+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 167 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

FORT Newbie

Re: What Film/s Did You Watch Today?

Everything is Illuminated~~ it stars Elijah Wood. The movie was better than I expected.

And on Sunday my husband I went to see 1408. I love movies that make me jump

Re: What Film/s Did You Watch Today?

I watched the Oz - The Complete Seasons ,something about a series chronicling the daily activities of an unusual prison facility and its criminal inhabitants.

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I actually really liked that tv show. I don't think I've ever seen the complete series as I missed it first airing through and reruns were sporradic at best. Unfortunately, they haven't even aired the show in many years now.
    It's amazing how many of the guys on OZ went on to bigger TV roles on shows like Lost, Law and Order: SVU, etc.

MRD

I'll probably embarrass myself by posting this, but yesterday I watched 16 candles. I just like to marvel at the change in Anthony Michael Hall from then until now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thanks for this topic. I can't answer what did I "rent," or "go see," because the only movies I see are either recorded off satellite movie channels onto my DVR, or checked out free from the library.

Yesterday I watched one that I'd never seen that has been sitting on the DVR for a while, American Psycho. I can see the intellectual themes in the movie, but it was still a disturbing slasher film. It also disturbed on a thought-provoking level, so it was an excellent film in many ways. But no matter how well done the film was, I wouldn't recommend it for viewing to my friends or family. I had a hard time getting to sleep.

Christian Bale -- stunning physique -- but, why would anyone want to play such a creepy character? No doubt it was his "calling card" to be chosen as Batman the "Dark Knight."

It was also interesting to see Chloe Sevigny and the guy who plays her creepy brother in Big Love in this movie. So funny when he comes onto Bale's character, who is about to strangle him, but then the come-on spooks the psycho killer into running away, saying he has to go return some videotapes.

(spoilers, if I'm not the only one who hadn't seen this yet, ahead...)
    The film is set in the 80s, and provides superb commentary on the life and times. All those interchangeable yuppies. Remember how "semiotics" was such a fad in the 80s? The "science of signs." Everything was a "signifier." This film perfectly illustrates the emptiness behind all that they value (that which is "signified"), be it the trendiest restaurant, the best font, paper, and color choices on business cards, or the myriad styling products Bale's character uses, all in vain because the yuppies are so interchangeable that his character is constantly being mistaken for someone else (and having to hear himself dissed as a third person.) He gets away with horrors because even his own lawyer doesn't know who he is or believe his confession. He goes back to the scene of the crime only to find it whitewashed and the realtor pretending nothing ever happened. He becomes the existential everyman who has collapsed into complete meaninglessness and disconnection from other people.

And yet, couldn't they have made a movie that so beautifully expresses all this without slashing up so many women in such disturbing ways???? If parents want to scare their daughters off of sleeping with men they don't really know, show them this movie. It will leave a lasting impression. For everyone else, save yourself the nightmares.
    Last edited by Harvest; 08-01-2008 at 04:54 PM.

We just finished Bowling for Columbine on IFC. I had forgotten how great that film is.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Plan 9 From Outer Space
    Wow. Just horrible.

Eraserhead
    I'm feeling weirded out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionan;3152639;
    Plan 9 From Outer Space
    Wow. Just horrible.

Eraserhead
    I'm feeling weirded out now.
    Isn't Eraserhead the weirdest movie? I watched it when I was in Jr High and it really creeped me out!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Child's Play, Unbreakable and most of Hostage. All good. I've seen Child's Play and Unbreakable about a dozen and a half times but they never get old. This was the first time I saw Hostage and I didn't see the end but plan on it some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    ](spoilers, if I'm not the only one who hadn't seen this yet, ahead...)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The film is set in the 80s, and provides superb commentary on the life and times. All those interchangeable yuppies. Remember how "semiotics" was such a fad in the 80s? The "science of signs." Everything was a "signifier." This film perfectly illustrates the emptiness behind all that they value (that which is "signified"), be it the trendiest restaurant, the best font, paper, and color choices on business cards, or the myriad styling products Bale's character uses, all in vain because the yuppies are so interchangeable that his character is constantly being mistaken for someone else (and having to hear himself dissed as a third person.) He gets away with horrors because even his own lawyer doesn't know who he is or believe his confession. He goes back to the scene of the crime only to find it whitewashed and the realtor pretending nothing ever happened. He becomes the existential everyman who has collapsed into complete meaninglessness and disconnection from other people.

And yet, couldn't they have made a movie that so beautifully expresses all this without slashing up so many women in such disturbing ways???? If parents want to scare their daughters off of sleeping with men they don't really know, show them this movie. It will leave a lasting impression. For everyone else, save yourself the nightmares.
    To do spoilers, Harvest simply do this: [ spoiler ] text [ / spoiler] with no spaces.
    Last edited by nilesgirl; 08-03-2008 at 12:09 AM.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;3153666;
    To do spoilers, Harvest simply do this: [ spoiler ] text [ / spoiler] with no spaces.
    I know how to tag it, but it was not necessary. It is an 8-year-old movie. I thought anyone who would have wanted to see it would have already seen it, and anyone who didn't want to read the lower end of my review would just stop reading after seeing my courtesy alert. But thanks.

Interestingly, people are still posting on that movie on IMDb. One of the threads, "Delete your post American Psycho Style," is hilarious. So many memorable lines; it must be a cult classic.

The latest movie we got from the library:
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Jesse James as played by Brad Pitt was a monster. Casey Affleck did a great job.

+ Reply to Thread