+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 152 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree206Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

I wanted to add that Ten Inch Hero is a little more sexual than Mystic Pizza. It also stars Jared Padleki (sp) of Supernatural - like you've never seen him (think kilt) and Clea Duvall.

bug I never get tired of Mystic Pizza either! I also love Love, Actually - if it weren't for the 'movie actor stand-ins' I'd share it with my kiddo - I'll wait another 10years... she'll be 18 then
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I'm watching Roots for the first time from beginning to end. I'll watch 1/2 now and 1/2 on Friday. My sister-in-law's husband loaned it to me. It's only into the 2nd hour so far but already I only really have 1 problem. (well, okay, 2 but one of them can't be controlled as it was the norm back then) I don't know if anyone here has seen it but if they have, maybe they might be able to give me some insight. In the first hour, on the ship when the Captain is given the "belly warmer" for the night. We see him looking at her and he tells her that he does not condone fornication. He then tells her his name but realizes that she doesn't understand him. He mutters a small prayer (to the heavens) and that's the last we see or hear of it. I kind of wish we would've been told what ultimately happened there. I hate scenes with no closure. Only in the 2nd hour and already I really love Levar Burton. My other problem (which as I said is uncontrollable as it was the norm back then) is the constant use of the N word. But what a great cast. Talk about "all-star". I know almost all the names in this movie. Rather disturbing to see what they went through on the ship but some really good acting.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3277940;
    I wanted to add that Ten Inch Hero is a little more sexual than Mystic Pizza. It also stars Jared Padleki (sp) of Supernatural - like you've never seen him (think kilt) and Clea Duvall.
    actually, it looks like it's Jensen Ackles, not Jared

but anyway ... my daughter is a huge fan of both of those guys (she got to meet them last year at some horror flick convention in chicago), and i looked up the movie but it's not out on dvd yet!! i wanted to be able to rent it from netflix for her. bummer.

oops, my mistake. you're right BFD! I got the wrong strange boy. It's the better looking of the two.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

hehehe, i can't tell them apart because i don't pay attention to them. my daughter, on the other hand ... that's another story ... she's even named her laptop, her car, and her ipod after supernatural characters. LOL i guess she's going to another convention in new jersey in march.

I saw Slumdog Millionaire. I've seen most of Danny Boyle's other fims and have enjoyed them. While I liked this one, I am still not sure about all the accolades it's receiving - Golden Globe, etc. It just got too predictable for me.

I'm watching the rest of Roots today.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3279140;
    I saw Slumdog Millionaire. I've seen most of Danny Boyle's other fims and have enjoyed them. While I liked this one, I am still not sure about all the accolades it's receiving - Golden Globe, etc. It just got too predictable for me.
    I agree that it was predicatable, but that didn't matter to me. To me, there were to things that made the movie unique -- the way the story was told was very creative, and the characters were SO likeable that they just drew you in. The way the story intertwined questions from the game and events from his life was very creatitve -- it kept it from being a movie that could be described as being just like another movie, and I always like when that happens. And the characters - at each age, were SO endearing that they just totally sucked me in. I got teary eyed leaving the theater because I decided I was giong to miss them. I think it especially worked because they used people who were essentially unknown. Each time I've seen the actor who played the main character since then, I'm drawn in to his smile again, almost fooling myself into thinking that he's his fictional character.

As I've indicated, I've enjoyed Danny Boyle's movies before. I thought this one was good, but, as with many other films that get overly hyped before you even see them, the expectations were pretty high. And, for the 4 of who saw it, the movie was just not up to the hype....

So I just got finished watching ROOTS and I really liked it. I only teared up at one scene and I found myself hating a couple of the characters but that's how you were supposed to react. Great cast and the acting was excellent.

+ Reply to Thread