+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1144Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think Russel Crowe fell into the same trap that many actors do - he's a GREAT character actor, tried to be a movie star, and fell flat. He can sell movies based on his ability to give a great performance, but I don't think he can sell them on his personality for the reasons you've listed - the Meg Ryan thing wasn't good for him, he's seen as a jerk and a drunk. That said, while I have not seen it, I've heard VERY positive things about Nice Guys. It sounds like he may be trying to fall back into the mode of going unnoticed in strong performances.
    ITA. I think though that he's maybe half jerk and half SUPER professional actor who doesn't suffer fools. He's said in interviews that he has issues with fellow actors not being prepared and that he feels he doesn't have the right to waste anyone's time by not showing up on time and prepared. I've read the same thing about Mandy Patinkin. They don't have patience for people who don't show up ready to work. Others - and probably these are the ones who DO show up prepared - have said both actors are great to work with. I guess it's perspective

The bummer for me about Russell Crowe is the choices he's made in recent years. He's made a long string of just TERRIBLE movies after making a good many that were excellent. I see him now making dumb movies and it makes me sad. It feels like wasted potential. I don't know if he's not being offered the great projects now (maybe he's pissed off too many great directors/producers?) or he's just got a bad "picker." It reminds me of Al Pacino (who's turned into a caricature) and De Niro (who seems to only do fluffy roles now). These were great actors and they aren't playing great roles anymore. It's a waste of talent, IMO.

I was a fan of RC from his Proof and Romper Stomper days and The Sum of Us is still one of my very favorite movies. I want him to get back to a point in his career where he's getting GOOD roles and doing Oscar-worthy work again. Right now, seeing him bloated and puffy and doing crappy action/comedy movies just makes me sad.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

Not today, but over the weekend I watched "Her" on HBO On Demand. Great movie, IMO! Starring Joaquin Phoenix & (the voice of) Scarlett Johansson. Both did an excellent job & the movie was really thought provoking. I highly recommend it. (I don't have HBO, but all last week, it was free from my cable provider, so I took full advantage.
    SpringMaiden27 and AcookerTV like this.
    I've been to the puppet show and seen the strings.

Logan
    libgirl2 and AcookerTV like this.
    “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Ghostbusters, the remake - so boring I turned it off before it ended. It felt like being in one of those classes that never ends. The cast was ok but so much wasted time. There was no snappiness, no urgency. Too much about the women having to prove themselves and not enough actual plot. Choppy editing, poor screenwriting. This was just a clunker all around. Worse than I expected actually.
    libgirl2 and Bearcata like this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

To The Bone (Netflix original).
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

FORT Fogey

Lion. Simply amazing.
    AcookerTV likes this.

Get Out.
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

The Founder. At the start I was rooting for Ray Kroc, by the end, I loathed him.
    Micheal Keaton gives an excellent performance.
    Realitychick and beerbelly like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer161 View Post
    Get Out.
    Aww really? I have this on hold at the library..dang!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Went to see The Big Sick and it was absolutely delightful. One of those love stories where you find yourself smiling and falling in love as you watch them go through it.
    beerbelly, Arielflies and momrek06 like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

+ Reply to Thread