+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 249 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595145 ... LastLast
Like Tree861Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I was one of those people in fancy dress and heels
    Not because I'm some rabid fan of the show mind you.
    The theater owner gave his wife a bunch of fancy passes to a semi private showing of the movie
    and every woman who got a pass was able to bring 1 "date". I was someone's date.
    All of the women dressed up together for fun.

I thought the movie had some very good parts, but it was too long.
    Many pieces could have made it to the cutting room floor and it would have been better for it.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Brandy

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3916948;
    However, we noticed that people showing up for the following time were really dressed up. Very high heels and nice dresses - I have to admit that I don't get that. Even if I was a huge fan, I want to be comfortable when I watch a movie...
    I think it's half 'going in character' and half dressing up as if it is 'an event.' Sort of a cross between Rocky Horror and a Broadway play.

I saw SATC 2 on Friday night - I went in expecting it to be terrible, it wasn't as bad as i thought, it was predictable and far too long - but I loved the final scene and I hope they dont' do anymore movies. the show was about 30 somethings with a 40 something - it's clear they are no longer 30 somethings.

Loved Charlotte and Miranda's bar talk......

Not enough Aiden or Mr. Big, and it was just weird that Carrie called him John.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Brandy

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3918442;
    ...I hope they dont' do anymore movies. the show was about 30 somethings with a 40 something - it's clear they are no longer 30 somethings.
    I don't mind it at this point, and I do cheer them on if they do two more films as planned. There are far too few roles or films available for actresses 35 and older. But, at what point does it become less SATC and more Golden Girls? If they do two more films, they should either churn them out quickly, or adapt the series to reflect the fact they are all aging (the men too.)

for me it's more about how the movies are really nothing about what the series was about - granted this movie was better at showing the relationships between the girls than the first one, but the evolution of Carrie and the non-evolution of Samantha made the movie tired.

If these gals have churn out these movies to create work for themselves then so be it, but i wont' watch anymore. Other than Cynthia Nixon (that I'm aware of) the ladies all had successful careers beforehand.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Brandy

Cynthia Nixon was a child actor and didn't do badly, although she wasn't the lead in huge films. Well, if you saw Little Darlings and Manhattan Project you saw Cynthia Nixon (she was blond then.)

I went with the kids to see The Karate Kid. I was an enjoyable film. Jaden Smith is a cute kid and Jackie Chan is always fun to watch. The scenery in China was beautifully filmed. It was a surprising 2 hours and 20 minutes long, so my youngest did start to get restless by the end, but considering she's only 5 it held her attention for a good amount of time!!

At the end my older son and sister-in-law were both talking about how good it was and I had to think about it for a while before I realized why I didn't seem to have the same highly favorable review. The difference is that I was the only one in the group who is old enough to have seen the original film when it came out. This movie is basically the same story in a different setting with different actors. A couple of minor tweaks to the story, but there was nothing that I didn't anticipate based on the original. It would have been nice to be surprised somewhere along the way.

Last night we had a power outage, but for some reason last week, for the first time ever, I charged the battery on my portable DVD player after owning it for nearly three years. So I grabbed the first movie filed in my disc boxes (I have 400 movies and close to 500 discs of various television series') and it turned out to be Airheads. Yes, yes, stupid I know, but probably a better choice than trying to watch Hotel Rwanda on a 7" screen, listening on the world's crappiest speakers, and sweating like a racehorse but we couldn't turn the fan on.

At any rate, I'm going to make a point of keeping the thing charged.
    And so it begins, the end of times..

Saw Precious a couple of days ago.
    Probably 1 of the best movies to come out in a very long time.
    All the performances are incredible. Mariah Carey actually sounded like my cousin's wife - they live in NJ.
    Monique totally deserved her Oscar.
    I actually felt uplifted by the movie by the end. Though I will warn you, it is incredibly realistic and therefore it is pretty raw and brutal.
    Nevertheless, the movie deserves every plaudit it received.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

PWS
    FORT Fogey

We saw Knight and Day last night... not worth starting a thread for. Good for mindless summer fluff, but really nothing else. Amusing thread in it where people are in dire straits and someone drugs them and they wake up saved with no idea how it happened... I guess that saved the writers and directors some creativity time!
    Tom Cruise is still cute (yes, probablby also psycho, but I'm being shallow here!); Cameron Diaz somehow looking as if she is being filmed in HD much of the film....not that she is wrinkled but her skin looks old somehow. She's otherwise still good looking so it's kind of odd. Not much chemistry between them although they tried, and some funny moments.
    The theater was practically empty on its first weekend for a 7:50 Sunday show...not a good sign!

+ Reply to Thread