+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Just watched Grown-ups (with Adam Sandler and the whole SNL/Happy Madison group) and Ramona & Beezus tonight. Family movie night with popcorn. Ramona & Beezus first, then Grown-ups when the kids went to bed. Liked both. Ramona and Beezus was a very cute movie, the little girl who played Ramona is adorable and has amazing facial expressions at such a young age. Grown-ups was hilarious, a definite feel-good movie with actors who aren't 19 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;4110443;
    Just watched Grown-ups (with Adam Sandler and the whole SNL/Happy Madison group) and Ramona & Beezus tonight.
    Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't realize Ramona & Beezus was out on DVD. I'm going to go make sure it is on my Netflix queue!

These are the movies I watched over the weekend...

The Green Mile - Wow, what took me so long to watch this movie!! I had heard it was good before, but never bothered to pick it up. One of my kids just read the book in school and encouraged me to rent the movie and I'm glad he did! This was an outstanding film!!

The Last Airbender - I went into this movie with low expectations due to all the bad reviews I have read. The special effects and scenery were beautiful. The huge downfall of this film is the TERRIBLE script. M. Night Shyamalan should NOT be allowed to write ever again. My other more minor complaints are that the special effects seemed really slow most of the time and I thought it was strange that they changed the way some of the characters names are pronounced. I don't watch the TV show, but my kids do so even I know the main character's name (Aang) is pronounced with a long A and not like "Ah-ng". My kids were significantly annoyed by the changes in the storyline between the show and the movie.

Predators - Better than I expected. There were some good actors, a twist I didn't see coming, and it kept me entertained.

Went to see Love and Other Drugs. One hour and twenty minutes into it the projector sound went off. We had to leave with a refund. If anyone has seen the end, I sure would like to know what happens. We sat for about ten minutes with very low sound but we were at the part where Jake (the actor) was trying to tell the lead he loved her.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just watched the "Muppets Christmas Carol" for the first time. Loved it! I must have watched 8 different versions of "Christmas Carol" last year, but had never seen the Muppet version before. I was really impressed.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - Overall not as bad as I had feared. It definitely did lose the "campy" feel of the original series. I think that this was mostly due to the way they changed Freddie's "creation story". If I remember correctly the original Freddy had killed some children and the neighborhood parents went after him because they feared for the safety of their own children. Then Freddy comes back to take revenge by going after the kids of the people who killed him. In this movie he was abusing children and they hinted very strongly that he was a pedophile, was then killed by the parents of the kids he was abusing, then comes back to go after the same kids he abused in the first place. This slant made the new Freddie seriously skeevy. The old Freddie was always making innuendos that came of as part of the "camp" in the film, but when this Freddie said the same kind of thing it was just disgusting considering what he had done to these teens when they were very young.

The Importance of Being Earnest - Funny film adaptation of the Oscar Wilde novel. Featured Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, Reese Witherspoon, and Judi Dench. It has some odd, over-the-top moments, but overall it was quite enjoyable.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - Weird. The acting was good, the premise was interesting, and the special effects were very well done. However, it still didn't completely draw me in - by the end I was waiting for it to be over.

Just watched THE BOX with Cameron Diaz last night. The movie was from 2009 but I don't remember ever seeing it promoted. I really enjoyed the movie and found it very thought provoking. I think it is the type of movie that a group of people could have a discussion about for hours. Although it is dark in nature, it has so many layers and the only drawback is I think it leaves you with more questions than answers ... but then again I think that is what it intended to do.
    Choices are the hinges of destiny.

"The Book Of Eli". It was the same genre as "The Road". Makes you think what if...?

FORT Fogey

The original, un-colorized version of Miracle on Thirty-fourth Street

I recorded a bunch of movies on my DVR from the extended cable channels that I have over the summer, planning to watch them as soon as possible. But they've just been sitting there for months. Now, I'm attempting to clean out my DVR. The movies I've seen so far are:

A League of Their Own: Good, solid movie. It started out slow, but it picked up once the tryouts for the league started. My favorite aspect of the movie is that it's based on a real-life event, one of which I was unaware about before.

Daffy Duck's Fantastic Island: Uh, why did I record this movie again? I really didn't like it at all.

My Cousin Vinny: Loved this film! Marisa Tomei and Joe Pesci were fantastic. It was completely frustrating at times, but I continued watching and ended up loving it. It's still on my DVR for me to watch in the future.

HouseSitter: Loved this one also, and it's also still sitting in my DVR. Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn were great together and had lots of on-screen chemistry. As completely farfetched the storyline was, it was made sort of believable by their performances.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

We watched last week, not today, but here is my most recent viewing marathon:

Coopers' Christmas (formerly known as Coopers' Camera) - written by and starring Jason Jones of the Daily Show, along with Samantha Bee and Mike Beaver. Loved it, for which I am deeply grateful since I had been actively searching for the DVD for over a year. It is now my favourite Christmas movie. Very funny, sharp edged and not at all sentimental, just the way the holidays should be.

The Trotsky - starring Jay Baruchel, of whom I am a great fan. Very funny and smart, about a teenage boy who believes he is the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky and his attempts to unionize his school.

Kick Ass - one of the better superhero movies I have seen, and that little girl is probably the best fighter in her weight range I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing .

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - odd movie, but I really enjoyed it, and I am one of the few people on the planet who actually likes Michael Cera. I didn't care for the end too much though - the grand guignol denouement went on for far too long and if I had been alone in the room, I would have fast forwarded through the final fight. Overall quite entertaining, though.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread