+ Reply to Thread
Page 283 of 283 FirstFirst ... 183233273274275276277278279280281282283
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 2830
Like Tree1189Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I’ve seen Still Alice. It was well done but the book was much better. The book was great because it put you inside an Alzheimer’s mind. A film can’t do that in quite the same way but Julianne Moore was great.
    It was a good movie but is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to people with Alzheimers/Dementia. It gets worse.

I spent part of Thanksgiving watching Planes, Trains and Automobiles.... I forgot just how funny it is and was laughing out loud.
    Realitychick likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

We just saw "The Man Who Invented Christmas" . . . the story of how/why Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol." We found it delightful. I've always loved the book, and one of my favorite things on our last trip to London was spending time at Dickens' house. We see a live performance of "A Christmas Carol" every year, so much of the dialogue of the book/movie were quite recognizable.

Thumbs up from us!
    dagwood and libgirl2 like this.
    I'm Paula.

Is it on TV? I've seen it advertised.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Is it on TV? I've seen it advertised.
    No, it's a movie that's out now. Starring Dan Stevens (who played Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey). However, Christopher Plummer STEALS every scene he's in.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    I'm Paula.

FORT Fogey

When today to see Lady Bird. It was delightful!
    momrek06 likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    When today to see Lady Bird. It was delightful!
    Did you see this, Acooker........... https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...ay-about-that/

My son and dil saw it last week and LOVED it.

I need to see it!

SR is hosting SNL tonight!
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Did you see this, Acooker........... https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...ay-about-that/

My son and dil saw it last week and LOVED it.

I need to see it!

SR is hosting SNL tonight!
    Yes! That record was what made me hurry out to see it. I have a friend who goes to the telluride film festival each year, and she’d told me it was worth seeing. But when I heard about how positive it was reviewed and the rotten tomatoes score, it made me jealous of the people who had seen it already and I had to fix that!
    momrek06 likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We just saw "The Man Who Invented Christmas" . . . the story of how/why Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol." We found it delightful. I've always loved the book, and one of my favorite things on our last trip to London was spending time at Dickens' house. We see a live performance of "A Christmas Carol" every year, so much of the dialogue of the book/movie were quite recognizable.

Thumbs up from us!
    I so want to see this movie. I am a huge Christmas Carol fan. No matter the version. Glad you liked it.
    AZChristian likes this.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Wonder - This is a lovely heartwarming movie that is sweet but not schmaltzy. I took my 8 year old to see it this weekend and she really liked it (they read the book in class) and I pretty much cried throughout (because I'm a big softie - shhhh) The cast is great and I never felt that the film was trying to hard to sell the message. It just is a sweet, simple film with lots of useful messages for young people of all ages. I think elementary, middle and even high school kids can benefit from the themes presented in a very gentle way in this movie.

Dinner for Schmucks - Okay - how is it that I always passed over this movie and never heard about how funny it is?!?!?! Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd are great together and the rest of the big name ensemble cast just nails all of it. My DH and I laughed out loud a lot. Plus Jemaine Clement is always an added bonus in pretty much anything.

I recommend both these movies.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

per Google:

Deepwater Horizon

PG-13 2016 ‧ Thriller/Drama ‧ 1h 47m
    Play trailer on YouTube

On April 20, 2010, the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig explodes in the Gulf of Mexico, igniting a massive fireball that kills several crew members. Chief electronics technician Mike Williams (Mark Wahlberg) and his colleagues find themselves fighting for survival as the heat and the flames become stifling and overwhelming. Banding together, the co-workers must use their wits to make it out alive amid all the chaos.

Initial release: September 28, 2016 (Indonesia)
    Director: Peter Berg
    Box office: 121.8 million USD
    Budget: : $156 million (gross); $110–120 million (net);
    Wanted to like it. Impressed with the machinery. Amazing what humans can build. Shots of 3000 ft pipe going up inside another pipe is not exciting and it is hard to figure out what is happening. This drilling was run by BP, TransOcean, and Halliburton, why is Halliburton never mentioned in this film? The oil spill damaged the ecosystem for miles along the Gulf of Mexico, and is still causing harm, as well as damaging tourism and yet that is barely mentioned in the film. As for the BP managers held responsible for the deaths on the Deepwater Horizon they basically got off with a slap on the wrist. The film leaves much unanswered. This left me not liking the film and wondered why I wasted my time and nothing about the attempt to shut down the spill was really touched on. Was this a vanity project for someone?
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

+ Reply to Thread