+ Reply to Thread
Page 287 of 288 FirstFirst ... 187237277278279280281282283284285286287288 LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,870 of 2877
Like Tree1219Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

per Google:

Kong: Skull Island

2017 ‧ Fantasy/Science fiction film ‧ 2 hours

Scientists, soldiers and adventurers unite to explore a mythical, uncharted island in the Pacific Ocean. Cut off from everything they know, they venture into the domain of the mighty Kong, igniting the ultimate battle between man and nature. As their mission of discovery soon becomes one of survival, they must fight to escape from a primal world where humanity does not belong.

Initial release: February 28, 2017 (London)
    Director: Jordan Vogt-Roberts
    Box office: 566.7 million USD
    Budget: 185 million USD
    Music composed by: Henry Jackman
    Luv'ed it. Normally I don't like the King Kong type films and reboots and absolutely did not want to see this. This was a very good/great film. I must admit at first the biggest hurdle I had with this film was Tom Hiddleston playing anything besides lanky Lori of Asgard. Every time I saw Hiddleston's character, Captain James Conrad, I kept thinking, ooooo, he has bulked up, he is trying to be a bad ass soldier, this simply is not going to work. The end of the Vietnam War was a perfect setting for this film as was the music. Who ever did the set design especially of the story of the island and Kong deserves an Oscar, that temple inside the ship's hull was amazing. Native islander makeup was good too.

Good fun film. Can watch with the kiddies. Well, not the really young kiddies.
    waywyrd likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

This is in my DVD queue. I wasn't keen on it, either, but, now, I'll look forward to it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    This is in my DVD queue. I wasn't keen on it, either, but, now, I'll look forward to it.
    I was pleasantly surprised with this film and hope you enjoy it.
    No goat killers on my island.

I agree Kong: Skull Island is a lot of fun.

Recently I've watched Suicide Squad which was a big fat mess and Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them which was sort of meh for me. It looked cool but I couldn't stand Eddie Redmayne's mumbling.

I'm jealous of anyone who's gotten to see The Shape of Water. The trailers alone were enthralling.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    We really enjoyed that movie but we love King/Godzilla movies, except for the last Godzilla.... blech. Pacific Rim is tons better. And I thought Kong is going to show up at some point.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Creep 2.
    My head is full of fire and grief and my tongue runs wild, pierced with shards of glass~ Federico García Lorca

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKay View Post
    Table 19- sweet movie about people at "thrown together" table at a wedding...Anna Kendrick, Lisa Kudrow, Craig Robertson are in it. I liked it!
    This is one I really wanted to see, but didn't realize it was on cable already! I watched it yesterday and then a second time today. LOVED it! I guess I've been watching too many cheesy movies on the Hallmark channel, so this was a nice change, especially since it wasn't predictable. Just a fun, quirky indie, which I always love.

I spent the whole movie wondering why the actor who played Teddy looked so darned familiar. Then I see his name - Wyatt Russell - in the credits! He looks so much like his dad!

I guess I'm a dissenting opinion. I thought Skull Island was a snore.

This past weekend, I watched Our Souls at Night on Netflix. This was the Jane Fonda/Robert Redford reunion project. Just a sweet, quiet little film. I really enjoyed it.
    AmyKay likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Watched Skull Island and kept thinking of the new Jumanji, though I haven't seen that yet. I FF through all the oppressive jungle scenes; then I cried when Kong took his own life in order to spare the girl from the planes strafing the Empire State Building. I kept expecting Snoopy to be flying one of the planes. The movie was okay, but too much Jack Black in similar movies.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Over the weekend I saw I, Tonya and The Post.

I loved the way that in I, Tonya they managed to acknowledge all the things that made Tonya Harding's story a spectacle, but at the same time managed to show the compassion of reminding people she's a human being who lived through all of it. I think that Margot Robbie hit exactly the right note which was not easy to do. And Allison Janney truly owned every scene that she was a part of.

With The Post, I think it's getting a bit over-acclaimed because of the Spielberg / Hanks / Streep teaming. I'm glad the story is being told, but to me, the angle of the story getting the least attention was the most powerful and that is the reality of a woman in such a high power job. Sarah Paulson gives a great speech about people believing a woman shouldn't be heard let alone the publisher of a newspaper, but Kay Graham had to figure out how to be heard anyway. For me, it was the highlight of the movie.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

I'm going to have to look up the timing between the Pentagon Papers and the reporting on all the president's men as both took place during the Nixon administration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon_Papers

The papers were released by Daniel Ellsberg, who had worked on the study; they were first brought to the attention of the public on the front page of The New York Times in 1971.[1][2] A 1996 article in The New York Times said that the Pentagon Papers had demonstrated, among other things, that the Johnson Administration "systematically lied, not only to the public but also to Congress".[
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ha! The Plumbers of Watergate breakin fame were involved with spying on Ellsberg. It was all bad and all fascinating over a two year period of the Nixon era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Plumbers

The Plumbers' first task was the burglary of the office of Daniel Ellsberg's Los Angeles psychiatrist, Lewis J. Fielding, in an effort to uncover evidence to discredit Ellsberg, who had leaked the Pentagon Papers. The operation was reportedly unsuccessful in finding Ellsberg's file and was so reported to the White House. However, Fielding himself stated the file was in his office; he found it on the floor on the morning after the burglary and quite clearly, someone had gone through it.[5] In a September 1971 conversation, John Ehrlichman advised Nixon, “We had one little operation; it’s been aborted out in Los Angeles which, I think, is better that you don’t know about." Eventually, the case against Ellsberg was dismissed due to government misconduct.

Aside from the Fielding burglary, there are few other activities the Plumbers were known to have been engaged in. Hunt reportedly looked into the Ted Kennedy-Chappaquiddick incident and Liddy reported purported Kennedy administration involvement in the assassination of South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem.[3]

After the California break-in, Liddy, who was general counsel, finance committee of the Committee to Re-elect the President (CRP) and promoted from aide to Krogh and Young, worked with Campaign political-intelligence operations. Ehrlichman, the Assistant to the President for Domestic Affairs and Special Investigations Unit, knew about Liddy’s goal to perform an intelligence-gathering operation for the Committee to Re-elect the President (CRP). Liddy involved Hunt in the operations which would later include the Watergate burglary.[6]

(This is really freaky, but the young man who is charged with killing Blaze Bernstein in OC, California is named Woodward. Woodward and Bernstein. *shiver*)
    Last edited by Arielflies; 01-16-2018 at 07:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread