+ Reply to Thread
Page 281 of 282 FirstFirst ... 181231271272273274275276277278279280281282 LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,810 of 2814
Like Tree1174Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by JosephD View Post
    If anyone has seen Murder On The Orient Express, let me know how you liked it. It looks kind of interesting by the commercial, but I don't watch scary movies so if it's one of those then I think I'll pass.

Oh, the new remake with Johnny Depp.
    Saw the original many years ago and it was great. Not scary at all. Go see it!

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
    JosephD likes this.

Wonder Woman.

I loved the origin story (I always like origin stories) and how she grew and discovered herself despite being kept in the dark by her mother. Thumbs Up!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Fort Member
    where its beautiful one day perfect the next

The new Thor
    Put a New Zealand director with an Australian actor and shoot it at the Gold Coast and this is what you get
    Brilliance absolute comedy brilliance
    Loved every minute of it
    libgirl2, beerbelly and Arielflies like this.
    Happiness is an unexpected piece of chocolate!

How long until the DVD release? Can't wait...but I will continue to breathe.
    Lucynda likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

We just got back from seeing an EXCELLENT movie - "Goodbye, Christopher Robin." Part of the plot dealt with what fame did to the real life Christopher Robin, whose father (A. A. Milne) used him as a protagonist in his books about Winnie the Pooh. This was before the days of the internet and television. Even so, Christopher pretty much lost his entire sense of privacy and identity because people recognized him wherever he went. And then there were the interviews, photo-ops, etc. As I watched that, I thought - "Wow. These poor kids on reality shows don't stand a chance."

I will now envision reality show children's classmates bullying them for all eternity because of their fame.

Seriously, go see the movie.
    beerbelly and AcookerTV like this.
    I'm Paula.

per google:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
    2017 ‧ 1h 33m

In 1951, cancerous cells from Henrietta Lacks lead to breakthroughs that change the face of medicine forever. Aided by writer Rebecca Skloot, Deborah Lacks embarks on a quest to learn about the mother she never knew.

Release date: April 22, 2017 (USA)
    Director: George C. Wolfe
    Producer: Alan Ball
    Adapted from: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
    Nominations: Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Television Movie
    This was an HBO special. Wow, Who wasn't dysfunctional in the Lacks family. The main topic the taking of a biopsy and using the tissue and cells for research and not informing the family and not compensating the family when those cells have been used for so many cures and patents that have made people rich. There is also the underlying story of children being physically and sexually abused and how they survived and dealt with it without Dr. Phil, self help books, or therapists. I am not trying to be flippant, there is much that is hard to take in this film and I do think it glosses over much of the brutality done to institutionalized people who where experimented by doctors and the medical community.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

per Google:

La La Land
    PG-13 2016 ‧ Drama/Romance ‧ 2h 8m

Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) and Mia (Emma Stone) are drawn together by their common desire to do what they love. But as success mounts they are faced with decisions that begin to fray the fragile fabric of their love affair, and the dreams they worked so hard to maintain in each other threaten to rip them apart.

Release date: December 16, 2016 (USA)
    Director: Damien Chazelle
    Box office: 445.7 million USD
    From all the gushing reviews and all the Oscar nominations I was really expecting to be wowed by this film and unfortunately I was not. With all the training in dance the two main actors received I was shocked how badly they sang. Made Mama Mia look good. I didn't understand that at all. It was a nice nod to musicals, pursuing dreams and how hard that can be, I did like at the end of the film the two main characters did look at each other with love and kindness in their eyes.
    AcookerTV likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    per Google:

From all the gushing reviews and all the Oscar nominations I was really expecting to be wowed by this film and unfortunately I was not. With all the training in dance the two main actors received I was shocked how badly they sang. Made Mama Mia look good. I didn't understand that at all. It was a nice nod to musicals, pursuing dreams and how hard that can be, I did like at the end of the film the two main characters did look at each other with love and kindness in their eyes.
    I thought it was overrated as well. To me, it was just fine. I didn't mind the singing too much as long as they don't get any ideas they can make any albums. I think the hype was mostly due to the fact Hollywood can't resist a film that is a love letter to them. The one movie that didn't get near the attention it deserved (and was robbed still during the Best Picture flubbing by Warren Beatty) was Moonlight. Outstanding film.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephD View Post
    If anyone has seen Murder On The Orient Express, let me know how you liked it. It looks kind of interesting by the commercial, but I don't watch scary movies so if it's one of those then I think I'll pass.

I saw the new version, and it was good. It is not scary, but an old fashioned murder mystery. Kenneth Branaugh and his mustache stole the show. One weakness I can say is that while he is the clear star, all the other characters kind of fade to the point where they can run together and be replaced by any extra. The cast was excellent. The film was beautifully shot.
    JosephD likes this.

FORT Fogey

I watched Snowden over the weekend. It was eye opening. Definitely sympathetic to Snowden's story. The voice Joseph Gordon Levitt chose to use annoyed me, but it gave a lot to think about. And writing this is my reminder to myself to cover up the camera on my laptop as soon as i hit post!
    JosephD likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

+ Reply to Thread