+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 155 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast
Like Tree213Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Fort Member

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Scott Pilgrim V The World saw it last night and have to say it is the best movie I have seen in a very long time. Original entertaining and my mind did not wander off once

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;4046908;
    I remember seeing The Devils! Parts of it were so hard to watch. I haven't seen it in years but now I'll try to get it. I always loved Oliver Reed even though he played a lot of bad guys! He was kind of ugly/ sexy, a little like Javier Bardem (although he's mostly sexy)!
    It was hard to watch this time, too!!
    The acting was just terrific. Both Vanessa and Oliver were just amazing.

Warner Bros. was supposed to release it on DVD in 2008, but it never did. It's only available in VHS and not that easy to get in that format, either.

Someone in the audience asked Mr. Russell about how he was able to direct the scene where Ms. Redgrave was exorcised. That had to be one of the most difficult scenes ever to film.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The Losers - It was an okay action movie. There were a number of places where the plot defied logic. The overall premise has too many parallels with the A-Team (except they don't help people). Group of military guys is betrayed by someone above them and they have to go on the run, they have a leader, a tough guy, a slightly whacky guy, etc.

The highlights for me were Jason Patric as the evil bad guy, and Óscar Jaenada and Chris Evans as two of "the losers" (the sharpshooter and slightly whacky guy).

Just watched a portion of Dirty Dancing. I have never been able to sit through an entire showing because, good golly miss molly, that is one lousy piece of film making. And sorry to his legion of fans, but Patrick Swayze probably has the least acting ability of any A-list star in the history of Hollywood movies. So why do I make these painful sojourns into the world of Baby and Johnny, you ask? It's my deep and abiding love of Jerry Orbach. If I'm flipping my away around the dial and I see his wry countenance gazing at me from the depths of anything, I'm stopping and watching for at least 15 minutes, no matter how atrocious the work. And Dirty Dancing is pretty much the most atrocious thing he's been in.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Nanny Mcphee - Saw this today with my 11 year old sister and it was adorable. She had read the book and loved it. She loved the movie as well. Very funny with many good lessons for kids and parents. Will most likely wait to see the sequel when it's out of the theater.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4050606;
    Just watched a portion of Dirty Dancing. I have never been able to sit through an entire showing because, good golly miss molly, that is one lousy piece of film making.
    I have very fond memories of this movie and I think it will probably always be one of my favorites. It just gives me warm fuzzies. No one puts Baby in a corner!!

I watched Dorian Gray over the weekend. I was disappointed that this film was never released in theaters and I was looking forward to watching it after reading the original story last fall. What a disappointment. While the acting was good, the adaptation of the story was not. There was a lot of gratuitous nudity, the special effects used on the picture were completely unnecessary, and then they threw in a major character at the end who didn't even exist in the original story. I expected changes from the original given that the book gives a good basis for a movie, but is rather slow and would need some adaptation to keep a film audience interested. However, the people who came up with this film should have adhered more to the old adage "less is more".
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 08-30-2010 at 04:07 PM.

CCL

I saw Dorian Gray while on vacation (to escape the rain) and, I agree, it sucked. It was dry in the theatre at least, so that was a plus.

Nanny McPhee
    - was it the new one? Or the one that came out a couple of years ago? I saw the first one which I quite liked but I don't really like Maggie Gyllenhall (who is in the second) so I'm not sure about the new one...

Jerry Orbach rocks.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4051954;
    Nanny McPhee [/B]- was it the new one? Or the one that came out a couple of years ago? I saw the first one which I quite liked but I don't really like Maggie Gyllenhall (who is in the second) so I'm not sure about the new one...
    In her post RealityChick said "Will most likely wait to see the sequel when it's out of the theater.", so I am assuming she just watched the first one!

CCL

D'oh! Thanks ClosetRTWatcher.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4051948;
    I have very fond memories of this movie and I think it will probably always be one of my favorites. It just gives me warm fuzzies. No one puts Baby in a corner!!

I watched Dorian Gray over the weekend. I was disappointed that this film was never released in theaters and I was looking forward to watching it after reading the original story last fall. What a disappointment. While the acting was good, the adaptation of the story was not. There was a lot of gratuitous nudity, the special effects used on the picture were completely unnecessary, and then they threw in a major character at the end who didn't even exist in the original story. I expected changes from the original given that the book gives a good basis for a movie, but is rather slow and would need some adaptation to keep a film audience interested. However, the people who came up with this film should have adhered more to the old adage "less is more".
    ITA with you on Dirty Dancing.
    Total feel good movie.

If you get a chance, see the original Portrait of Dorian Gray.
    It was made a long time ago and Angela Lansbury was a young woman in the movie. Dorian Gray is played by an English actor named Hurd Hatfield. It's on a par with the original Oscar Wilde story. Just wonderful!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread