+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree277Likes

Thread: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Re: What Films Did You Watch Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I watched Baggage Claim on HBO earlier tonight. Wow, what a stinkfest. Unfunny, bad acting, stupid plot. All I knew about Paula Patton before I watched is that she was married to Robin Thicke. Now I also know that she's a terrible actress. She was irritating and totally unappealing. I imagined even Katherine Heigl in the lead and she would have been much better and more sympathetic...... and I don't even like her. Total waste of Jill Scott and most of the other cast members too.

I try to watch most of the HBO movies as I can, but I wish I'd missed this one. It was really awful.
    I remember the reviews were dreadful when it came out in theaters.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

It definitely earned those dreadful reviews. It was terrible.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Speaking of stinkfests, I watched "The Internship" with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. Formulaic script (we're going to show those geeks street smarts!) and lazy acting. The entire movie was phoned in.

On the other hand, has anybody seen "The Hunt"? It won an Oscar for best foreign film in 2013. It's about a kindergarten teacher in Denmark accused of molestation. Really, really well done.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

Saw The Fault in Our Stars, and it was very, very good. The kids' sickness was kind of a backdrop to their everyday story that was being told. I really felt for the parents having to watch their kids be sick and ultimately die. However, the message shone through beautifully that life, love, and pain can always be found. Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort did a fantastic and believable job as the two leads. It's interesting that they are gf/bf in this film, and sister & brother in Divergent

The Fault in Our Stars was a very human movie, and it was a nice change of pace from the over-the-top Hollywood action movies.

Oculus.... half the time I wasn't quite sure what was going on or who was real and who wasn't. Maybe that was the point. Passable....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I went to see The Giver over the weekend. Now i want to read the book just to get a feel for how well they adapted it. It's a fantastic story that does make you think. I thought they did a great job using color and the cinematography as an aid in the storytelling.
    PGM35 and SpringMaiden27 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Cockneys vs. Zombies. I am so very, very tired of the loud proclamations of how brilliant British comedy is. It really is no better than any other nation's efforts, and this particular piece of "brilliance" couldn't keep me engaged any longer than ten minutes before I was alternately cyber surfing and counting stitches in the sweater I'm knitting.
    Saw this last night and LOVED it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Tucker and Dale vs. Evil We laughed so hard we snorted. Its a comedy, sort of. A bunch of sterotypical college kids go camping in red neck country. Meanwhile, best friends Dale and Tucker , a couple of backwoods good ol boys (who happen to be awfully nice and normal) are traveling in the same direction, to their newly purchased vacation home, a stereotypivcal cabin in the woods that falls under the category fixer upper. When their paths accidentally cross at a gas station the kids mistake the friendly (and in Dales case, girl shy) best friends for crazy, inbred serial killers. Hi-jinks ensue when Tucker and Dale out fishing in the midnight bayou, save one of the kids from drowning. Her friends are convinced shes being held captive (in fact, Dale and Tucker are nursing her back to health in their ramshackle cabin). She winds up hanging with Dale and Tucker, helping them fix up their dream house, playing board games while her friends, one by one, ineptly try to `save' her, in scenes reminiscent of woodchippers (nod to fargo) and other silliness that dont quite go the kids way. Youll fall in love ith good guys Dale and Tucker(who are constantly just trying to set things right ) and their new college pal(for once a female horror movie character who isnt a blathering, inept moron) while hissing and booing her idiotic friends. It was made on a low budget but that hasnt stopped it from becoming a cult classic since its 2010 release. Yes, there are some gross scenes, but its more like comedic splatter than over the top shock fest. You arent so much terrified as rooting for the affable heroes Tucker and Dale. The ending is a nice twist, as well.
    Saw this one a few weeks ago and again LOVED IT!

Has anyone seen The Normal Heart? It won some Emmys, so I guess it was on one of the movie channels. I read a summary of the movie, but I still don't understand why it has that title. I'm curious. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Has anyone seen The Normal Heart? It won some Emmys, so I guess it was on one of the movie channels. I read a summary of the movie, but I still don't understand why it has that title. I'm curious. Anyone know?
    I saw it and found it to be fantastic. Not sure about the title as it quite awhile ago that I watched it.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread