+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 167 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3356873;
    I have been watching the "Eye's on the Prize" documentaries about the Civil Rights movement. VERY enlightening. No matter what you think you know, this documentary will open your eyes and show just exactly what it was like during that time. Hard to believe that people actually believed that racial crap. THe politicians and the law enforcement were just downright scary. It's weird, I knew it happened, I knew the gist of it, but actually seeing it and hearing it is another thing all together.
    Everyone should watch these, young, old, black, white and everything in between.
    I agree about 'Eyes on the Prize'. Very incredible and very moving. And to think it happened not that long ago as well.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly;3357238;
    I agree about 'Eyes on the Prize'. Very incredible and very moving. And to think it happened not that long ago as well.
    In my lifetime. I remember the "colored" water fountains and waiting rooms. And I started school in a segregated school. So no, not that long ago-but we've come a long way (still have a ways to go too, but have made remarkable inroads). I remember when I got Chicken pox, the doctor's office told my mom to take me in the "colored" entrance and waiting room and I was actually excited because I had never been allowed in there and thought it must be wonderful. I remember being very disappointed that it was so plain and nothing like the other waiting room.

I think the very first Eyes on the Prize moved me the most because while I had heard and read about Emmet Tille, they showed the post mortum photos and they were shocking. Cannot believe people would dohe that to a 14 year old boy.

The other thing that I find so amazing is that I am the mother of a 17 year old and so many of the activists were that age or not much older and in cases younger and the parents were brave enough to encourage their children go to to these things knowing that it could get violent, could get bad, they could get arrested, but had the courage to let them go anyway. It's our first instinct as parents to protect our kids, so I have to think that as parents that instinct had to be overridden by the fact that they didn't want their kids to have to live under the racial inequality that they had had to endure and so let them go into the path of danger to change things.,

I think its the courage of the marchers and activists and parents and families that has struck me the most. Incredible conviction and courage.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Pretty Women again.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3357377;
    I think the very first Eyes on the Prize moved me the most because while I had heard and read about Emmet Tille, they showed the post mortum photos and they were shocking. Cannot believe people would dohe that to a 14 year old boy.
    I may have to check this series out. I have had a documentary called "The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till" on my Netflix queue for a long time. It is supposed to be excellent, but I know I will have a hard time watching it...extreme racism, a 14 year old being killed... I have sons around this age and the thought of them being treated like this boy was just makes me ill.

I watched Ratatouille with my 3yr old. I didn't think I would like it but it was pretty good.

Just finished Burn after reading.
    Pretty decent dark cohen comedy.
    Was far better than the last 3 movies we rented.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

FORT Newbie

I just finished the Jane Austen Book Club and loved it! I wish I could get a group of my friends together for some sort of a book club, looks like a lot of fun.
    ]

I re-watched Forrest Gump last night. I just love that movie.

I also bought High School Musical 3 last weekend. Mostly for my daughter, who just loves movies with singing and dancing. It isn't bad, but I wouldn't rave about it either. The songs and dance numbers are entertaining. I think my fav part was the number where Troy and Gabriella waltz around the top of the school - I'm just a sucker for ballroom dancing! Followed by the number with the boys in the junkyard, that one had some fun choreography.

Failure To Launch

Sarah Jessica Parker (and her sidekicks) ultimately irritated, rather than entertained in Sex In The City, but she was cute in this, though I harbor no doubt that (to me) that appealling little squeal of hers that sounds so often in this flick would rather quickly sound chafing instead.

Entertaining movie to watch, at least on basic cable, tonight. I did find her female sidekick to be more overall appealing, however, both sexually and overall (I'm not a Parker fan).

Role Models - I thought it was actually pretty slow and boring. I normally love Paul Rudd, but he was just whiny and annoying, not funny like he usually is. Sean William Scott wasn't funny at all. The little black kid was the only funny one in the entire show. I laughed at a few parts, but overall it just seemed slow and like it was never going to end. The overall idea was funny and it shouldve been hilarious, but it just wasnt. I watched it after 4-5 of my friends told me it was crude humor and I would love it. Well, they were wrong.
    ignorance is excellence

+ Reply to Thread