+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 167 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898148 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

CCL

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

^ Agree about The Ugly Truth.

Watched Clash of the Titans over the weekend (the 2010 version). It was all right though rather hokey in parts. Nicholas Hoult was looking fine (he's grown up well since About a Boy!) and Gemma Aterton is very pretty. I'm sure I've spelled those names wrong. I heard there might be a sequel but I don't recall it doing that well at the box office.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

The Wolfman - I didn't like it. I did think the acting was good. I was interested when I heard that it was filmed kind of like a "classic" horror movie. I think my biggest problem was that it was filmed with cheesy "old school" special effects, but has no sense of humor about it. Also, they has computer generated animals that were unrealistic and completely unnecessary.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - It was good, but I expected to like this film more than I did. I was left with the old "the book was better" feeling. My biggest problem with the film was that I felt it changed some fundamental aspects of the characters in the books that I suspect will carry into the following films. I putting the details in spoiler tags for people who don't want to know:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    - There was no explanation of Erica Berger and how important she is in Mikael's life. I don't even think they mentioned her by name.
    - There were NO relationships for Mikael in this film other than his relationship with Lisbeth. I thought this was an odd choice since hopping from woman to woman is a fundamental characteristic of his personality.
    - By the end of the first book Lisbeth and Mikael are quite close and she is about to confess her feelings when she runs into him with Erika, and hardens her feelings against him. This sets up for her blocking him out of her life as the story progresses into the next book. There was no set up for this at all.
    - Unless I am remembering this incorrectly, when Martin Vanger dies in the book he commits suicide by intentionally driving into the oncoming semi. In the film they have him accidentally run off the road and them implicate Lisbeth in his death by her inaction. I did not care for this turn that tried to make her to blame.
    - I think they changed the order of events in the investigation quite a bit. This part didn't bother me too much because it has been a couple of months since I read the book so I couldn't remember exactly what the sequence was supposed to be!!

I just saw a wonderful movie entitled "An Education." I really enjoyed it. It is set in England and stars Peter Sarsgaard, Carey Mulligan and Emma Thompson. I can't say enough good things about it. It was set in the 1960's. I think it was nominated for a couple of Oscars and Golden Globes. Here's a link for the trailer:

YouTube - An Education Official Trailer
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-12-2010 at 01:59 PM.

I finally saw Up in the Air. Clooney was just great, as I expected him to be. But, boy, it was a pretty depressing movie, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

We went to see The Expendables last night. Great guilty pleasure. It really is an '80's old-school action film, and the ensemble cast was fun to watch. It's really a shame that Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van Damme said no to Stallone (no Vin Diesel, either, but I don't know if he wasn't asked or if he declined). My only complaint was that there was not enough Dolph Lundgren - I think some of his scenes might have ended up on the editing floor. The real stars of the movie are Stallone and Jason Statham, which isn't a bad thing...just wish that all the guys had a little more screen time.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My Life in Ruins... that was a great movie and funny too

Our Family Wedding - Meh. It was just okay. One more Romeo & Juliet-esque families dislike each other boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back kinda movie.

The Book of Eli - This was an excellent movie! Definitely violent, but it was in context. Very well done with a great ending that makes you think.

Kick-Ass - I found this movie very enjoyable and not quite what I expected. Not for people who don't like over-the-top stylized violence. I talked with someone who had a small problem with the younger girl's language, but surprisingly it didn't bother me at all. It was nowhere near Role Models territory IMO. My older-teen sons thought it was awesome!

The Last Song - Not. Good. It seemed like the story had potential, but it was soooo sped up for the movie that I just wasn't buying into the relationships. The dad and little brother were good, but this movie just confirmed that Miley Cyrus just isn't a very good actress.

I haven't read the book, but I would consider it. The story looks like it could be cute with some real character development.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 08-21-2010 at 02:25 AM.

A local movie theatre dedicated to cinemaphiles showed 2 Ken Russell films last night - The Devils and Altered States. In between, the director, Mr. Russell, had a Q and A with the audience.
    The Devils, if you've never seen it, is quite an amazing film based on the true story of Loudin France circa 1600's. It focuses on a priest, played by Oliver Reed and a Mother Superior , played by Vanessa Redgrave.
    If you ever get to see it, do keep in mind there are some scenes that haven't lost their wallop even after almost 40 years.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4044835;
    A local movie theatre dedicated to cinemaphiles showed 2 Ken Russell films last night - The Devils and Altered States. In between, the director, Mr. Russell, had a Q and A with the audience.
    The Devils, if you've never seen it, is quite an amazing film based on the true story of Loudin France circa 1600's. It focuses on a priest, played by Oliver Reed and a Mother Superior , played by Vanessa Redgrave.
    If you ever get to see it, do keep in mind there are some scenes that haven't lost their wallop even after almost 40 years.
    I remember seeing The Devils! Parts of it were so hard to watch. I haven't seen it in years but now I'll try to get it. I always loved Oliver Reed even though he played a lot of bad guys! He was kind of ugly/ sexy, a little like Javier Bardem (although he's mostly sexy)!

+ Reply to Thread