life that his father wanted him to pursue. It was never that clear to me WHY his parents liked Kate Hudson's character so much in the first place? Was she from a wealthy family? Did his dad just not want him to change his mind at the last minute? It felt like there was information missing here. The bottom line was that this guy clearly has no spine and she was better off without him.
    • So then John Krasinski's character admits his love for Gennifer Goodwin's character. This gets COMPLETELY left unresolved. Do they remain friends? Does he eventually find someone?
    • At the end when Gennifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson run into each other where does this go? Kate Hudson is almost too insistent that she is happy. Is she really? Is she still with that weirdo cousin who is the father of her baby? How much time has even passed, because she didn't seem very far into her pregnancy?
    • After the run-in with Kate Hudson I'm thinking that *maybe* they will surprise us and we will find out that Gennifer Goodwin actually ditched the loser and chose all-around-nice-guy-and-best-friend John Krasinski, but low-and-behold she went with spineless Colin Egglesfield. Booooo Hissss.

Thor - Enjoyable with good special effects. My only real complaint was the ending, which was a setup for a sequel. I nearly always dislike endings that are setups for the next film - just let the movie stand on its own!

I just placed Attack the Block in my queue as a SAVE at Netflix - waiting for the DVD release.

Thor will arrive next week in my mailbox and I'm looking forward to it.

Something Borrowed is also ready to ship, though first I have to get through the remaining Anne of Green Gables sagas. Believe it or not, this is my first viewing and kleenex came in handy.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Watched a couple of older British movies because I neglected to get my Netflix queue updated in a timely manner last week.

Keeping Mum - This was the black comedy version of Mary Poppins. Starred Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean), Kristin Scott Thomas, Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter), and (strangely) Patrick Swayze! It was a good movie and had a couple of twists that I did not anticipate.

Notes on a Scandal - Judi Dench and Cate Blanchett. I rented this movie years ago and never got around to watching it because I just wasn't in the mood. However, I had heard so many good things about it that I wanted to revisit it. It was not a fast-paced movie, more of a character study. It was very well acted and I did not fully anticipate the "angle" of Judi Dench's character.

+ Reply to Thread